• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive

I have two pairs of the generation one Bodacious, 185cm and 196cm. This year's Bodacious is the relaunch of that layup, and I'm about to acquire a new pair as one of mine has a lot of days. Have not known anybody who really "needs" a ski of the size {193cm-196cm}, and who had skied many days on the original Bodacious who liked, let alone preferred, the model that they're selling here. Never did it for me. They've been a tough sale, I hear. So yes, attractive price. And if you had not skied the original, aka the 2017-2018, and didn't have that comparison, these might work. I know a few people under contract with Blizz, who kept the original Bodacious in the closet.

I'm still curious about a response to the question of where the OP intends ski his big bad, long skis. Same question as @BGreen. I know pros who ski 200+ days a year, who only ski some of the "big" skis on his list a few days a season. Generally stepping out of a heli into very wide open spaces. I've skied my 196cm in similar situations, in the morning and then sized down as things get skied out. No way am I skiing the long ski in tight spaces. I have ten times as many days on the 185cm. I'm also hoping to get my mitts on a pair of gently used Enforcer Pro's.115mm, 191cm. The current owner has a couple of pairs.....Hear very good things.

So......I'm curious about the OP's skier size, skier destinations, deep snow and steeps experience, etc. Kind a quick explanation of why he wants them, and thinks they are the right ski. They well might be. Could also be a handful. The references to "if it were stiffer"......confuse me a bit. As do the comments about float. If it's about playful, fun floaters....different list, IMO.

Last edited:
TS
J

Jason Kurth

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm still curious about a response to the question of where the OP intends ski his big bad, long skis. Same question a @BGreen. I know pros who ski 200+ days a year, who only ski some of the "big" skis on his list a few days a season. Generally stepping out of a heli into very wide open spaces. I've skied my 196cm in similar situations, in the morning and then sized down as things get skied out. No way amI skiing the long skiing tight spaces. I'm also hoping to get my mitts on a pair of gently used Enforcer Pro's.115mm, 191cm. The current owner has a couple of pairs.....Hear very good things.

So......I'm curious about the OP's skier size, skier destinations, deep snow and steeps experience, etc. Kind a quick explanation of why he wants them, and thinks they are the right ski. They well might be. Could also be a handful. The references to "if it were stiffer"......confuse me a bit. As do the comments about float. If it's about playful, fun floaters....different list, IMO.

I don't know why I really need to justify wanting a ski like this. It is definitely a 'wants' more than 'needs'. I like the nordica enforcer 93s for most normal days, but above like 9" of powder I would want a wider ski. So this is the spot in the quiver I'm looking to fill. I like long skis and feel comfortable on them. I'm 5'10" 180lb. I skiied two powder days on 207 40m SG skis, it was... interesting. But freeskiing super g skis in normal conditions feels easy and fun to me and they seem maneuverable. Now all skis under 200cm just feel short. My 193cm enforcer 93s feel fine and if anything I want longer.

James

Out There
Instructor
I have two pairs of the generation one Bodacious, 185cm and 196cm. This year's Bodacious is the relaunch of that layup...
I think that gen 1 is the ski @markojp raves about for that category. Has a pair buried in the yard he goes out and talks to... (j:k)

What a shock,they went backwards. Take all the metal out, add carbon to the tips, and Darth Vader's former flagship is...now for everyone! Except even Princess Leia wants the old one.

Muleski

Inactive
I don't know why I really need to justify wanting a ski like this. It is definitely a 'wants' more than 'needs'. I like the nordica enforcer 93s for most normal days, but above like 9" of powder I would want a wider ski. So this is the spot in the quiver I'm looking to fill. I like long skis and feel comfortable on them. I'm 5'10" 180lb. I skiied two powder days on 207 40m SG skis, it was... interesting. But freeskiing super g skis in normal conditions feels easy and fun to me and they seem maneuverable. Now all skis under 200cm just feel short. My 193cm enforcer 93s feel fine and if anything I want longer.

Sorry.....wasn't trying to make you uncomfortable, etc. or to make you think this was some type of inquisition. Not at all.
On Pugski, we generally suggest the more information, the better to help fellow Pugskiers make good, informed decisions.
You have some some pretty firm preferences.....just saying. Don't think I can help much, based on the size preference.

Skiing powder on SG's is "different." Have skied big powder days on my favorite powder ski of the day in the mid 80's, though, a pair of 213cm Fischer GS skis. It can be done! Not my choice.

As mentioned, I own the Bocadious and have about 100+ days on them. Two lengths. I've skied the 191cm Enforcer Pro's for a few days this season, and look forward to a pair. I have skied the Confession, and it's "a lot of ski." For real steeps, very big turns, and quite a bit of speed, it's a pretty nice ski. I was given a pair of Spurs when they were being developed. Never impressed.

If you were saying I want a fun powder ski that I can ski fast on, get some float, make big turns and also deal with some tight spaces {like trees and maybe a field of bigger pillow-like bumps, I think we'd have some other suggestions.

You like long skis and have your own opinions on "float"........which none of the folks skiing most of these skis really buy them for.

The Faction, BTW is skied by friends of mine who are at least as concerned with ascending as with the way down.The ski is a lightweight. Most mount with AT tech bindings. It's really a good ski for what it's intended for, IMO. Like Blizz Zero-G 108. My favorite touring ski these days. It's a "B" descending, though. I would never use it as lift, heli, or cat served ski.

