• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I currently own and ski on Head Great Joys. I got them in Tahoe in 2017, and they were great for that season. Even this past season, I really enjoyed them; except for in tight spots, like steep trees, chutes, moguls. Is there a ski that would be good for ice but also moguls, trees, etc? Or would those have different characteristics? I ski mostly Squaw/Alpine in Tahoe area.

I will need to get skis on sale. Ski Essentials has Liberty Genesis 90s on sale in my length. Would those work for what I'm looking for?

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don’t know how wide your current skis are, but I love my Blizzard Brahmas at 88 underfoot for hard snow, bumps etc. can’t go wrong really.

It’s amazing how good what not so long ago was considered a wide ski (88 underfoot) goes on firm snow.

For considerable differentiation you could consider going narrower (say 80mm underfoot), but what you’re considering as a width should be fit for purpose.

TS
luliski

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don’t know how wide your current skis are, but I love my Blizzard Brahmas at 88 underfoot for hard snow, bumps etc. can’t go wrong really.

It’s amazing how good what not so long ago was considered a wide ski (88 underfoot) goes on firm snow.

For considerable differentiation you could consider going narrower (say 80mm underfoot), but what you’re considering as a width should be fit for purpose.
My Great Joys are 98 mm wide. I think I'd want something a little softer than the Brahmas for bumps and tight spots. As far as width, I'm thinking between 80-90 mm, because I'd still want an all-mountain ski. Just a narrower one.

Reactions: BMC

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How narrow do you want to go?
I have some options that you may want to consider that are "maybe" in this wheelhouse.

TS
luliski

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Does it have to be now, and can you have a chance to demo?
No, it doesn't have to be now, but there are some skis on sale now that I would consider buying without demoing if I had some idea what they would be like. I'm not very good at reading about a ski's characteristics the listing and figuring out if that would work for my needs.

I have some options that you may want to consider that are "maybe" in this wheelhouse.
I was thinking 80-90 mm. Something for skiing trees, bumps, tight spaces. But that would also possibly work on hard-pack? What do you have?

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I would say stick with Head and maybe a little narrower like a front side carving ski.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
There is a review just up on Ski Diva about the Total Joy. Demo was done at Hotham last weekend. The poster didn't like how turny they were.

12-13-14 r skis will do that. ogsmile

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Is there a ski that would be good for ice but also moguls, trees, etc?

Mmm, of course i am not gear expert or anything, so I normally don't say much in gear threads. But this one strikes my curiosity. As far as I can tell, an ice ski will have different characteristics than a trees/mogus ski. For ice, you want edges that grip like crazy, typically a narrow carver. You problem is having enough grip there, so narrower, sharper, and more race like tuned, is always better.

In trees, moguls and tight spots you kinda want the opposite. You want a ski that can be steered/pivoted easily, and you definitely don't want to be locked into a turn you can't release ... facing a tree or a tall bump. I don't think this means that you need a wide ski, but it means a less aggressive carver, and more rise in tips and tails to facilitate turn release.

So, in principle, you might be looking for two different skis, not one. And frankly, I think you were hinting that possibility in your OP.

Having said that, and being as I am the happy owner of a Head Rally, I wonder if the new Head V6, V8, etc could be a good compromise of a ski that can carve well on ice, but it can be released easily. Pinging people who tried it: @Andy Mink , @Philpug

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
IMHO, the V10 has a bit too much sidecut to be a great bump ski. Serviceable, sure, but I'd rather ski bumps on a monster 83/88 in the Head lineup, or a Navigator series ski.That said, skiing bumps on a ski with a lot of sidecut or even an SL ski is very fun. Just different, and certainly skill building.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe DPS Cassiar Foundation 87s? I found them to be a well rounded all-around ski but I'm also a wee bit bigger than @luliski.

TS
luliski

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Mmm, of course i am not gear expert or anything, so I normally don't say much in gear threads. But this one strikes my curiosity. As far as I can tell, an ice ski will have different characteristics than a trees/mogus ski. For ice, you want edges that grip like crazy, typically a narrow carver. You problem is having enough grip there, so narrower, sharper, and more race like tuned, is always better.

In trees, moguls and tight spots you kinda want the opposite. You want a ski that can be steered/pivoted easily, and you definitely don't want to be locked into a turn you can't release ... facing a tree or a tall bump. I don't think this means that you need a wide ski, but it means a less aggressive carver, and more rise in tips and tails to facilitate turn release.

So, in principle, you might be looking for two different skis, not one. And frankly, I think you were hinting that possibility in your OP.

Having said that, and being as I am the happy owner of a Head Rally, I wonder if the new Head V6, V8, etc could be a good compromise of a ski that can carve well on ice, but it can be released easily. Pinging people who tried it: @Andy Mink , @Philpug
That's kind of what I'm thinking. But I'm also talking about Tahoe "ice."

TS
luliski

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe DPS Cassiar Foundation 87s? I found them to be a well rounded all-around ski but I'm also a wee bit bigger than @luliski.
The DPS skis confuse me, because there are so many of them! I tried the DPS something Uschi 82 at Rose. That ski was nimble, but it felt a little "small." I didn't like it on hard pack or at speed.

TS
luliski

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes they will. It's one of the reasons I love my Great Joys (14.3r) in tight spots which just goes to show you how skis are so personal.
You're probably a better skier than I am. I love my Great Joys in wide open bowls where I can go fast, and when the snow is soft, they're fine. But when we get snow that's soft on top over frozen, and it's steep and narrow, I have a hard time. It's me, not the ski, but I think a narrower ski would help me.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The DPS skis confuse me, because there are so many of them! I tried the DPS something Uschi 82 at Rose. That ski was nimble, but it felt a little "small." I didn't like it on hard pack or at speed.
The Uschi 82 is the lady's version of the Cassiar Foundation 82. The 87 is a new shape for '19 along with being a new width in the series. I thought the 87 was more forgiving than the 82. @Tricia can give you her thoughts on the 87.

As far as the DPS confusion, the Foundation series is a bit heavier with a more traditional build i.e. less expensive than the Alchemist series. I think the Foundation series has a warmer feel to it, if that is a thing. The Alchemists are really nice and lighter but, at my level, I don't think I could justify the cost difference. The Foundations are fine skis across the board.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid