• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

My yearly "which ski?" post

fail to crush

Booting up
Skier
Hi everyone, I'm in the market again for a ski, but need some help, please.

I'm an advanced skier by technique, but getting a bit old and lazy. Almost exclusively on piste (except by accident), mostly with kids, but this year an old friend will be with me, so I will need to show off a bit and get some speed. I'm 5'6 190lbs. I have some 2015 Laser AX which I like, but I feel they are too long for me at 173? (17 something, I don't have them with me). They ski well, but they are really hard work and a beast to carry around. I'd probably like something less than 80mm in the waste, easy to carve with, can handle some pace, but nothing dramatic.

If I can't find anything, I'll sell my AX and just buy the current AX edition in a smaller size. I have always been intrigued about the Kastle's and after having read Phil's review, the Augment 77 look absolutely intriguing.

Thanks for any advice.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Hi everyone, I'm in the market again for a ski, but need some help, please.

I'm an advanced skier by technique, but getting a bit old and lazy. Almost exclusively on piste (except by accident), mostly with kids, but this year an old friend will be with me, so I will need to show off a bit and get some speed. I'm 5'6 190lbs. I have some 2015 Laser AX which I like, but I feel they are too long for me at 173? (17 something, I don't have them with me). They ski well, but they are really hard work and a beast to carry around. I'd probably like something less than 80mm in the waste, easy to carve with, can handle some pace, but nothing dramatic.

If I can't find anything, I'll sell my AX and just buy the current AX edition in a smaller size. I have always been intrigued about the Kastle's and after having read Phil's review, the Augment 77 look absolutely intriguing.

Thanks for any advice.

Are you looking for lighter skis that are easy to carry but still perform very well on snow?

TS
fail to crush

fail to crush

Booting up
Skier
Are you looking for lighter skis that are easy to carry but still perform very well on snow?

Ideally, that would be great if it's possible. I split my time 90/10 as "messing around with kids/wife"/"ripping a couple of runs while they are sitting in the cafe"

I'd be fine with optimizing for the "messing around with kids/wife", but that 10% is really important for my happiness.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Ideally, that would be great if it's possible. I split my time 90/10 as "messing around with kids/wife"/"ripping a couple of runs while they are sitting in the cafe"

I'd be fine with optimizing for the "messing around with kids/wife", but that 10% is really important for my happiness.

You can certainly rip on skis like the Kore 93. Also Elan is making Sticks that can Rip ;) but they may be too light for you. Liberty also makes light skis that can rip (the new VMT series). They have a good combination of light weight and stability / dampness. They are not very stiff skis so they are pretty easy to ski. Not as stable and damp as my favorite skis with metal but they are fun and capable skis. Atomic is also making some awesome alpine ski boots that are very light but ski great. That also helps.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Let’s not forget DPS and Renoun as well. The DPS Cassiar Alchemist 87 I demoed didn’t even feel they were on my feet, still a very stable ride. The Trainer 79 or Cassiar 82 probably more so.

TS
fail to crush

fail to crush

Booting up
Skier
You can certainly rip on skis like the Kore 93. Also Elan is making Sticks that can Rip ;) but they may be too light for you. Liberty also makes light skis that can rip (the new VMT series). They have a good combination of light weight and stability / dampness. They are not very stiff skis so they are pretty easy to ski. Not as stable and damp as my favorite skis with metal but they are fun and capable skis. Atomic is also making some awesome alpine ski boots that are very light but ski great. That also helps.

Thanks, may I ask which Elan?

TS
fail to crush

fail to crush

Booting up
Skier
Update if anyone cares. I skied a week on Volkl RTM 76 in 154cm, the ski shop assured me is a nice easy ski. I tightened my boots (thanks for that). These skis were light and fun, and mostly suitable but felt a bit flimsy at high (for me) speed. Perhaps it was technique, but I was a bit worried at times. Also they were pretty much non-existent on real ice. Nice ski, but I think I need stiffer/heavier.

Make any sense?

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
154 cm and 5'/6", #190 don't add up.

