• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Need bindings for mogul skis

Adin

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
So I have some hart mogul skis and I need bindings with a narrow enough brake width for them. I'm just a recreational skier and not trying to blow more than $150-170 on bindings. Any ideas?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Ideally, you will want some Look Pivots (Rossignol FKS) bindings. It is tough to find the narrow brake options unless you find some mid 2000's Rossignol or Dynastar Race Skis. Other option is to keep an eye out for close out race bindings, they will have narrow brakes and also take the abuse of mogul skiing.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
As @Philpug said Look Pivots are available in a 75mm brake and places like Corbetts.com have the Pivot 12 on for $209 Can/$160 US but not sure if they have it in that brake size.
Another option if you’re not too high on the DIN is to get the Look SPX 10 in the 73mm brake. About $100 US for those and I’ve used those on a pair of old school mogul skis running a 10 din and didn’t have any release issues on them.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
If you end up with a Salomon binding there are usually plenty of folks on this an other forums looking to trade their narrower brakes for the wider ones that came on your new bindings. @Philpug and others have brake stashes and being that wider ones are higher demand these days, finding some narrower ones to swap out for the wider ones that come on new bindings isn't usually that difficult.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Look is one of the few bindings you can get brakes under 75mm widths unless you go to race bindings which won’t flex properly on a mogul ski. Most current Salomon bindings start at 90mm widths so they are too wide.

Pivot or lower DIN SPX(SPX 12 don’t have 73/75 mm brakes) are pretty much your only options for mogul skis. One of the many reasons 100% of mogul pros use Pivots.

TS
A

Adin

Skier
Thanks for all the responses. @GregK do you know where I could get look pivot 12 with 75mm brake for 160usd? I couldnt find a place. Also, I found atomic z12’s with a 75mm brake. Does anyone know anything about those for bump skis?

Also, the look spx 10 is called a “junior” binding. Does that matter if I choose to go that direction?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks for all the responses. @GregK do you know where I could get look pivot 12 with 75mm brake for 160usd? I couldnt find a place. Also, I found atomic z12’s with a 75mm brake. Does anyone know anything about those for bump skis?

Also, the look spx 10 is called a “junior” binding. Does that matter if I choose to go that direction?
I would sooner ski a Look SPX10 than a Salomon/Atomic Z12. The only Pivots you will find for 160USD will be used ones, not that they are bad. What do you weigh?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier

Corbetts.com for Pivot 12 for $160 US but they don’t list a 75mm brake so you’ll have to contact them to see if they have it available. They also have the SPX10 73 for $129.99 CAN/$100 US.

Yes, the SPX 10 73 is geared towards jr race skis/lighter skier use but I’ve used them before skiing HARD in the terrain park/moguls using them with no issues. Had friends use those bindings on older skinny park skis for urban use and they abused them but never pre-released either.

First choice would be the Pivot 12 75mm of course but the SPX10 were also very good and should be fine with your size.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Most current Salomon bindings start at 90mm widths so they are too wide.
There is an 80mm brake option for Sth2/Wardens. Here is the part # L3512430010

I agree with the SPX 10 for you. It is very well the best 10 binding offered.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Honestly for someone under 180 pounds the Jr binding would make a BETTER bump ski binding than the adult version. Jr binding will be lighter and thus quicker under foot.

TS
A

Adin

Skier
Alright thanks everyone. I think I’m going to go with the look spx 10. Really appreciate all the help!!

CS2-6

>50% Chicken Fried Steak w/w
Skier
Around 160-165lb

That's what I weigh and I'm on 2018/2019 Look Pivot 12 (as per Forerunner recommendation).

Zrxman01

Out on the slopes
Skier
B1886AC4-828C-4400-ACA1-FFF59AAFF818.jpeg
I weight a little more than you but have the Look SPX 12 on my Dynastar Twisters (far right hand side with all my other ski crap). The local shop in western NY was able to source a narrow enough Look brake that fits perfectly. When you click in they are very solid! If I recall they are also well under $200.00 and in your budget. Good luck and happy bumping!

Sponsor

Staff online