• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Narrower or wider?

Ulysses

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I'm currently using a 6-7 year old Enforcer (early rise, flat tail) that does it all but I'm getting the itch to buy another ski. I'm 62, 70", 160# advanced level who skis mostly out West. I am intrigued by the technology that is not in my ski such as lightness, taper, and rocker in the tips and tail. On my last trip I demoed some narrower skis. I liked the Kore 93 and Volkl Kendo, not so much the Rustler 9 and Sky7. I don't want to bring two skis out West so the new ski will have to be decent in most conditions, in particular hardpack, bumps and cut up powder. I know I'm overthinking this, but I am intrigued about getting instead a 10x ski such as the Ranger 102FR or similar.

The case for narrower is it's going to be better in the groomed, although with a tail rocker, I am not sure it's going to be better than my Enforcer with a flat tail. It may work better in soft snow though even if narrower. I am concerned with a wider ski if it's too much compromise in groomers. Thoughts?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If I am getting one ski and not knowing what the conditions will be, I am thinking 90ish (mayyyybe to 100) like the two skis that you eluded to, the Kore 93 and Kendo. The Enforcer you have was a damn good ski that Nordica tried to kill and couldn't...for good reason and is a high benchmark. I'd consider the new K2 Mindbender 90 and 99Ti...and since you mentioned the Enforcer, it made me think the new MB99Ti is kinda like that ski in shape but a modern flair. The Volkl M5 is another consideration at 96 underfoot. Dark horses would be the Armada Invictus 99Ti and the Tracer 98.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
In the past I have alternated pretty equally between an 85 all mountain and a 105 all mountain. This season I have exclusively skiied a 90mm ski, in all kinds of conditions in the PNW (not sure if that qualifies as “out West”). I haven’t missed my other skis.

That doesn’t stop me from wanting more new skis, though.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I would get a105 ski. Some will be excellent on groomers

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I have a set of 98mm waisted skis that feel awesome of the groomers. You just need to get adjusted to them and have realistic expectations.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I would get a105 ski. Some will be excellent on groomers
...maybe we could all remember to suggest skis that fit the questioner's desires and needs, not our own situations?

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
hardpack, bumps and cut up powder

Which of these three are most important to you? I'd suggest 83-90 ish if hardpack/bumps are most important or where you spend most of your time. Cut up powder can benefit more from width, 90-100 there, and some softer tips. If you spend a lot of time charging through crud, you will want 90-100 and mostly straight (i.e. 18-23m radius).

Wider skis can be OK on groomer, but if its really hardpack (for west, hasn't snowed in more than 1 week) you will want to be closer to low end underfoot to make the groomer feel very nice.

I guess to summarize -- no you are not wrong thinking that wide skis (95+) for skiing everything may not be ideal.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
DPS Cassiar Foundation 87 or 94 are both very capable mixed-condition skis. They both carve well on hard pack groomers but have enough early rise to float in crud and powder. The tapered tails allow for easy turning in bumps.

The drawback, at least for me, on the wider 100+ skis on groomers isn't that they won't carve (many do quite well) but it takes noticeably more work to tip them back and forth. If you're just getting back to the lift after running powder or chop that's not a big deal but it does get tiring for an all-groomer day ride.

TS
U

Ulysses

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Thanks for the replies. Typical day consists of 2-3 runs on groomers for warmup, then do mostly bowls, ungroomed and bumps and a few groomers, then groomers on the way to après ski. I don't need the tenacious grip of a carver, but I hate a ski that won't bite. The reason I initially wanted a narrower ski was because of bumps. I know it's asking for a lot. I'm thinking 88-94 is probably good (unless the M5 is really that good).

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
I ski out west , Mammoth and for three years skied a 98 waisted twin tip and it was a ton of fun and extremely versitle , I’m on a new 84 waisted all mountain ski with tip rocker and a flattish tail this year and it has handled powder with no issues and is fantastic the day after powder and it is way better with its design in the bumps. You can ski powder all day long with a mid to high eighty all mountain ski in my opinion.
It seemed to me the last couple of years that this websites regulars were starting to go a little narrower in their setups but of course this year everyone enjoying fantastic conditions has maybe sold some fatter skis.
I think as soon as you mention bumps the eighty somethings can flex there muscles and tip the scales.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
unless the M5 is really that good

In the OP you mentioned you liked the Kendo. For most, the M5 is a much more versatile ski for western skiing than the Kendo. Better float and way better in crud and cut up. About even in the bumps. The Kendo is a bit quicker there. The M5 is better on the groom. The Kendo is better in ugly snow. Refreeze and chicken heads.
Your choice.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Enforcer 93 or maybe even the 88.

My "new" version Enforcer 100s are fun on SOFT groomed and bumps. When things get truly firm, not so much. Of course they continue to work "fine" but the joy is somewhat diminished.

If I was choosing a 1SQ it would be the E93. Since I've already got the 100s, I'll almost certainly be adding a pair of E88s next season.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Enforcer 93 or maybe even the 88.

My "new" version Enforcer 100s are fun on SOFT groomed and bumps. When things get truly firm, not so much. Of course they continue to work "fine" but the joy is somewhat diminished.

If I was choosing a 1SQ it would be the E93. Since I've already got the 100s, I'll almost certainly be adding a pair of E88s next season.

This ^^^^!

OP is used to the original 98mm Enforcer with no tail rocker and more weight than the current Enforcer 100. The Enforcer 100 would be easier to ski than his current ski but the E93 would be an upgrade on harder snow and would still give decent back bowl and crud performance. E93 is the perfect ski for his use.

Sponsor