• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Need a job? Tahoe ski resorts are scrambling to hire early-season help

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
From the article:
Entry-level jobs typically pay between $12 and $15 per hour.

That, folks, is the problem. You can't live in the Tahoe region on that.

TS
RollingLeaf

RollingLeaf

Booting up
Skier
$12/hour is a little lean for Tahoe. But, if the resorts are able to help with housing, it'd be doable. These jobs would be ideal for people just out of high school who don't want to go to college right-away and want to ski a lot. ; )

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
There was exactly one half of one sentence in the article that mentioned some employers offer help with staff housing when in fact it is really a lack of housing that is creating all the unfilled job postings.

Tahoe is not alone in the staff housing problem. I recently shared a chairlift ride at Sun Peaks with a young Aussie who had all the paperwork needed to get a job but was finding that prospective employers were first asking in interviews if he had a place to live for the season. He is currently staying temporarily at the hostel so I suggested applying to the SP Grand Hotel or SP Resort Corp who do have some staff housing (but more than likely no vacancies).

IMO, one of the reasons that Sun Peaks hasn't joined Ikon or Epic or other pass groups is because they don't have enough on mountain beds to accommodate any significant increase in skier visits OR staff.

Novaloafah

Should've paid attention to that lesson.
Skier
If the wage you are paying doesn't allow folk to come work for you....maybe you need to pay more? Not looking to open a living wage debate but it seems simple to me anyways that if you need labour in a market where it's tough to attract labour then you need to pay more or have another benefit(housing/subsidized housing?)