• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

National Coffee Day

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Sad. Both the product and Joe. The Money Store ads not much better.
My Mr. Coffee works just fine. You have to use good beans to make a good cup of coffee. It is not the pot as much as the beans and good water. I like to use the water out of the refrigerator filter for better results.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It is sitting on the stay-warm burner that ruins coffee. I have a Mr. Coffee with a thermos carafe at home -- makes all the difference. On travel, I turn the machine off as soon as the pot is finished. It stays hot through breakfast. After that, warm in the microwave if necessary.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I brought some leftover ground coffee home from Taos. I really liked it there, but I remembered I had it and decided to use it up this morning. It was not very good. Had that straw-like flavor that I associate with robusta (vs arabica).

I wonder if the pressure cycling of air travel ruined it, pressing the volatile flavor compounds out through the one-way valve. It was mashed flat when I took it out of my suitcase. Or maybe it has just been opened too long. The bag must fill with oxygen the first time you open it, even if you close it back up tightly.

So @Tony S , you have the other side of this experiment -- didn't you bring home an unopened bag of ground coffee from Big Sky? Was it mashed flat when you got home? Let us know how it tastes.

For those of you old enough to remember coffee vending machines that made one cup at a time, those used robusta because it brews faster. For the youngsters, you put in your quarter and pushed a button to select product (usually coffee or hot chocolate, maybe decaf?). A paper cup dropped down behind a plastic door, followed by a stream of liquid. You opened the door and removed the cup. Sort of like a Kuerig but brewed much faster. Horrible coffee, but hot and caffinated.

Uncle-A

Skier
It is sitting on the stay-warm burner that ruins coffee. I have a Mr. Coffee with a thermos carafe at home -- makes all the difference. On travel, I turn the machine off as soon as the pot is finished. It stays hot through breakfast. After that, warm in the microwave if necessary.
That is true about other coffee makers too, but in my house it doesn't last that long both myself and my wife drink a lot of coffee in the morning.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Tried and liked, not terribly complex, keeps a consistent level of mouthfeel and acid both hot and cold. IMG_20200203_095206.jpg

Last edited:

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@cantunamunch That's kind of mean. It's the coldest day of the year in San Diego (high 60f), wind blowing out the surf and some high clouds. As far from the solstice as we actually get here.

The solstice is something to look forward to so OK.

Eric

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
@Eleeski just for you. Lighter brew, deffo has at least half the flavours on the bag. Not recommended for strong brews.

18489922_10213550467736464_2762406921836425711_o.jpg

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
The real hands on ultimate experience is to buy green coffee beans (sweetmarias.com) and roast them yourself. I've had great success with a high quality hot air popcorn popper.

The other upside: its actually much cheaper to buy seriously good estate coffee this way than to bargain hunt at Costco. But it does take time.

That's how I do coffee, skibob. I crank out 5 or 6 batches every 2 weeks. It takes about 3 minutes in the summer and 6 minutes in the winter because I do it outside. You'd think roasting green coffee would smell great, but the fumes are quite nasty. I was banished even from the garage. There's a fair amount of shell coming off the process which makes a mess. Sometimes I use a french press for brewing, but I'm not fond of the cleanup. A nice 4 cup Cuisinart drip in the motorhome for camp outs in the Uintas - somehow coffee tastes better above 7000 feet.

I started out with sweet marias for green coffee beans, but they're a bit pricey. I do a fair amount of buying from RhoadsRoast (sourcedata on ebay). Peaberry bean coffee is the wife's favorite, because it's so smooth and doesn't acquire burnt overtones as easily. Usually African or PNG peaberries work out fine. For my own taste, I'm all over the map. The latest find is an Ethiopian Queen City Harrar; sketchy grade 4 beans but tastes magnificent at Full City Roast. I love Kona, Jamaican, and Geisha beans, but they aren't worth the extra coin. Incremental flavor for exponential cost. I can't believe there are still coffee beans coming out of Yemen - there has to be some fake product on the market.

If anyone is visiting Salt Lake City, I'd plug Bad Ass Coffee on State Street, just south of I-80.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
35 years ago I worked for an international company that made instant coffee. Roasting green beans just plain stinks...Now I have friends that are trying to make a living doing small batch coffee roasting. Good stuff really. But then anything is better than that crap where I worked years ago.

Uncle-A

Skier
Since I was posting about booze this morning, I figured it was a good idea to post about coffee this afternoon. I hope @Philpug approves of this :)
My wife picked up one of these Nespresso coffee machines and I have been getting a cup of espresso after lunch a few days a week. It just keeps me smiling all afternoon and sometimes primes my for dinner to be a little later in the evening. It may be just my imagination but it makes me feel very comfortable.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Since I was posting about booze this morning, I figured it was a good idea to post about coffee this afternoon. I hope @Philpug approves of this :)
My wife picked up one of these Nespresso coffee machines and I have been getting a cup of espresso after lunch a few days a week. It just keeps me smiling all afternoon and sometimes primes my for dinner to be a little later in the evening. It may be just my imagination but it makes me feel very comfortable.
LOL, I'm sure it meets Phil's approval.
We had a houseguest from Philly visiting a few years ago who happened to like an espresso in the afternoon, and since all we had was the single cup press or the pour over that we make daily, he ordered a Nepresso for us to have here. Turns out, I kinda like it from time to time.
I found these compostable pods which are quite nice.

I'm just hoping I can find them locally again.
I love the Nepresso but kinda hate the idea of the pods lasting forever in a landfill so I was happy to find something compostable.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I thought I had posted about this before.
Found it.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
LOL, I'm sure it meets Phil's approval.
We had a houseguest from Philly visiting a few years ago who happened to like an espresso in the afternoon, and since all we had was the single cup press or the pour over that we make daily, he ordered a Nepresso for us to have here. Turns out, I kinda like it from time to time.
I found these compostable pods which are quite nice.

I'm just hoping I can find them locally again.

Interesting.

My source gets me 1882 Vergnano by the kilo at a price comparable to budget grocery store coffee.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Interesting.

My source gets me 1882 Vergnano by the kilo at a price comparable to budget grocery store coffee.
I first got these pods at Bed Bath and Beyond and was surprised to find it so affordable and was really excited to find that they were compostable.

Sponsor

Staff online