• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jason Kurth

Putting on skis
Skier
So at 29 I've decided I want to get back into racing and try some masters speed events- mainly DH but will also do some SG. Trying on race boots around here is out of the question, and I don't have time to spend a day or so boot shopping on my next trip in a few weeks. I'm doing a DH/SG a couple weeks after that trip and next season will probably get out to 3-4 races. So for now I'm kind of stuck ordering online and I can take to a bootfitter for minor adjustment if needed but I want something that will be close out of the box.

Currently I have some salomon x max 100s, which are pretty stiff for a 100 flex boot and feel more like a 120 in other brands. The fit is amazing and I've been told I have a salomon shaped foot, I needed zero adjustment out of the box. However I do think I want something slightly stiffer and mainly with more forward lean as the salomons are pretty upright. I've been considering the salomon x max 130/130 race since I know it will fit the same (perfectly) just be stiffer with a better liner, the only problem would be lack of forward lean and I want something more aggressive there. Can they be modified with a spoiler or something to get more forward? Not sure how much that would give me and if it would be the same.

I saw some cheap head raptor 120s online and snagged them, but ordered two sizes too big by mistake- t thought I remembered I was a 28.5 when I need a 26.5, and they just had 28.5. Oops- they're going back, but still trying them on I can feel the difference in forward angle cranking them down. In the 28.5 they are way big in the calf and had to be cranked down to max to fit my skinny calves and even then are a bit loose. So I'm not sure if even in the proper size they would fit my calves well or be small enough in general. They also didn't feel that stiff, not too much stiffer than the salomon x max 100s.

So I was thinking about trying the head raptor B3 rd which should be narrower all around but not sure if that would be a good idea. The cant on the B3s is less at .5* vs 1.2* on the 120 rs. I'm a little bow legged so I'm hesitant to go for less cant but there is internal cant adjustment on the B3s so maybe that would be enough to adjust and compensate for. I can find a decent deal on some 2015 B3s that might be worth trying.

The other thing I was thinking was the new fischer podiums but I can't find them in stock online anywhere, so also maybe last years fischer rc4 130 vacuum full fit which I could get kinda cheap but have heard mixed things. I've had a bootfitter here recommend them for me but they didn't have them to try.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sorry to disappoint but you will need to get to a shop to get a fit. Any "plug" boot will need significant work to get a proper fit out of the box.

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
So at 29 I've decided I want to get back into racing and try some masters speed events- mainly DH but will also do some SG. Trying on race boots around here is out of the question, and I don't have time to spend a day or so boot shopping on my next trip in a few weeks. I'm doing a DH/SG a couple weeks after that trip and next season will probably get out to 3-4 races. So for now I'm kind of stuck ordering online and I can take to a bootfitter for minor adjustment if needed but I want something that will be close out of the box.

Currently I have some salomon x max 100s, which are pretty stiff for a 100 flex boot and feel more like a 120 in other brands. The fit is amazing and I've been told I have a salomon shaped foot, I needed zero adjustment out of the box. However I do think I want something slightly stiffer and mainly with more forward lean as the salomons are pretty upright. I've been considering the salomon x max 130/130 race since I know it will fit the same (perfectly) just be stiffer with a better liner, the only problem would be lack of forward lean and I want something more aggressive there. Can they be modified with a spoiler or something to get more forward? Not sure how much that would give me and if it would be the same.

I saw some cheap head raptor 120s online and snagged them, but ordered two sizes too big by mistake- t thought I remembered I was a 28.5 when I need a 26.5, and they just had 28.5. Oops- they're going back, but still trying them on I can feel the difference in forward angle cranking them down. In the 28.5 they are way big in the calf and had to be cranked down to max to fit my skinny calves and even then are a bit loose. So I'm not sure if even in the proper size they would fit my calves well or be small enough in general. They also didn't feel that stiff, not too much stiffer than the salomon x max 100s.

So I was thinking about trying the head raptor B3 rd which should be narrower all around but not sure if that would be a good idea. The cant on the B3s is less at .5* vs 1.2* on the 120 rs. I'm a little bow legged so I'm hesitant to go for less cant but there is internal cant adjustment on the B3s so maybe that would be enough to adjust and compensate for. I can find a decent deal on some 2015 B3s that might be worth trying.

The other thing I was thinking was the new fischer podiums but I can't find them in stock online anywhere, so also maybe last years fischer rc4 130 vacuum full fit which I could get kinda cheap but have heard mixed things. I've had a bootfitter here recommend them for me but they didn't have them to try.
I just had 3* of forward lean added to my Head Raptor 110 W's so adding forward lean is possible for some boots.

TS
J

Jason Kurth

Putting on skis
Skier
Buying online and taking to a bootfitter and paying to have them fit is also an option, the problem is getting to a shop that also has any of these in stock in my size.

This is also why I'm wondering if it's possible to try to change the forward lean on the salomon x max 130 to be more aggressive with some sort of rear insert, or if they could be heat molded for more forward lead. I know they will otherwise fit me perfectly out of the box.

I've thought about giving the raptor rs another shot in the right size, but even going two sizes down the the right size I think they might be a bit too loose for me. I know it's hard to judge how a boot fits in the wrong size, but it did feel like there was a lot of space above the front of the foot and a bit on the sides. The 28.5s are 98mm last where 26.5 would be 96mm which would help, I'm just not sure how much tighter in the calf going down two sizes would be and if it would be enough.

Seems like in the right size it would fit like a lange. I went to a local shop yesterday and they didn't have any race boots but the guy let me try on a customer's lange rs 130s he had there in 26.5 and they were nice but didn't fit as snug as the salomons.

Since I have a smaller foot it also has me thinking that maybe I wouldn't need much work to fit in a plug boot like the b3.

Last edited:
TS
J

Jason Kurth

Putting on skis
Skier
Ok I may have just found my answer

Salomon has a real plug race boot the x lab+ 130. Looks like it has more forward lean (looks like, but can anyone confirm?), 95mm last, and would probably be perfect for me.

https://www.salomon.com/us/product/x-lab--130.html?article=391613

The only question is where the hell can I get them?

it looks like salomon might have restrictions about shipping this to the US? ugh

edit- ordered a pair from an austrian store, we'll see if they ship them without issue

Last edited:
TS
J

Jason Kurth

Putting on skis
Skier
Boots are ordered. I know salomon fits me best according to two bootfitters so I think this is the right choice and the salmon x lab 130+ just isn't available anywhere in the states to try on first. I'll take them to a bootfitter when I get them to see if they need any adjustment but I don't expect much considering how the x max line fits me and these are only 1mm last smaller at 95mm.

I wanted the heads to work for me due to the hype and aesthetics but I think I made the right choice. At this point in the season it's hard enough finding any current race boots available online let alone in a store to try. I called around in vermont near where I'll be soon and nobody has anything.

Last edited:

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Bit perplexed at why the OP even asked......seemed to have a plan in mind.

"Doing a SG/DH..." Best of luck. Get them dialed in by a good bootfitter. It's important. And if the boot fitter tells you they're the wrong boot for you, please listen.

Certainly not how most go about setting up speed boots.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
7A8204AE-145A-48F7-8488-170C32C180BB.jpeg
26FCB502-8943-42B8-A75C-615CD2E3D870.jpeg

That boot needs a lot of work.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Brian just printed those at home, btw.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
That's why they need a paint job.

TS
J

Jason Kurth

Putting on skis
Skier
Bit perplexed at why the OP even asked......seemed to have a plan in mind.

"Doing a SG/DH..." Best of luck. Get them dialed in by a good bootfitter. It's important. And if the boot fitter tells you they're the wrong boot for you, please listen.

Certainly not how most go about setting up speed boots.

I just didn't know the x lab existed when I made this thread, if I had seen it I probably wouldn't have asked since it ticked off everything I was looking for in the first post. And yeah If it doesn't work out I'm prepared to try something else.

I don't know how else I could go about finding a race boot now since hardly anywhere has any left and most shops don't stock race boots to begin with. Bootfitters are great but if they don't have the right selection of boots to try it doesn't help much.

Last edited:
TS
J

Jason Kurth

Putting on skis
Skier
Well the site I ordered from is backordered and I wouldn't get them in time so that's canceled.

I'll call around to a couple other bootfitters first and see if they have anything.

Backup plan is to order the 2013 xlab model which is similar and cheaper, and maybe order a head rs 140 and 2015 head b3 and see what fits best and return the others (would probably try the 140 first and only the b3 if that isn't snug enough)

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
@Jason Kurth,

Where are you located? What part of the country? You might get some good suggestions from folks here in terms of boot people who specialize in race product and setting them up. Just a thought.
Best of luck.

TS
J

Jason Kurth

Putting on skis
Skier
I live in Florida (lol). I'm often is southern vermont/stratton area. I'll be there in a few weeks. I'm trying to get in touch with green mountain orthotic lab now.

edit: talked to them on the phone, he tried to talk me out of a plug boot which is probably good advice but says they only have lang and rossi race type (non plug) boots to try, but those are a bit wide for me from experience.

Last edited:

Bootguy

Booting up
Skier
I live in Florida (lol). I'm often is southern vermont/stratton area. I'll be there in a few weeks. I'm trying to get in touch with green mountain orthotic lab now.

edit: talked to them on the phone, he tried to talk me out of a plug boot which is probably good advice but says they only have lang and rossi race type (non plug) boots to try, but those are a bit wide for me from experience.

Hi Jason,
I didn’t try to talk you out of a plug boot today, I tried to make you aware of what you are looking for. Your XMax ranges in width from 98-104mm depending on how it was fit., unless it was an XMax race, then it would be 96-102. Those are very generous (roomy) for their published width. The Xlab is 95mm but a very different last than either of the previously mentioned boots. Much lower instep.

You are interested in Plugs which are expensive, you are going to need custom footbeds, more than likely grinding to fit, and balancing. All of this is expensive. And if I remember our conversation correctly you are going to your first masters race In March. It is a big financial commitment, I just want to make sure you are making a good choice

TS
J

Jason Kurth

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks, and yeah I got mixed up on the xmax. Mine are 98 and it's the race I was looking at that is 96. I thought about it after our conversation and I do think it is a good warning to not necessarily look for a plug straight away. Maybe later on if this is something I'm going to stick with but I don't think I have the time for that kind of fitting work now.

I do have a lower instep, and my problem with most boots tend to be feeling loose on the top of the foot, heel, and shin area.

As for the price of boots themselves- If I sourced them I can find some good plug boots from the last few seasons for cheaper than a lot of off the shelf boots ($300-$400 for x-lab or head b3, and can get current fischers with 40% discount). I don't know how much money I would have to spend to get them properly fit though.