• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Name These Skis...

Willy

aka Goldmember
Industry Insider
I just saw this on Facebook and thought I would throw it out here to see if anyone has seen these.

A friend of mine sells skis and also owns a ski rental.
The past days he just bought a cheap used ski without having a closer look.

When he wanted to tune the ski he figured out this weird shape.
Has anyone of you ever seen this before?
Or how is this even possible?

Ski is a rossignol.

12342531_10204230633965238_2848486927466348861_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...=pcb.1687157194831442&type=3&relevant_count=2

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I don't recall the skis... Can you give a hint to the era?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Do you have a picture of at least the front of the skis? Paging @Bill Talbot to the white courtesy phone

TS
Willy

Willy

aka Goldmember
Industry Insider
Do you have a picture of at least the front of the skis? Paging @Bill Talbot to the white courtesy phone

No, someone on the FB page asked the same. The only distinguishing thing about these is the shape. Someone suggested they were specifically designed for skiers who ride the last six inches of the tail. Probably some truth to that.

SkiEssentials

Slashing Turns and Prices
SkiTalk Sponsor
No, someone on the FB page asked the same. The only distinguishing thing about these is the shape. Someone suggested they were specifically designed for skiers who ride the last six inches of the tail. Probably some truth to that.

Strange, maybe an early powder ski concept? Kind of reminds me of a split tail snowboard, but the opposite? I'd be psyched to try a pair!!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I don't recall the skis... Can you give a hint to the era?

They filed for US and EP patents in 2008. Both applications have been effectively withdrawn. From EP1994965A1:

A ski board as defined above facilitates the execution of corners especially for a beginner. Its forward effectively involved in the first phase of a turn, that is to say when entering a curve, while its rear part facilitates the exit of the curve, as required by the outbreak of a skidding.

Sa partie avant intervient efficacement dans la première phase d'un virage, c'est-à-dire lors de l'entrée dans une courbe, tandis que sa partie arrière facilite la sortie de cette courbe, au besoin par le déclanchement d'un dérapage

LL

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Now I faintly remember the tail design...but not the tip. The tail was on a beginner/low intermediate ski, IIRC.

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Is this a response to me? If so, I don't understand.
It was a reply to you. After seeing your patent drawings, I recall the tail. I don't remember the hump in the profile though.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
It's only in that one drawing; they had to put it in to justify making Claim 6 (which is a dependent claim and hence optional to the invention):

Ski board according to one of the preceding claims, characterized in that, at said reduced mechanical properties area (19), the ski board has means (24) for additional stiffening tending to increase the stiffness of the flexural snowboard in a longitudinal plane (P) at least.

Sponsor