• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah Name This Alta Pitch

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
There's a pitch at Alta that I particularly like. Okay, that doesn't narrow it down much, I suppose.

This one is skier right of the Eagles Nest / North Rustler area, but not so far right that you end up at Sunnyside. It's a steep shady shot with a cable running over it to deliver charges. It's in the vicinity of High Nowhere, but has a specific name. I don't see it on the trail map. Jim Kenney took a bunch of pics there at the Gathering two years ago. Can locals help? @Vince ?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd have no idea... but does this pic help anyone? The pitch in question should be somewhere around the middle of it...

upload_2019-9-18_23-9-17.png

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd have no idea... but does this pic help anyone? The pitch in question should be somewhere around the middle of it...

View attachment 80385

Nice pic. Where / how did you get that? I suspect the Bombay chute is the one. (photo here seems to confirm - I can see the wire overhead) Did you put that special graphic in to highlight it for me? If not, what's that about?

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have been in that area too many times to count, but I never knew the names of the trails...

Steezus

Yucatan Suckaman
Skier
Ha! When I lived and worked there, that was the first run I would hit on a powder day, but I would always get so frustrated breaking the run out at the bottom and having everyone using my track to maintain speed and blow past me to get back on the chair.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice pic. Where / how did you get that? I suspect the Bombay chute is the one. (photo here seems to confirm - I can see the wire overhead) Did you put that special graphic in to highlight it for me? If not, what's that about?

It's the view on FATMAP... which is awesome (on the website and the app) if you haven't used it. It's 3-D rendered maps so you can pan up and down and look at the mountain from every angle. I have a touchscreen PC, which is really great for it. I'd think a tablet would be awesome too.

It started as mainly a ski app, but has grown into all kinds of outdoor activities. I don't know why that run is particularly noted - I didn't click on it to see.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
- I didn't click on it to see.

So I just went and clicked on it... but still don't know why it's blue and has a different symbol. Here's the report when you click on it:

Bombay Chute
Alta & Snowbird

Difficult
A hidden powder stash in the chute above High Nowhere

Description
A not-so-obvious chute that empties into the High Nowhere area, this run usually holds cold powder and doesn't see much skier traffic. Be careful exploring this area, you may find yourself on top of some big exposure.

Grading

Exposure

Medium Exposure (E2)As well as the slope itself, there are some obstacles (such as rock outcrops) which could aggravate injury.

Remoteness

RemoteAway from help but easily accessed.

Characteristics

Trees
Cliffs

And you can a profile view:

upload_2019-9-19_13-9-47.png

And it will do a digital "fly by" and take you down the run if you want.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid