• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

National Butt Turtle Day.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Saw one in the wild last week. Caught another on camera today.
I know Amazon carries it. Didn't figured there would be a Jerry clueless enough to wear it.
I guessed I am wrong.

Mammoth better get their exterminator on the ball to nip the infestation in the butt.

IMG_20190527_101126.jpg

@Near Nyquist caught an a** hamster at Stump two weeks ago. I'll let him post pics of that one.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Having broken my tailbone learning to snowboard, they don't look that silly to me!

James

Out There
Instructor
I used hockey pants learning to snowboard. Butt turtles weren't available.
So, if they were a whole cow, moose, unicorn suit that would be better?

Last edited:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Learn something new every day. What are those for? Hamster is just wrong.

TS
KingGrump

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
OMG....my question is why? Do they serve a purpose? I noticed the turtle was a snow boarder, is the hamster a boarder too? So butt pad protection?

So far, all the butt creature infestations sightings were on boarders.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Having broken my tailbone learning to snowboard, they don't look that silly to me!

So the question is, do you still board after that? I haven't broken anything on my board but had some close calls, which is why it's been collecting dust for 2 years.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Eh, there’s a woman in my women’s outdoor group who raves about hers. She learned to snowboard this year at 58, despite her PT telling her she was too old to learn. She picked one up after a bad fall ended one of her lessons. They're loud, but there's not exactly a subtle way to strap a giant pillow to your butt, so I guess you might as well have fun with it.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So the question is, do you still board after that? I haven't broken anything on my board but had some close calls, which is why it's been collecting dust for 2 years.

I did, but I don't anymore. That break was during one of my first few days on a board. After a month or so to heal, I came back, got a lesson (instructor was a 16 year old kid :roflmao:at the local bump), and eventually got to where I could board medium blue runs (such as under the Ramshead lift at Killington).

I didn't board very often after I got to that point, but tried to make sure I boarded at least once every year. Then one year I put it off to last day, so I tried to board Toll Road at Stowe -- it was probably the only green open. Terrifying. I couldn't get my edges to bite, and Toll Road is gentle but winds around a lot of switchbacks, and that day it was icy, especially at the crux of each switchback.

Now it has been so many years that I would pretty much have to start over.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Hmm.. I seem to have seen these primarily on neophyte boarders from a certain demographic. Are these something that has come from Japanese kawaii culture?

(sorry no racism or sexism intended - strikes me that having butt protection is an improvement on MTFU western male culture)

Of course, armoured shorts have been around for a good while for those that want to appear to be tough guys yet still able to walk after crippling tail bone slams.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not surprising the way some guys around here get geared up for a mtb ride at the local state park; looks like they're going out to slay a dragon or something. There are some tough trails but I am still amazed at the armor they wear.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I did, but I don't anymore. That break was during one of my first few days on a board. After a month or so to heal, I came back, got a lesson (instructor was a 16 year old kid :roflmao:at the local bump), and eventually got to where I could board medium blue runs (such as under the Ramshead lift at Killington).

I didn't board very often after I got to that point, but tried to make sure I boarded at least once every year. Then one year I put it off to last day, so I tried to board Toll Road at Stowe -- it was probably the only green open. Terrifying. I couldn't get my edges to bite, and Toll Road is gentle but winds around a lot of switchbacks, and that day it was icy, especially at the crux of each switchback.

Now it has been so many years that I would pretty much have to start over.

i don't know if I would have kept trying after a break so hats off to you! Boarding looks like a lot of fun but I've never had such painful falls. I was certain I had separated my shoulder on one fall and another I thought I had split my skull open. Catching the heel edge is a baaaaad thing.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Imitation is the highest form of flattery..

shanesaucerboy.jpg

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
i don't know if I would have kept trying after a break so hats off to you! Boarding looks like a lot of fun but I've never had such painful falls. I was certain I had separated my shoulder on one fall and another I thought I had split my skull open. Catching the heel edge is a baaaaad thing.
Ahh, that reminds me. I bought my first helmet in response to a snowboard fall.

James

Out There
Instructor
I don't get the big deal. This is nothing compared to Alex Honnold's free solo of El Capitan when he climbed past the guy in a Unicorn onesie. There he is risking his life, some guy is hanging out on his portaledge in a powder blue Unicorn suit. How absurd is that??

Here's Alex going past him. Good thing he had the mental focus not to be distracted by a Unicorn.
IMG_6497.JPG
IMG_6498.JPG

http://elcapreport.com/content/elcap-report-6317-special-edition-honnold-free-solo-elcap

https://www.rei.com/blog/climb/the-climber-in-the-unicorn-suit

Sponsor