• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I use to play. Thanks for sharing all those beautiful guitars and memories. My dad and I spent many hours with some of his friends playing. This is the only one I have left. My dad made it.
20200408_142447.jpg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm just going to leave this right here.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Martin switched to Indian Rosewood in 1969, instead of Brazilian Rosewood. One can still get a custom shop with Brazilian RW, but at near 3x the price of a "regular" one.

I got mine used from a shop I trust at a good price. It's a 1971 so IRW (Indian RW). The '70s Martin's don't have a good reputation, because there were a lot manufacturing flaws (miss-placed bridges) and truss rods hadn't yet been introduced. But, sometimes one can find a winner.

Don't know your budget, but it'll be around 2k for a clean used one, vs 3k for street priced new.
I plan on playing it for 30 years, so dollar cost averaging is my mindset.
When did the original Martin management sell. I had heard that a company from Japan purchase Martin and some people said that the quality was not the same after the sale.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When did the original Martin management sell. I had heard that a company from Japan purchase Martin and some people said that the quality was not the same after the sale.

The company, founded in the U.S. has been continuously family owned and operated for six generations. Currently headed by Chairman and CEO Christian Frederick Martin IV, the company has been handed down five times since it was started by German immigrant Christian Frederick Martin Sr. in 1833.

Uncle-A

Skier

The company, founded in the U.S. has been continuously family owned and operated for six generations. Currently headed by Chairman and CEO Christian Frederick Martin IV, the company has been handed down five times since it was started by German immigrant Christian Frederick Martin Sr. in 1833.
Thanks, I guess that the rumors should not be trusted. BTW when I drive to Blue Mountain PA if I take about a 10 minute detour I can drive by the Martin office building, not sure if they still make the guitars at that location but it is cool to see the Martin name on the building.

Uncle-A

Skier
@Uncle-A came across a couple of videos that you might like... ;-)

What, me trying to enable you?!? No! ;-)
@Plai Thank you for thinking of me with these videos. When I first saw the post I scrolled down to the third one with the 1966 D-28 and had to watch that one first. The model that was 11 of 50 must have been a special edition and the 1966 that they took off the wall was a treasure. I next watched the 2016 vs 2017 video and that was cool and last the one on the specs of the 2017. It sure does make a person think. Thanks again it put a big smile on my face just to watch.

Sponsor