• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

National parks bike jerseys

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I got an email from Primal with gorgeous bike jersey, so I followed the link and found these.
I don't typically wear a zip bike jersey, but these are gorgeous.

Last edited:

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I saw those recently -- I actually bought a few of them (Zion, Crater Lake and Glacier Park).

They are definitely nice; sleeves are a little shorter than I'm used to, but otherwise no complaints.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Do they benefit the NPS at all?

<- just blew his jersey budget on new Nalinis.
I did soem digging both in the email I received and on their website and I can't find anything about NSP donations. I would think that they'd have to give a portion of proceeds to the parks.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I did soem digging both in the email I received and on their website and I can't find anything about NSP donations. I would think that they'd have to give a portion of proceeds to the parks.
Names of National Parks are public domain, so no license or payment is needed to commercialize or use the names (but not NPS or NPS logo).
If a company isn't boasting about their support and donations, you can assume they are not donating.

You are right though that many people believe using National Parks requires some kind of endorsement or approval from the park service, and that association is strongly implied especially when you launch a "series".
So, it does say something about a company that chooses to take all the proceeds and benefits, but doesn't actually support the parks in any way other than profiting from it.

There are some some shades of the backcountry.com kerfuffle, where their legal or corporate actions to maximize profit are in contradiction to their implied principals and values that they're trying to present to their customers. Very disingenuous

Last edited:

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
They're lovely - I just wish they offered them in race fit. #cyclistbuildproblems

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I saw those recently -- I actually bought a few of them (Zion, Crater Lake and Glacier Park).

They are definitely nice; sleeves are a little shorter than I'm used to, but otherwise no complaints.
So, how is the fit of the neckline when zipped up? I hate shirts that strangulate me.

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
So, how is the fit of the neckline when zipped up? I hate shirts that strangulate me.

It’s snug without strangulating me.

EC541297-C9AD-4DFD-A95E-EF2D6603388F.jpeg

There’s a finger width gap between my neck and the fabric still.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
They're lovely - I just wish they offered them in race fit. #cyclistbuildproblems
This may seem like a silly question, but what's the differecne in a race fit?
#casualcyclistquestions

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It’s snug without strangulating me.

There’s a finger width gap between my neck and the fabric still.
Thx, I find ordering clothing online to be a crapshoot. I'm often between sizes and will size up just for the roomier neck fit.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
This may seem like a silly question, but what's the differecne in a race fit?
#casualcyclistquestions

Torso and arm girth in proportion to torso length. Race fit is not *quite* as tight as aero fit, but there is absolutely no room for swimmer shoulders or Buddha bellies.

If a "club fit" is comfortable without loose or wrinkled-up cloth, chances are you can get the "race fit" on but won't be able to zip it up. And, if you move up a size in "race fit", the arms and torso will be too long.

And yes, there are implications in regards to womens' anatomy as well, but I can't even begin to address those.

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
Thx, I find ordering clothing online to be a crapshoot. I'm often between sizes and will size up just for the roomier neck fit.

I'm like 6'2", 175... I ordered size "large".

It's not loose like a t-shirt, but it's not "tight" either, but it's closer to "tight" than to "loose". If you're in doubt, I'd size up; they seem to run slightly small.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
I emailed Primal to ask if any proceeds from the sales went to support the Parks and the answer was no.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm like 6'2", 175... I ordered size "large".

It's not loose like a t-shirt, but it's not "tight" either, but it's closer to "tight" than to "loose". If you're in doubt, I'd size up; they seem to run slightly small.

As @cantunamunch deftly explained the difference in fits, this seems like Primal's club fit, which is more form fit than many brands' club but doesn't exactly fit me well. Given Primal's most recent offerings, I'd probably buy a medium and roll the dice that it doesn't ride up too much. @KevinF: does the jersey have a gripper band on the waist?

These days if I can afford the aero fit stuff I get that because it does very well with my cyclist arms (6'3.5", 170 lbs). I have broad shoulders like Kruiswijk, though I don't quite look like the "human coat hanger." So a race fit torso tends to work well, and if I can get aero fit arms so much the better.

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
As @cantunamunch deftly explained the difference in fits, this seems like Primal's club fit, which is more form fit than many brands' club but doesn't exactly fit me well. Given Primal's most recent offerings, I'd probably buy a medium and roll the dice that it doesn't ride up too much. @KevinF: does the jersey have a gripper band on the waist?

No gripper material around the waist.

These days if I can afford the aero fit stuff I get that because it does very well with my cyclist arms (6'3.5", 170 lbs). I have broad shoulders like Kruiswijk, though I don't quite look like the "human coat hanger." So a race fit torso tends to work well, and if I can get aero fit arms so much the better.

Shoulders are one anatomical feature I'm definitely lacking. If you're broad shouldered, these might be particularly bad. Primal definitely changed their cut at some point. This is an older Primal jersey:

005.JPG

And this is one of the Park Service jerseys:
004.JPG

The old ones go practically to my elbow; these are more like mid-bicep? Haven't tried these with arm warmers yet -- I don't think it'll be an issue, but we'll see, probably soon-ish. If you have broad shoulders -- or any shoulders -- it'll probably be even higher on your upper arm than on me.

I should be a Primal Wear model. :geek:

Sponsor

Staff online