• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thread drift but just want to say thanks to Mr Briggs your advice seems to always be really sound and I like the fact that your setup’s and equipment isn’t so aggressive, not that there’s anything wrong with aggressive but more in line for weekend warriors.

TS
J

Jason Kurth

Putting on skis
Skier
Here are a couple videos from Friday training last week.

Frank podiumed in the first and was fourth in the second race.

Jeanette is a former Canadian ski team DHer. She DQed the first race and was first in the second.

Looking at these again, are those recent training vids how the DH course will be set so tight or is that just for the training camp? It looks pretty different from the first 2011 vid.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Looking at these again, are those recent training vids how the DH course will be set so tight or is that just for the training camp? It looks pretty different from the first 2011 vid.

The different POV may be making the recent runs look turnier than the older video. The recent course had some quick turns, but had the usual vertical distances. The minimum vertical distance was probably 50 m. Many places were much more. There is only so much variation available with the direct straight line trail. Other factors such as snow cover can impact the course set, but it is typically swing gates at the top, a big sweeper into a straight followed by corridors that take you over rolling terrain with some compressions and dips. Then the second flat. This is where most variation takes place. The recent set was swing gates requiring quick turns but still quite doable on 218 45m skis as was demonstrated by some of the racers. The final few turns are pretty much set in concrete; swoop left, swoop right, wiggle to the finish.

So, you can expect the course to be set like it was in all the videos. ;-)

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Thread drift but just want to say thanks to Mr Briggs your advice seems to always be really sound and I like the fact that your setup’s and equipment isn’t so aggressive, not that there’s anything wrong with aggressive but more in line for weekend warriors.

Thanks, @Viking9 . I have optimised my gear over time for racing in CO. That usually means little to no ice on DHs. It is also a known opinion that people often get stiffer boots than they need to get the job done. That is sort of fortunate as you can soften a stiff boot, but you can't stiffen a soft one nearly as easily.

When I raced WC in '77, I had Nordica GPs for tech (fixed upper cuff, no hinge) and Nordica GTs for DH (floating upper cuff, softer flex).

TS
J

Jason Kurth

Putting on skis
Skier
Ok interesting it might be the perspective of the video making it look tighter. The POV run and videos of the inspection looked much more reasonable.

The skis I got are 216 and >45r, I think the actual radius is like 48m. The super G skis are 210 and >33m (38m actual)

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Ok interesting it might be the perspective of the video making it look tighter. The POV run and videos of the inspection looked much more reasonable.

The skis I got are 216 and >45r, I think the actual radius is like 48m. The super G skis are 210 and >33m (38m actual)

You'll have no problem with DH at Cooper with those skis to choose from. SG depends on the coursesetter. I'll have some Stoekli 201 33m SGs available for loan should you be interested in giving them a go.

TS
J

Jason Kurth

Putting on skis
Skier
Ended up in head rs speeds (rs140). Two bootfitters, bootboard shims, tongue shims, some side punches, new insoles, and hottronics later they feel pretty good. Looking forward to this weekend.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ended up in head rs speeds (rs140). Two bootfitters, bootboard shims, tongue shims, some side punches, new insoles, and hottronics later they feel pretty good. Looking forward to this weekend.

Tear it up (in a good way)!

Buy Doug Briggs a beer (or seven) for the free online coaching!

TS
J

Jason Kurth

Putting on skis
Skier
@Jason Kurth I wasn’t sure where to post this, but if you don’t have plans in May ...
https://www.americandownhiller.com/masters-camp-mammoth-may-11-13/

I had heard about this and wished I could go.

Yes! I'm still debating it if I want to go and spend the money. Looking interesting flights are kinda pricey though for me plus $750 for the weekend/lift tix/lodging

i might if I can get off work again and swing it. I just got back from breck to try to do the sg/gs there a couple weeks ago but we got so much snow each day they cancelled both races.

Oh and Doug if you're wondering how my boot cam footage turned out from cooper this is one of the race runs:

I think I see my mistakes but pointers are always welcome. I was satisfied for my first masters race and speed event.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Yes! I'm still debating it if I want to go and spend the money. Looking interesting flights are kinda pricey though for me plus $750 for the weekend/lift tix/lodging

i might if I can get off work again and swing it. I just got back from breck to try to do the sg/gs there a couple weeks ago but we got so much snow each day they cancelled both races.

Oh and Doug if you're wondering how my boot cam footage turned out from cooper this is one of the race runs:

I think I see my mistakes but pointers are always welcome. I was satisfied for my first masters race and speed event.

You did great. One thing that really stands out as a plus is the engagement of your inside ski. You really did a good job tipping it on edge. Your line is a bit wide and just by tightening it up, you'll be able to cut of lots of time.

Sponsor

Staff online