I saw a 250# plus dude today on ~125-140cm skis wearing his hockey jersey and no helmet. I almost made a video of it, but I started to feel bad as it was a disaster in progress. I waited till there was a slot in his trail wide posey for me to slip thru. I just couldn’t watch it any longer.

PNWRod

Getting off the lift
Skier
I wish you would have gotten video of that. I've heard of a pocket full of poseys but never a trail wide full. Must be some really bad air.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I wish you would have gotten video of that. I've heard of a pocket full of poseys but never a trail wide full. Must be some really bad air.

Lol. Spelling bit me in the ass, again & always will... :doh:

maybe possey was a bad term. Picture 10-11 stocky dudes (250#+) with saggy pants half on boards, some on rental gear and this boisterous dude on tiny skis. Area Reeked of nasty weed & cigarette.

Below is a picture of the clouds we were in.

D89E29FA-A076-44FE-B746-E32F4E299F2B.jpeg

FlyingAce

Out on the slopes
Skier
It sounds like the current Laser AX may fit what you are looking for. I have last year’s model which is the same as this year, and I find them light, playful in softer snow, bumps and slower speed, yet they can go as aggressive as you want them to. I have the Kastle MX89 for groomers only and they love speed and are so solid on piste you can bust through anything without feeling it. But they are pretty heavy. I also have the Kastle MX84, which fits just between the AX and MX89 in terms of weight and functionality. Good on groomers, still fun in bumps and are relatively light.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm 5'6 190lbs. I have some 2015 Laser AX which I like, but I feel they are too long for me at 173? (17 something, I don't have them with me). They ski well, but they are really hard work

I skied a week on Volkl RTM 76 in 154cm, the ski shop assured me is a nice easy ski. I tightened my boots (thanks for that). These skis were light and fun, and mostly suitable but felt a bit flimsy at high (for me) speed. Perhaps it was technique, but I was a bit worried at times. Also they were pretty much non-existent on real ice. Nice ski, but I think I need stiffer/heavier

You're all over the map here with your ski ideas and choices. You don't need stiffer / heavier; you need longer, lighter, and softer. Longer for stability and effective edge, lighter by your stated preference, and softer because you find your current AX too much.

You are skiing 90+% groomed terrain, right? And seldom in big moguls? So you have the width about correct. And I'm guessing you don't have the fitness you had as a youth. Right? Your weight says "longer," and you're fitness says "easier."

If you must stick with the AX, get the next shorter size (168). Better yet, get a ski that bends readily at low speeds, but has enough guts and a long enough edge to hold on ice. If you can demo the Elan Wingman 82 CTi @ 172cm or 178cm, do it. I am your height but about 50lbs lighter. Adore this ski @ both lengths (and I try lots of skis). Another good choice would be the Nordica Navigator 80 or 85 at 172 or even 179cm.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I also have the Kastle MX84, which fits just between the AX and MX89 in terms of weight and functionality. Good on groomers, still fun in bumps and are relatively light.

I wouldn't call them light. They are a great ski, for sure. And I happen to have a pair for sale! (168s) But I get the strong sense that the OP is not an MX driver.

TS
fail to crush

fail to crush

Booting up
Skier
You're all over the map here with your ski ideas and choices. You don't need stiffer / heavier; you need longer, lighter, and softer. Longer for stability and effective edge, lighter by your stated preference, and softer because you find your current AX too much.

You are skiing 90+% groomed terrain, right? And seldom in big moguls? So you have the width about correct. And I'm guessing you don't have the fitness you had as a youth. Right? Your weight says "longer," and you're fitness says "easier."

If you must stick with the AX, get the next shorter size (168). Better yet, get a ski that bends readily at low speeds, but has enough guts and a long enough edge to hold on ice. If you can demo the Elan Wingman 82 CTi @ 172cm or 178cm, do it. I am your height but about 50lbs lighter. Adore this ski @ both lengths (and I try lots of skis). Another good choice would be the Nordica Navigator 80 or 85 at 172 or even 179cm.

Yeah I'm totally confused, but I think less confused after you explained. So, thanks.

I'm really worried I wouldn't be able to ski on long skis, like in the late 80s when I was skiing on 180cms and bumps were just torture. I guess I should just trust.

Sponsor