• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
At $80 or $10, that pass is just a stupid good deal.

Fact is, the baby boomer generation is far wealthier than any of the generations that follow it are on a trajectory to be. And they will be utilizing park resources in much greater numbers, for a much longer time, than any previous generation. Someone has to pay for it, especially in the face of the current administration's cuts to their budgets.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
It is $20 if you order on lin right now; says the guy who just ordered his on line.

At $80 or $10, that pass is just a stupid good deal.

Fact is, the baby boomer generation is far wealthier than any of the generations that follow it are on a trajectory to be. And they will be utilizing park resources in much greater numbers, for a much longer time, than any previous generation. Someone has to pay for it, especially in the face of the current administration's cuts to their budgets.

Yes we are and we have paid a LOT of taxes over the years. If the Government wants to toss us a little bone why not take it. Oh ya my wife and I have donated a load of money and even more time into parks from Alaska to South Carolina (and probablly a lot of others around here have done the same or more). Show how much you care by your actions.

snofun3

Putting on skis
Skier

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmmm. No surprise but there is a backlog on senior passes. I guess everyone is jumping on that $10 while it's still available! Does anyone know if the annual passes for non seniors are going up in price also?

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
We drove up to RMNP last Saturday and got one for Mrs. Claystone on the way through the gate. Then we had a leisurely drive over Trail Ridge and headed home.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Hmm surge pricing for parks. Don't think Disney or anything that is a commercial attraction should necessarily be a comparable. Think of it as an urban family driving by and whether they are encouraged to begin a love for the outdoors.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Yep, we paid like $30 for a 7 day family pass to Yellowstone and Tetons last June. I heard most are going up to around $70 per day.. Poor people can't even afford to go outside now..

Still $80 for an annual pass in the proposal.

I see this as the Vail Resorts lift pricing schema; not great for one time visitors, but still very reasonable for regular users. The NPS will sell a boatload more annual passes, even if people buying them don't get lots of days in. Lord knows they need the money.

(Yes, we all might feel they should be properly funded so they don't have to rely on user fees as a main income source, but that is not the current fiscal or political reality.)

I could see this increasing total visits.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Still $80 for an annual pass in the proposal.

I see this as the Vail Resorts lift pricing schema; not great for one time visitors, but still very reasonable for regular users. The NPS will sell a boatload more annual passes, even if people buying them don't get lots of days in. Lord knows they need the money.

(Yes, we all might feel they should be properly funded so they don't have to rely on user fees as a main income source, but that is not the current fiscal or political reality.)

I could see this increasing total visits.
Umm, isn't that $80 for seniors only?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
No.

Source: am not a senior. Have had a NPS annual pass for last 5 years.

So the price stays the same for most but only goes up 8X for seniors?? And also up for day trippers?

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
So the price stays the same for most but only goes up 8X for seniors?? And also up for day trippers?

Kind of, but that's sort of misleading.And I wouldn't say "most" visitors have an annual pass.

"Seniors" now are much healthier, living much longer more active lives. This means a lot more use of parks / facilities than previous generations. The price is going up for them -- $80 for the rest of their life. Compared to $10. Still a crazy good deal. Non-seniors pay $80 per year.

And it is going up about 2-3x (depending on the park) for day trippers using the park at its peak time at select parks.

Sponsor