• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Where would you choose?

• Whistler

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Jackson Hole

Votes: 10 58.8%

• Total voters

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That's odd. There's a huuuuuge teaching area with beginner terrain mid mountain at Whistler. Most of the kids programs get taught there. Saw a snomobile pulling a litter of kiddos up to the area. hmmmmm. Snow King in the town of Jackson looks pretty steep from the bottom. Haven't skied there, but have seen it. Doesn't jump out as a 'learner' area, but again, I'm not an expert other than having skied Jackson once for a week a long time ago.
Wow. I wish we had known that. I dont know why they kept her at the learning area at the bottom. It was at Christmas so maybe it was just super crowded. But in any case it really had a negative long term impact on an extended family where everyone skis except her.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well there’s another option if going to Vancouver. Cypress mountain! It’s only 30 min from Vancouver, whatever that means. So you could go ski while the other stays in a real city.

They held the freestyle evets there in 2010. (Was very warm!) Note that the X Games venues are actually at the bottom of Buttermilk, not Aspen. And every other area at Aspen/Snowmass is much harder than the Butter.

Simply gorgeous views. How many places can you ski near the Pacific Ocean? There’s a green run from the top, but what it’s really like - no idea. Never been. If I was going to Whistler I’d go there just for the views. Plus there’s night skiing.

432FA7E3-5D1E-474B-AA3F-F91273096986.jpeg
https://www.chill.org/local-sponsors-vancouver

Trail map:
http://www.cypressmountain.com/Documents/Cypress/Trail Map PDFs/201805_Trail-Maps_Downhill_RIP_Update_FINAL_Small.pdf

Last edited:

Tony

tseeb
Skier
I voted for Whistler in late Jan. over Jackson Hole in early Mar. You should not have rain above mid-mountain in mid-winter at Whistler and if you do, there are enclosed lifts to get you there. You also have a good chance of getting snow down the base and less chance of very cold weather at base vs. Jackson. My wife and I were in Jackson the first week of March 2019 (immediately after Big Sky Gathering) and had an overnight low of 0. We were lucky that daytime temps stayed below freezing as most of JHMR faces E and S and lower mountain can quickly turn to Spring conditions if there is sun and no recent snow.

Some of the preceding posters mentioned snowcoach tour to Yellowstone. Note that from Jackson it is a very long day. You have an hour drive to Flagg Ranch to get to snowcoach, then it's 45 miles to Old Faithfull, which will take more than two hours with stops. The total trip time is listed at 12 hrs. See https://www.scenic-safaris.com/index.php/winter-jackson-wy/winter-tours/old-faithful-snow-coach-tour for one tour provider. My wife and I did snowmobile tour from W Yellowstone which is much shorter. We still ended up putting 65 miles on snowmobile. If you go to Jackson, don't miss Sunday evening at Stagecoach Bar in Wilson, WY.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I wouldn't take beginners where there's a good chance of rain - wet gloves, ice, slush in your face when you fall. Are they from Florida? Given that your Mom doesn't ski a less expensive ski in/out location would be great.

TS
Roger

Roger

Booting up
Skier
Thank you for all of the responses...so first my mother will not be skiing at all. It would just be more of a family trip for her. She had major neck surgery and shes 73 so its more about her spending time with my sister (38) and my brother (43) and myself (39) my brother and sister are pretty coordinated so not too worried about what mountain they actually learn on. So its more about extra fun activities around town and for it to leave a lasting impression where they would want to do this again.

And the reason why the Trip dates are locked in it because I am going with my ski club and doing extra travels are limited unless we do rent a car while at the resort.

Thanks again everyone.

Last edited:

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Where is your club staying at each resort and what types of properties?

Mom might be more comfy in a condo than say a basic hotel like the 49er where my club stays in Jackson. There is good bus service in JH no matter where you stay. After touring the Elk preserve and some shops and galleries and a small museum I am not sure there is much else in and around JH to keep non skiers occupied during the day. XC is a good option, but not sure about mom.

Conditions can be sketchy in JH in March....or they could be great. I guess the same goes for Whistler though I have never been. Mostly because I have always heard how unreliable the conditions are there... I should probably get over that and just go.

I usually take a trip or so per season with my club, but it is more about the social aspect than saving a lot of dough. I have found that I can find deals just as affordable as the club does and often the club will go at less than optimal times in the season to get a better rate. The reason I bring this up is because you will have your own self contained group within a group. Fun, but, perhaps you would be better off on your own? I imagine that you plan to enjoy skiing with your club friends. Maybe go on a club trip and take another one with just family? Just food for thought.

And you thought you would narrow down your choices by posting here. Ha!

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Where is your club staying at each resort and what types of properties?

Mom might be more comfy in a condo than say a basic hotel like the 49er where my club stays in Jackson. There is good bus service in JH no matter where you stay. After touring the Elk preserve and some shops and galleries and a small museum I am not sure there is much else in and around JH to keep non skiers occupied during the day. XC is a good option, but not sure about mom.

Conditions can be sketchy in JH in March....or they could be great. I guess the same goes for Whistler though I have never been. Mostly because I have always heard how unreliable the conditions are there... I should probably get over that and just go.

I usually take a trip or so per season with my club, but it is more about the social aspect than saving a lot of dough. I have found that I can find deals just as affordable as the club does and often the club will go at less than optimal times in the season to get a better rate. The reason I bring this up is because you will have your own self contained group within a group. Fun, but, perhaps you would be better off on your own? I imagine that you plan to enjoy skiing with your club friends. Maybe go on a club trip and take another one with just family? Just food for thought.

And you thought you would narrow down your choices by posting here. Ha!

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Salt Lake City might be the answer. With a car they can hit Park City too, or visa versa. Brighton or Solitude would be a better option for the uber coordinated siblings anyway.

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
On that ZRankings list, as far as having a real town or village with shopping, restaurants, and things to do, I'd think the likely choices are :

Park City
Steamboat
Breckenridge
Aspen - Buttermilk and Snowmass

Aspen is my favorite place I've been - though I've only been to 11 places out west (counting Aspen's 4 mountains as 1 place). If I was a beginner, I think I'd love to learn at Buttermilk. Though staying in Aspen itself is usually expensive, and staying at Snowmass can be a lot more affordable, but you have to bus/drive into town. (The buses are nice, easy, and frequent though.)

Telluride beats them all (IMO) using the above criteria...I've taken numerous trips to all of these places, and would recommend Telluride as the best destination, with only Aspen being in the conversation. (Telluride is pricey and a challenge to get to, but is without a doubt the best place for a beginner to have a blast.)

Between Whistler and Jackson, I picked Whistler and agree with @Jim Kenney

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Jackson has a real town, not just an admittedly well done but still ersatz village. I have zero experience with JH ski school, but there is also a town mountain that might be good for beginners. We tried getting out daughter in law starting lessons at Whistler and she has refused to try again. Beginner hill was at the bottom of the mountain, not scenic at all, and very very crowded. She was run Iinto twice and twisted her ankle. Just a bad experience.

Calling Jackson a “real” town might be a bit of a stretch. :D

Castle Dave

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have skied both JH and Whistler, have no opinion one way or the other but would mention a couple of things.
- I don't think anyone has mentioned the 38% exchange rate. Many Americans don't realize there is such a huge difference
- Whistler to Vancouver proper is 90 minutes minimum and can be more if weather is bad.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
And the reason why the Trip dates are locked in it because I am going with my ski club and doing extra travels are limited unless we do rent a car while at the resort.
Thanks again everyone.

@Roger, it sounds like the two options are locked in - Whistler or Jackson - not just the dates. Is that right?

Sponsor