Based on your comments, a ski like a 193cm Patron might have been a great choice. No longer in production. BUT, I'd bet that you would have bought the Helldorado, same dimensions, metal, bad-ass black look. The Helldorado was a notoriously shitty power ski.
I've logged about 30 days on a Patron and a half dozen on Helldorado. They were about 115mm wide in a 193cm. A lightly used, or left over Patron might be a good choice. They ski very well on a groomed surface.....think skiing back to the lifts.

The other thing would be to demo on your next trip to powder...a couple skis, and maybe even a couple of lengths.

Best of luck.

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don't know why I really need to justify wanting a ski like this.

No one asked you to justify anything. I asked where you are skiing that you feel the need to be going bigger and bigger. I ask because I seem to be going smaller. Skills, strength, ability is definitely part of it, but I seem to be going shorter because the shorter skis have a playful feel that the bigger skis I’ve been on seem to lose. My friends (independently) have also gone to a slightly shorter ski. I’m not sure if it is because of the terrain/topography we tend to ski, type of snow that we get, or something else. Just because someone asks why you made the choice you did, doesn’t mean they are judging you.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Very specialized ski with a unique feel. If your home area supports a quiver of powder skis then these have a place, other wise there are better skis for resort use. And they are not suitable for touring either, the revers camber and side-cut really suck on a skin track. They are for sled skiing, cat skiing, or similar pursuits.
Hint of sarcasm there...

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
onger in production. BUT, I'd bet that you would have bought the Helldorado, same dimensions, metal, bad-ass black look. The Helldorado was a notoriously shitty power ski.
I've logged about 30 days on a Patron and a half dozen on Helldorado. They were about 115mm wide in a 193cm. A lightly used, or left over Patron might be a good choice. They ski very well on a groomed surface.....think skiing back to the lifts.

Man, I had forgotten about the Patron. I loved that ski when I demoed it a few years back. I though it was just awesome in mid winter pow and chalk here in Colorado. My Cousin's husband has one in 193cm with Demo bindings in good shape. Il ask if he wants to sell it.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
No one asked you to justify anything. I asked where you are skiing that you feel the need to be going bigger and bigger. I ask because I seem to be going smaller. Skills, strength, ability is definitely part of it, but I seem to be going shorter because the shorter skis have a playful feel that the bigger skis I’ve been on seem to lose. My friends (independently) have also gone to a slightly shorter ski. I’m not sure if it is because of the terrain/topography we tend to ski, type of snow that we get, or something else. Just because someone asks why you made the choice you did, doesn’t mean they are judging you.

In general, I take people's narratives at face value. What i like doesn't really apply. For the OP, 196 Bodacious (17-18)... done. Fwiw, I've never felt a need for the 196, but it isn't germane.

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
In general, I take people's narratives at face value. What i like doesn't really apply. For the OP, 196 Bodacious (17-18)... done. Fwiw, I've never felt a need for the 196, but it isn't germane.

No, but understanding the thought process behind a decision helps everyone on the forum including people who may be reading this two years from now.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Firstly, let's recall the old saying "Short Skis Suck, Long Skis Truck!" Kidding aside, the OP should buy the style of ski he wants. Even if it's wrong, there's no better way to figure that out than firsthand knowledge. A few added bits:

I skied a pair of those 202s on Tuesday. They were really fun. The Fischer 115 in 196cm sounds pretty serious. Apparently, the athletes call it "The Truth", think Jack Nicholson.

If I'm not mistaken, the Fischer Ranger 115 in 196 is actually a big boy, with a waist of 118 in that length, and the rest of the ski scaled up proportionately. I held a pair in my hands in Jackson Hole this year, but can't seem to find any hard beta on them right now. Bad Google-Fu, I guess. I ski the 188 length and love it. It's not slow or quick. It's a Goldilocks everything ski for me. Well, at least at the moment, but let's not get into my issues...

Man, I had forgotten about the Patron. I loved that ski when I demoed it a few years back. I though it was just awesome in mid winter pow and chalk here in Colorado. My Cousin's husband has one in 193cm with Demo bindings in good shape. Il ask if he wants to sell it.

I owned the Patron in 193. It feels like a 185. Not that there's anything wrong with that (thanks, Jerry!), but is is most assuredly not a "big" ski.

Muleski

Inactive
Firstly, let's recall the old saying "Short Skis Suck, Long Skis Truck!" Kidding aside, the OP should buy the style of ski he wants. Even if it's wrong, there's no better way to figure that out than firsthand knowledge.

I owned the Patron in 193. It feels like a 185. Not that there's anything wrong with that (thanks, Jerry!), but is is most assuredly not a "big" ski.

Yep. That's why I mentioned the Patron. It's a playful, fun, much loved by a lot of people, 193cm. It skis short as hell in my opinion, but many people love it. And no, it's not a "big bad ass ski." If you're filming in Alaska, for example, it might not be a good choice......

I'll roll over.....and leave it to the professional reviewers on here to "help." I really was trying to help.....not be critical, at all.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
TS
J

Jason Kurth

Putting on skis
Skier
3 pages and no one has suggested a 195cm Stockli Stormrider 115? 28m turn radius, smooth and damp powder rocket.

Wow stockli says 17r, shop says 24r, and ski topsheet says 28r.

looks nice but im not spending over $1000 on skis

Sponsor