• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmm surge pricing for parks. Don't think Disney or anything that is a commercial attraction should necessarily be a comparable. Think of it as an urban family driving by and whether they are encouraged to begin a love for the outdoors.
So an entitlement whereas Disney relies on market forces? Think of people who already love the outdoors, can well afford it and are subsidized nonetheless.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
So an entitlement whereas Disney relies on market forces? Think of people who already love the outdoors, can well afford it and are subsidized nonetheless.

They are a property of the People, not private enterprise. Certain things should really not be profit centers like; the military, public schools, parks. They exist to sustain the public's need.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They are a property of the People, not private enterprise. Certain things should really not be profit centers like; the military, public schools, parks. They exist to sustain the public's need.
It's a romantic notion and I'm trying to avoid getting political but everything involves economics at some level and a profit center implies run for profit. How about covering costs so people who don't use aren't forced into paying for those who do? Your other examples aren't similar. Although some of us did/do pay for schooling

This is political and I'm out but to say someone pays for the goodies and to assume even recreation/vacations are deserved, and that non-users should have to pay is to many a highly faulty assumption.

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
It's a romantic notion and I'm trying to avoid getting political but everything involves economics at some level and a profit center implies run for profit. How about covering costs so people who don't use aren't forced into paying for those who do? Your other examples aren't similar. Although some of us did/do pay for schooling

This is political and I'm out but to say someone pays for the goodies and to assume even recreation/vacations are deserved, and that non-users should have to pay is to many a highly faulty assumption.

This is what people thought in the late 1800s and it was a disaster. Disease, war, fire, pollution etc...tore through the country and those things are indifferent to whether people were users or non-users. They affected people indiscriminately. The idea that because some people are non-users they shouldn't pay for public goods results in a lot of terrible outcomes. It's true that economics is a factor, but it isn't the central factor. Profit today is liable to ruin the public goods that our children and grandchildren ought to enjoy as their American heritage tomorrow.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is what people thought in the late 1800s and it was a disaster. Disease, war, fire, pollution etc...tore through the country and those things are indifferent to whether people were users or non-users. They affected people indiscriminately. The idea that because some people are non-users they shouldn't pay for public goods results in a lot of terrible outcomes. It's true that economics is a factor, but it isn't the central factor. Profit today is liable to ruin the public goods that our children and grandchildren ought to enjoy as their American heritage tomorrow.
I would refer you to what he and I actually said including the part about distinguishing vacations from things like military, education and public health. This isn't about whether there are parks. I'm not getting how your comment is relevant.

Did I say I was out?

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There are many reasons to charge for access to parks. Covering costs is just one. Restricting access to an overcrowded resource is another. Indicating the value of the park could be another. Disincentives to auto traffic. There are other reasons.

I hope that the politics of today didn’t drive the increase - either feeding an ideology or hoping to spark outrage.

This is all my family’s fault. My grandfather was the advertising director for Yosemite’s Curry company. He did too good a job making Yosemite and the rest of the National Parks too popular.

Eric

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Parks were, and still are determined to be a "national resource". Makes no difference whether or not you travel to them, they are still yours to enjoy and provide sanctuary for the ecosystems and wildlife, plants, trees, etc we all need to survive and thrive. Saying you don't use our parks is pretty much like saying you don't breathe our air or drink our water..

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
We're all gonna be 62 someday. The wife and were lucky enough to get there when the price was still $10, so for $20, we've already saved over $200 for annual passes and close to $800 or so at the new $70 day pass rate.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
I would much rather pay $80 per year than be 62+.
When we were younger than 62 we were at an Amish market in PA when 3 busloads of seniors arrived.
I said to Trish "wow look at all the old people" One of them a woman who was probably 80 overheard this and got me good.

I remember her exact words "You too young man will be old someday " :eek:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We just went to Mt. Rainier N.P. and paid $80 (I think) for the annual pass that gets you into all N.P.s and many other F.S./BLM/other federal facilities. Having worked in local county parks for almost 30 years I can tell you parks at all levels are severely under-funded when it comes to the yearly budget. The NPS has over 400 parks and other facilities for which they're responsible. No way will the budget cover all that is needed. I for one am happy to pay "extra" (yes, I know about taxes) to keep our national treasures clean and available. Many people drop $800 on a season ski pass without blinking. Others pay thousands to take their families to Disneyland or California Adventure. $80 to see some of the most wonderful sites in the country is a bargain.
DSCN7167.JPG

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We just went to Mt. Rainier N.P. and paid $80 (I think) for the annual pass that gets you into all N.P.s and many other F.S./BLM/other federal facilities. Having worked in local county parks for almost 30 years I can tell you parks at all levels are severely under-funded when it comes to the yearly budget. The NPS has over 400 parks and other facilities for which they're responsible. No way will the budget cover all that is needed. I for one am happy to pay "extra" (yes, I know about taxes) to keep our national treasures clean and available. Many people drop $800 on a season ski pass without blinking. Others pay thousands to take their families to Disneyland or California Adventure. $80 to see some of the most wonderful sites in the country is a bargain. View attachment 49941
:micdrop:

Sponsor

Staff online

• dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid