• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

wnbrgr

#skilife meets #dadlife
Skier
First off, I want to thank everyone who posts here - I've been learning a ton reading all this wisdom since joining up last month!

My kids started racing this season and I've decided to get back into gates as well (after a two-decade hiatus). Our local hill in Iowa has the kids running Nastar 1-2 times a week so I've been joining in with them as well as doing a bit of beer league (same course). Might eventually look at some Masters racing but for now my focus is on the kids so my gate time will be on short, Nastar-style GS courses on typical midwest hills.

Based on a variety of posts by @Philpug I decided to look at Blizzard 'cheater' skis and lucked into a set of never-skied WRC Racing skis from a few years back in length 176 with radius 19. They have the current Marker race plate but I haven't mounted bindings yet. Before I do I'm looking for any insight into whether this length/radius ski will work well for my needs.

I am 5'11", love hard snow, and charge quite hard but am only 140 pounds (soaking wet). Given my weight and the short, tighter courses I'll be on over the next few years I figured that the shorter ski would be ideal, especially since this particular Blizzard has a longer turn radius at that length than do other similar 'cheater' GS skis (which seem to average around 17 radius at that length). On the other hand, I'm wondering if the shorter length combined with a race plate actually makes the ski harder to flex into the kinds of arcs I'll need for these short courses.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Black Dog

Its all downhill from here..
Skier
They should work well for your. Just my 2 cents as Nastar Racer. I ski on a 19 radius 185 Head but weigh 50 more pounds than you.

TS
wnbrgr

wnbrgr

#skilife meets #dadlife
Skier
Addendum to my original post on the off chance that someone here has done some comparison skiing between the Blizzard WRC GS and 'tweener' GS skis: How would the Blizzard GS 23 radius in a 177 compare to the WRC described above?

Sponsor

Staff online