• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Narrowed it down to 5 - All mountain/freeride

A-Mark

Booting up
Skier
I've read the reviews and done enough homework to narrow it down to 5. I'm looking to narrow it further.

I'm not looking for which is better, but rather a comparison in terms of what makes them different, then I can decide which is best for me.

What do they individually excel at over the others, and what areas are a compromise in comparison to the others? I think they would all work for me, but am hoping to get some more info before purchasing.

In no particular order:

Armada Tracer 98
Fischer Ranger 102 FR
Liberty Origin 96
Salomon QST 99
Blizzard Rustler 10

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I've read the reviews and done enough homework to narrow it down to 5. I'm looking to narrow it further.

I'm not looking for which is better, but rather a comparison in terms of what makes them different, then I can decide which is best for me.

What do they individually excel at over the others, and what areas are a compromise in comparison to the others? I think they would all work for me, but am hoping to get some more info before purchasing.

In no particular order:

Armada Tracer 98
Fischer Ranger 102 FR
Liberty Origin 96
Salomon QST 99
Blizzard Rustler 10

Your size, ability, where you ski, what skis you’ve liked/haven’t liked and then everyone will be able to guide you better.

Rustler 10 is a nice, med flexing ski that’s lots of fun to ski but fairly light and not great in crud. Next years model gets a beefier core I guess to improve that. Even with those mods it still won’t be a charger but should be better in all conditions.

Fisher 102 FR is a stiffer, heavier(but not heavy) version of the Rustler 10. Bit more demanding than the Rustler but more stable, more precise, better at speed and crud but still a playful ski.

Nordica Enforcer 104 Free-not on your list but should be. Heavier than the Fisher 102 FR but more forgiving. Lighter swing weight even though it’s a touch heavier than the Enforcer 110 but damper and quicker responding.
Like the Rustler, Ranger 102 FR and now the Enforcer 104 Free, they can please a large group of people by moving the mounts. On the line for all mountain use and forward a bit if you’re more of a free style type skier.

Ski Essentials has great video reviews on all these as well.
Getting a pair of the Enforcer 104 Free mounted as we speak for myself I think it’s going to be so good in that width range.

Haven’t been on the other skis but they all have been getting good reviews so not a bad pick in the bunch.

James

Out There
Instructor

In no particular order:

Armada Tracer 98
Fischer Ranger 102 FR
Liberty Origin 96
Salomon QST 99
Blizzard Rustler 10
It would help narrow the comments if you said how you selected those 5. Though it doesn't come across in online photos, the Ranger is the best looking one, top sheet wise, by far. There's much more brown irl.
I've only skied the Origin 96. It's fine, [insert teenage eyeroll]. It's a solid all small mountain ski. Feels a bit glassy, but not bad.

Compare the front and tip profiles of the 5, where the rocker starts and what shape the curve of the tip is. That's a good place to start.

TS
A

A-Mark

Booting up
Skier
I am 6' - 175lbs and have been skiing for over 20 years. I live in Minneapolis, but ski out west. I generally go where the freshest/best snow is, which is sometimes all the way at the top, sometime in the bowls, or in the trees. Generally the "backside" of the mountain over the groomers. I ski with others that have a variety of experience so I end up on groomers sometimes, though that's not where I want my ski to excel. I can confidently ski the anywhere on a resort, but I am more interested in having fun with the natural terrain than seeing how fast I can make it down. So I am looking for something that is on the playful side of a ski that can still handle steep terrain. (Steep is fun too!)

I've been leaning toward the Fischer Ranger 102 FR

Nordica Enforcer 104 Free-not on your list but should be.

I'll check this out too.

Last edited:

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
You’re the same weight/just a touch shorter than me and I just picked up the Nordica Enforcer Free 104 in the 186cm. Loving the flex and feel of them. 184cm in the Ranger 102FR would be the perfect length for you.

Flex is a bit softer than the Ranger 102FR so probably a bit more playful/forgiving but because of the extra weight of the Enforcer, it should be a bit damper and better in crud. Had mine mounted +2 (still almost 7cm back from center) which is the money spot on these if you’re wanting a more playful/freestyle feel and I hear +2 or so (8cm back from center) is the money spot to make the Ranger do the same. At these positions you can still drive the tips or use a more centered stance and they will be more balanced in the air. More freestyle geared skiers going switch often are going much closer to center than that with these skis. Large mount sweet spots.

Watch the SkiEssentials videos and BlisterGear has a great description of the Ranger 102FR and there is a “Flash review” of the Enforcer 104 Free that just came out if you’re a member. If not, one of their reviewers just commented on Newschoolers.

“Just got off the 104. Love it. Feels very similar to the 110, but with much better edge hold (granted, it came with a super sharp tune and I'm planning on detuning the tails). Carves amazing well for its size, quite damp, yet still has a lot of energy when popping off stuff or carving a turn. And it's still pretty playful, especially with bindings moved +2 of recommended. Feels to me like a slightly more forgiving Fischer Ranger 102 FR.”

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Of the ones I've been on:

-Tracer: really great performance for the weight. Armada designed it as a touring ski that can really perform well inbounds. Most of my friends who ski the 98 or 108 use it as a designated touring ski though. Armada Invictus 99ti would be an option that punches in the same weight class as the Ranger & Enforcer

-QST99 - similar ski to the Tracer, but has some extra weight and full sidewalls. More taper and rocker in the tips makes it float like a fatter ski, but it's... polarizing for groomer performance. They're weirdly light & pretty middle of the road for flex, but somehow really damp. Each groomer turn feels like you're laying it over for a year and a half and transitions between turns feel so slow (the best description I've seen of the turn initiation is "laid back"). I really liked the flex and rebound of them, but I have a few friends who couldn't take them back to the demo shop fast enough.

-Rustler 10s - I wish these skis existed two years ago for following around much better skiers and getting really good at the whole "holding your shit together and getting down stuff." I've recommended the Sheevas to a lot of women who like to ski the whole mountain, but are a little more cautious and keep their speed in check since the turn radius is pretty small and they're not so stiff that it's very static. Unlike a lot of other skis that check the same boxes, the metal in these is noticeable and when they do want to open up and ski harder, or hit crud or groomers, they have enough guts to hold up. They're also dynamite in the trees. But I found I had to size up to really understand what the rave reviews were about and to get them to point down the fall line a little bit more eagerly.

If you can really confidently ski the whole mountain and want something capable, well-rounded, confident, but also has a playful side, I agree something in the Enforcer line is a great call and the Ranger should definitely stay on that list. I also think some of the indy-er brands like ON3P and Black Crows do a really good job of nailing a balance of stability & playfulness.

Brock Tice

Out on the slopes
Skier
I don't know about the Rustler 10s, but the 11s were my favorite of 7 skis I demoed this year at demo days. If you are narrowing down to a few to demo I recommend you include the rustlers.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I loved the Rustler 10's (188cm). I did not love the Rustler 9's (188cm) they were just ok, felt like an in-between ski. The Rustler 10 was even better on the groomers than the 9's, had more edge bite and stability which surprised me since I expected the opposite. Go figure. :huh:

The Rustler 11 (192cm) were awesome but somewhat beastly in the bumps but on open slopes wow, they do like to run and are happy at high speeds. Maybe the shorter lengths are tamer.

I also liked the Tracer 108 (180cm) a LOT. 50/50 Ski for sure (backcountry/resort)

I did not test the QST 99's but the 92's (188cm) were good resort skis. The 106's (188cm) I loved but I tested them on a powder day (12" easily).

Take note on the lengths I tested. I would pick the next size down if I were to ski in a lot of tight spaces with the exception of the Tracer 108's which were fine everywhere in the 180cm length.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
ogsmileogsmile
i. The Rustler 10 was even better on the groomers than the 9's, had more edge bite and stability which surprised me since I expected the opposite. Go figure. :huh:

Something wrong there as what you expected should have been what you experienced.

Was just on the 188cm and 180cm Rustler 10 last Saturday(and last year) and own the 180cm Rustler 9. A properly tuned Rustler 9 is quicker edge to edge, more powerful and more stable than a Rustler 10. The Rustler 10 is much softer flexing, lighter and has more rocker. More forgiving in bumps and better float than the 9 but not as good on piste especially if it’s harder snow.

Bet the Rustler 9 you tried was base high/tune was off as that seems to be very common from the factory on them. Flattened base, a proper 1/3 tune and the grip and stability are great even at very high speeds. Continue to be impressed by their performance. A touch heavier and they would be perfect! ogsmile

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
There is pretty big difference between how last years QSTs(92mm and bigger) and this years(92mm and bigger) ski. The new QST have quite a bit more carbon in them, and have acceptable groomer performance. I have skied the 185cm 92 and 181cm and 188cm 99 and 188cm 106mm and they all are great off trail skis and the 2 narrower ones can handle hard off trial snow fine and VERY damp, like eerily damp for such a light ski. The new ones are good enough on a groomer, but everything you listed except for the Origin probably feels better on a groomer.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
There is pretty big difference between how last years QSTs(92mm and bigger) and this years(92mm and bigger) ski. The new QST have quite a bit more carbon in them, and have acceptable groomer performance. I have skied the 185cm 92 and 181cm and 188cm 99 and 188cm 106mm and they all are great off trail skis and the 2 narrower ones can handle hard off trial snow fine and VERY damp, like eerily damp for such a light ski. The new ones are good enough on a groomer, but everything you listed except for the Origin probably feels better on a groomer.

Definitely, my comments were on the new 2019 QST's, forgot to mention that, the old ones are way different.

TS
A

A-Mark

Booting up
Skier
Thanks, everyone for your thoughts. It's very helpful.

I am eliminating the Origin and Tracer as I think the others will be a little better fit for me and I'm adding the new Enforcer 104 Free to my list. Sheesh... just when I thought I was getting somewhere. I am also intrigued by the ON3P Kartel, but I think I'll keep things as is and start eliminating more.

I'm getting the impression that the QST 99 and Ruster 10 are more alike in terms of flex and where they work best, and the Enforcer 104 Free and Ranger 102 FR are more alike. I know not many will be able to comment on the Enforcer 104 free from actual experience, but what GregK shared definitely shows it fits the bill for what I am looking for.

Is the QST 99 the softest and the Ranger, the stiffest?

I don't mind a stiff ski as long as its responsive and maneuverable in the trees and bumps. I just want to be able to drive it, rather than it driving me.

The Ranger 102 FR, Rustler 10, and Enforcer 104 Free are the ones I'm leaning toward.

James

Out There
Instructor
If the Evolve 100 from Liberty is available you might check that one.

Doeschna

Booting up
Skier
So you are looking for a playful ski that excels in trees and bowls and you aren’t considering the Soul 7 HD? I know the ski gets hated on a lot but it is incredibly manuverable and is exceptional in soft snow. The newest iteration in 188cm is supportive and very energetic. If you aren’t looking for something to hit high speeds in chopped up snow, I don’t think you necessarily need a ski with any metal. Would also reconsider the Origin 96. Blister has given both versions of the ski pretty glaring reviews.

TahoeWarrior

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks, everyone for your thoughts. It's very helpful.

I am eliminating the Origin and Tracer as I think the others will be a little better fit for me and I'm adding the new Enforcer 104 Free to my list. Sheesh... just when I thought I was getting somewhere. I am also intrigued by the ON3P Kartel, but I think I'll keep things as is and start eliminating more.

I'm getting the impression that the QST 99 and Ruster 10 are more alike in terms of flex and where they work best, and the Enforcer 104 Free and Ranger 102 FR are more alike. I know not many will be able to comment on the Enforcer 104 free from actual experience, but what GregK shared definitely shows it fits the bill for what I am looking for.

Is the QST 99 the softest and the Ranger, the stiffest?

I don't mind a stiff ski as long as its responsive and maneuverable in the trees and bumps. I just want to be able to drive it, rather than it driving me.

The Ranger 102 FR, Rustler 10, and Enforcer 104 Free are the ones I'm leaning toward.
Old post, but what did you end up buying and how has it been after a few years?