• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

California/Nevada Near LA for an afternoon/night.

Bigtinnie

Formerly 'sbooker' in another world.
Skier
Hi. I'm looking for a suggestion of where to stay close to LA (within two hours drive of the airport - preferably on the northern side as we're driving from Mammoth) for a night before we fly out from LAX.
We've done the theme parks and Santa Monica and Beverly Hills etc so would like something different. We are a family of 4. Kids are 10 and 12.
It will be a Saturday so maybe a sporting thing? Or even a nice golf course. Something quintessentially LA - something the locals would do - would be great.
Thanks in advance.

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
LA in the summer evening...a baseball game or evening concert at Hollywood Bowl or any free ones offered all over the city.

Second La Brea Tar Pit suggestion, LA County Museum of Art next door has free Saturday evening concerts.

TS
Bigtinnie

Bigtinnie

Skier
Sorry. Should have mentioned. This is for next January.
The beach thing we do all the time. We live one hour from the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast. Maybe something we can't do at home?
Going to a shooting range would be different I guess. And the Hollywood Bowl sounds good.

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
If it's January the Hollywood Bowl won't be an option, nor will a baseball game at Dodger Stadium. That's not so say there won't be concerts or sporting events to go to, but you'd have to see who is in town the day you're there.

Maybe you'd enjoy staying in Pasadena or Burbank?

I like hiking in Griffith Park. It has amazing views of the city. Somebody mentioned the La Brea Tar Pits. Those are pretty cool too. There are lots of museums and botanical gardens, etc.. if you're into that sort of thing.

TS
Bigtinnie

Bigtinnie

Skier
The Griffith Observatory, the Getty Center, Farmers Market, LA County Museum of Art, Olvera Street.
The Griffith Observatory and park look great. I assume there would be accomodation and restaurants close by?

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Griffith Observatory and park look great. I assume there would be accomodation and restaurants close by?

Well, it's in the heart of LA, so yes, for certain values of 'close by'. I grew up near LA and have relatives there, so that kind of determines where I stay and eat and I tend to take the driving somewhat for granted, but Burbank, Glendale, and Hollywood are all proximate to Griffith Park. You shouldn't have much trouble finding a place to stay and something to eat.

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier

This is exactly right. Not sure if you use the YELP app but I had great success with it to find restaurants last week when I visited San Francisco.
You should be able to find some very interesting places to eat in that area.

When I hike Griffith Park I like to park on the other side of the ridge from the observatory where there is a large lot near the carousel. Then I take the road/trail up the ridge. Griffith Park has lots of fire roads and trails all through the park.

Here is a link to a page that includes a map at the bottom.
https://www.timeout.com/los-angeles/things-to-do/things-to-do-in-griffith-park

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If early January, the Rose Parade and the float display few days before and after.

Watts Towers is an iconic Los Angeles monument, be sure to look up the schedule for a guided tour and enter the area. It's a wonderful family outing with plenty of fun topics for discussion, be watchful around the neighborhood though.

Second Getty Museum, if not for the museum, for the garden and the view of LA. Free entrance, just have to pay for parking.

Any special interests for the kids? My nephew loved Petersen's Automotive Museum which is next to La Brea Tar Pit and LACMA. Fan of La La Land? Retrace some of the locations...

I find downtown has interesting sights and casual dining: Millennium Biltmore Hotel, the Last Bookstore, Angels Flight (in La La Land), Bradbury Building, and Grand Central Market. All within walking distance. Oh, don't miss the Broad (museum, pop and contemporary art), kids would like this one too, be sure to reserve free tickets in advance.

Last edited: