• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

My New Toy

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
875CB8AB-1D69-47EB-8141-91F19619AD90.jpeg
Well I decided to move into the E-Bike era. Just got this and got my first ride in this morning before the rain hit. It was my first ride of the year too.

First impression; :yahoo:

It is a Trek Supercommuter +8s, 28 mph pedal assist bike, 11 speed. (I love the wind in my face.) I live in a hilly area and got tired of getting up hills. It has 5 power levels, nothing, Eco, Touring, Sport, and Turbo.

Started out in Eco. Nice smooth ride. I could feel the power ease in and out as I started and stopped pedaling. No jerks or lurches. At higher power levels I could feel the acceleration as the motor supplemented my pedaling. The speed increased nicely and I suddenly found the bike cruising at a nice clip.

Then I tried Turbo. :eek: >>. :D Two words; FREAKING ROCKET! I started pedaling and shifting through the gears and was up to the limit in an amazingly short time. WOW! FUN! And I got a good workout to boot.

Came up a short rise that has given me problems in the past. Right up it with no issues. This is going to help me with the hills around here and open up more areas to explore and have fun with.

I use to ride a BMW R80RT. I figure the Trek is a good combination of a motorcycle and a bike.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Trek did a good job hiding the battery in the frame. Makes it look cleaner than some of the others.

TS
T-Square

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
For want of a bolt.

Just to let those who have one know, the Trek Super Commuters +8S has been recalled for safety. As Trek puts it:

"If the wrong bolt that holds the front fender to the fork crown is installed during assembly, the bolt can unthread and the fender can fall on the front wheel. If this happens, the bike can stop suddenly, and the rider could be involved in a serious accident."

:facepalm:

My bike is in the shop awaiting the arrival of the new bolt, washer, and locktight.

Here’s the recall notice: http://trek.scene7.com/is/content/TrekBicycleProducts/Asset Library/documents/Manuals/pdf/TK19_RECALL_Super_Commuter_Consumer_Notice_US_EN.pdf

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
That is a very cool toy.
Are you still liking it as much? How long does your battery hold up? Please tell us more.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That is a very cool toy.
Are you still liking it as much? How long does your battery hold up? Please tell us more.
And a good looking one at that. I wouldn't mind havign something like that for running errands here.

TS
T-Square

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh Yes! :yahoo: I LIKE it

I’ve put a bunch more miles on it. I’m around 230 before the recall. I hit the hills without worry or walking now.

My longest ride was 32 miles in 2hr 50min. That includes a juice stop and ice cream stop. (My glucose was getting way too low. :D Any excuse for ice cream.) If I remember correctly there was about 15-20 miles left on the battery. I used about 80% of the charge. Only took about 4 hours to recharge. I move back and forth through the power boosts depending on the conditions. I use the power boost sort of like the chain ring on a normal bike.

My normal ride now is 8 to 20 miles depending on when I get out. It’s just fun to be on.

Let a couple of friends give it a try on Turbo. They are both believers now. After a short ride up a very steep driveway and then along the flats they were beaming. It was eye opening for both of them. One commented that he found he got going a bit faster than he realized and had to back down. Me, I love the wind in my face.

I’m glad I decided on this as my birthday present this year.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I would love to have that thing and just mount some PBR is the holders and then just go the Notch and ride up and down in turbo while chugging PBR past roadies.....

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@T-Square, I've ridden that bike quite a lot.

It's a ROCKET!

Enjoy!

P.S. Just remove the front fender, and keep riding until the fancy bolt/washer arrives.

TS
T-Square

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Well I have a bunch of 20 to 30 mile rides on it. Most with some decent hills. It is a rocket and handles asphalt, dirt roads, and rail trails nicely. Even after the longest run the battery still had 20 to 30 percent remaining. I’m enjoying it more and more.

6CBF60CD-14E1-4CB6-9A75-56A53CCBEBF2.jpeg

As is normal I did some customizing. It now has a Thud Buster seat post and a bi-saddle seat. Still getting the seat adjusted to fit my tush. The Thud Buster is great. It takes the sharp bangs out of the ride. Also added a stem riser and shorter stem to get the handlebar in a more comfortable position. Replaced the pedals with some nice mountain bike flat pedals. Finally added a Banjo Brother’s large frame pack to carry emergency tools and tubes.

TS
T-Square

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
You got a backup battery/jump box in there?

Nope. If the battery quits I’ll just hump it home. :( By the flattest route possible.

Sponsor

Staff online