• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

James

Out There
Instructor
I think we have the picture of Bob's divot were his face planted. It was deep in packed powder and had the imprint of his sunglasses perfectly cast.

First time I met Bob at Brighton 2003, he peeled off the stickers on his brand new elan race skis that said something about don't use before tuning. (no base bevel) Then at some point he completely blew up. That was the first time I'd seen an examiner explode that bad.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
First time I met Bob at Brighton 2003, he peeled off the stickers on his brand new elan race skis that said something about don't use before tuning. (no base bevel) Then at some point he completely blew up. That was the first time I'd seen an examiner explode that bad.
If @Bob Barnes checked in here once in a while he may find us talking about him. ;)

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's just a flesh wound;)

I'm surprised your health care provider didn't suggest leg lifts, increasing from no weight to ankle weights in 2.5 - 5Lb increments. Strengthen surrounding muscle while MCL heals. But please consult with a professional before taking my advice, been decades since I had the same injury and things change.

Sorry I don't feel compelled to say good luck because I know you'll be fine:)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Saw this.
Couldn't resist.
:duck:
tenor.gif

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Gotta watch those slow speed drills, slow enough not to release the bindings, fast enough to damage you before you can do something about it. Soft snow caught me off guard last spring when the tip dug in as I tried to pop back up and I got catapulted (broke humerous).
I am a big fan of PT. Were I you, I would get some.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
His best friend is a PT...if he felt it was necessary...he would like nothing more than to cause @Andy Mink pain.
When Andy wants to go skiing, Phil is his best friend.
When Phil is through with Andy, his PT friend is his best friend. ;)

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I am a big fan of PT
Paid Torture. I've done it with two shoulder surgeries, back issues, and a few other little things. I'm all for it! For an MCL the biggest thing I can do is not let anything bend my leg sideways until the ligament is healed. So, I have this really cool brace. Other than that, it's walking as usual. Along with some leg strengthening exercises.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
When Andy wants to go skiing, Phil is his best friend.
When Phil is through with Andy, his PT friend is his best friend. ;)
Um, @Philpug wasn't with me. Seems like someone else was there. :D

L&AirC

PSIA Instructor and USSA Coach
Skier
Saw this.
Couldn't resist.
:duck:
tenor.gif

Oh good god!
This reminds me of my own ef up a few years back. I'm heading towards the lift in full view of a busy crowd in the beginner area and wanted to get there before all the never evers clogged up the line. Clicked in to my skis real quick and started skating only to find out one of my boots didn't click in and when I went to glide on that side - Boom! face plant.
:crash:

Thankfully the only thing hurt was pride. I felt like those little goats that pass out and fall over when the get scared.

Heal up Andy!

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I've the beast.
20181220_175051.jpg

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Was THAT prescribed? The ortho provided the Ossur for my MCL tear.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Was THAT prescribed? The ortho provided the Ossur for my MCL tear.
My PT wanted more lateral stability than what a shorter one would provide. It is hinged so walking us still no problem. It's actually not too uncomfortable and has a lot of fit adjustment.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Is the lateral condyle pad supposed to be free or snugged up?
Snugged up. I'm still working in the adjustment. I may have to add an additional pad in there. There is not a straight line from my calf to my thigh. Both are a bit larger than average, or so I've been told.

I got the brace late yesterday. It's borrowed so I don't want to mess with it too much. Due to insurance requirements:doh: I haven't seen the ortho doc yet. Referral required, PCP can't see me until Monday, maybe a week to get approval, etc. I may go and pay *gasp* cash. My PT had, however, talked to my ortho and they're comfortable with the PT's diagnosis.

I trust my PT literally with my life (best of friends for almost 30 years) so I'm good with his call.

Sponsor