• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

James

Out There
Instructor
Well that is a rather large tip with a long gentle curve. What exactly happened and why do you think it happened? Like how high was the foot tracing with the tip lifted?

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Well that is a rather large tip with a long gentle curve. What exactly happened and why do you think it happened? Like how high was the foot tracing with the tip lifted?
I was probably going a bit too fast for the drill, though not very fast. Not sure how high the tail was off the snow. @Tricia, @4ster, and I were doing the same drill on a different run a while before. Main difference was the firmness of the snow. Both were groomed but the one I goofed on was much softer. The tip caught and augered. Big divot that was visible from the lift. My guess is my tail was too high and the very tip of the ski started to cut more than I anticipated. It happened really fast so it's all kind of guesses and suppositions. My fault for not reading the snow a little better and accounting for the softness.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was doing a simple drill (inside ski tip etching the surface in a turn while the tail is off the snow) on a run that is about half a green and BAM! Tip angered, I spun and went down. The binding released but not until I felt a POP in my left knee. Short story long, slight tear of the left MCL. It appears to be a 1 to 1.5 out of 4 on whatever scale is used. Three weeks to sit in the corner and think about what I've done. Bummer. But at least this is a busy week coming up with the holidays, the snow is dwindling, and I have a lot of honey dos around the house.
I witnessed the mayhem.
We'd been skiing some pretty firm snow all morning, so we expected the low angle groomer to be just as firm, but it was more like packed powder from the wind buff the day before.
@Andy Mink was doing this drill brilliantly but picking up a little speed when his tip augured into the beautiful groomer. He left at least three divots while completing his summersault.

I guess you should have gone with @Philpug and @4ster in the bumps, you'd have been safer than doing drills with me.
Well, that was not the intention of the drill & I will accept no liability for what happens when not under direct adult supervision ;).
Hope you heal well & quickly
:beercheer:
As noted above, Andy was killing the drill like a pro.

James

Out There
Instructor
It's not a gs speed drill...ogsmile
For good reason.
But sounds like it was a snow issue, posdible tip issue and or too much down force on the tip. Perhaps that tip shape required lots of pressure though. More than say a "regular" 65-85 mm ski tip.

I'm just interested in what happened so I don't get someone hurt. I've never done that with someone on fat skis or in soft snow.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
For good reason.
But sounds like it was a snow issue, posdible tip issue and or too much down force on the tip. Perhaps that tip shape required lots of pressure though. More than say a "regular" 65-85 mm ski tip.

I'm just interested in what happened so I don't get someone hurt. I've never done that with someone on fat skis or in soft snow.
I hope my mistake can be someone else's learning experience.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
For good reason.

It kind of reminded me of a day at Loveland with @Chris Geib and @Bob Barnes a few years ago. Bob stopped at the top of the slope with Chris below and explained how to do a drill and cautioned me that the snow was packed powder and looked like a firm groomer but don't augur your tip because that's how people get boot top fractures.
Bob proceeded down the groomer to demonstrate what he wanted me to do when BAM! he augured his tip and actually got a slight fracture to his tibia.
That was just prior to Mother's Day, and before he moved to Aspen so Bob was bummed to miss out on skiing with the gang all week

James

Out There
Instructor
Well that sounds like Bob!
AtBig Sky Bob looked down at my skis, Head SS Magnums, and told me how dangerous they could be. I think that was just after vailsnowpro got the boot top fracture. So then I had to worry about my "unsafe at speed" skis.

I had a kid augur his tip in the new wet man made. Did a front flip, double eject, and head slam. Not pretty but he was ok. All do to failure to sideslip.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well that sounds like Bob!
AtBig Sky Bob looked down at my skis, Head SS Magnums, and told me how dangerous they could be. I think that was just after vailsnowpro got the boot top fracture. So then I had to worry about my "unsafe at speed" skis.

I had a kid augur his tip in the new wet man made. Did a front flip, double eject, and head slam. Not pretty but he was ok. All do to failure to sideslip.
I think we have the picture of Bob's divot were his face planted. It was deep in packed powder and had the imprint of his sunglasses perfectly cast.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm trying to talk Dominique into coming up and skiing with us too, but she thinks graduate studies are more pressing than skiing. What kind of child did I raise?
Actually she is a pretty incredible young woman. We had fun skiing with her at Rose when she was here.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
So, this confirms the rumors at the Rose bar, that you are a bad tipper!

:roflmao:

Now, think about it. Just three weeks. Serious money that when the season is over, you will have skied 3 times more than this humble servant.

:beercheer:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
you are a bad tipper
I thought I tipped pretty well. About three times!

Honestly, it was one of those falls I didn't see coming. Usually I get a little heads up and think "ah, nuts". Yesterday's was BAM! you're down.