• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

NBA....playoffs

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I like the idea of a salary cap in the NBA. Lets even the playing field a bit so coaching becomes more important and strategy of assembling the right team becomes more important. Right now, the Warriors are like the Lakers of the 80s if they added Bird or for that matter they are like the Celtics of the 80s if they added Magic. Unfair IMO.
Although I am obviously a Warriors fan, I do agree. Not unfair, but not desirable. Nobody can touch them and ultimately that's no fun. But the salary cap does little for it. Every player on GS is taking less money in order to be there. A lot less in some cases.

I think the real culprit is the way the union contract balloons veteran play. The short-sighted and greedy, and that is most people, look at that and say "I'm the best, show me love, show me the money". Those guys (Harden for example) are never going to be on a championship team.

The smart ones understand that real money comes from endorsements and endorsements come from winning (Steph and pretty much all of the Warriors). Lebron gets credit for this too. But ultimately he has failed to surround himself with people willing to make the same concessions. That is the difference between Cleveland and GS right there.

I do want to see parity in the league. But until the player pay levels out, where stars make a smaller % of the overall cap (not saying reduce the cap), it won't happen. Or if everybody gets smart and starts taking less voluntarily to be on a winning team. Yeah, right.

TS
Muleski

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
oops, hit send too fast. More to follow later on.......

Sorry!

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
If anyone's wondering what happened to LeBron and the Cavs the other night TMZ showed me their answer. Rihanna showed up and sat in the front row to cheer for LeBron and the Cavs. She kept standing up and walking out on to the court between plays to show her support for King James. She was even genuflecting in front of him. He was totally distracted and thrown off his game by her.

She Jessica Simpsoned James and the Cavs hahahaha!

170602092257-0601-rihanna-nba-game-1-exlarge-169.jpg

They're doomed!

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
LeBron James played point guard and put on a clinic for the lowly Bulls. I know this was like practice for him, but still hugely talented. Check out this three minute highlight video:

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
Ha, I noticed he was playing the point last night too. No surprise that he did well - he has such an incredible skill level for someone his size, for someone any size really.

What an amazing offseason eh? Maybe the most blockbuster trades of any offseason ever. And it isn't over yet, with Eric Bledsoe likely to be traded by the Suns any day now. Plus let's see what the Cavs do mid-season. If Isaiah Thomas isn't healthy by the trade deadline then it's conceivable they trade the Brooklyn pick to bolster the team for another title shot.

Last edited:

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
However, it's pretty amazing that the NBA is structured in such a way that there are now in effect two super teams, that nobody else can play with. Last year, Kevin Durant, one of the top few players in the game signed with Golden State, who had lost in the finals to Lebron and the Cavs. GS had set the NBA record for wins, and even before KD's signing, was loaded with talent....Stef Curry.

Those two teams have met in the finals three times in a row. I think it's seven years for whatever team Lebron has played for.

Bumping this a year later. Wow. I love the Warriors, but their talent excess has been almost detrimental to their play. They got lazy and almost got kicked out in Conference finals by Houston. And Cleveland could have / should have stolen game one in the finals. Now: when they play full-steam flow-basketball, they are unstoppable. I don't think it's just the talent, it's also great coaching. They really move the ball until they get a good look, many of which are uncontested layups and dunks. Gotta love that. Great defense. But the redundancy of having three phenomenal scorers showed again. Klay and Steph were way off yesterday, and KD was still there and took over. That's where it gets to be a little too much concentration of talent.

Cleveland: well, LeBron is a phenomenon, but he is not my cup of tea. Too much about himself, and his self-declared greatness.

@Muleski : what the Celtics did this year is more than commendable. Great coaching there, too. Coach of the year in my book. Getting so close to the finals with an injured team where you are losing your biggest star and then some. Amazing. They got so much better on both ends. Something to be happy about, and proud of.

peterm

Getting off the lift
Skier
It's a shame the Cavs didn't win game 1. Would've made the series much more interesting. But the talent gap between the two teams is pretty large so Warriors would have been big favorites even if they lost game 1. Btw, I'm not a huge Lebron fan but I don't think he's "too much about himself". His supporting cast is fairly limited, and he's doing all he can to help them win. Yes that means that he dominates the ball but it's pretty clear that's their best chance.