• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

My new ____________ & _________ box?

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Short version, my car was totaled this week & I'm in need of a new ski car & box.

Currently leading is a Honda HR-V + an Inno box combo.

Thoughts?

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I got in the Honda HR-V and immediately got out before I even drove it. Big on the outside and not big on the inside. I'm a fan of usable space. We ended up with a VW 4-Motion Sportwagon. I'm not sure they make the 4-wheel drive model in the Sportwagon designation anymore, but All-Track is same car with a bit lifted suspension and some cladding. VERY usable, well-thought out design, actually pretty sporty and drives great, and gets 35-37 mpg on highway trips. It also has factory rails that will accommodate Yakima/Thule bars, and rooftop is low enough that I can mount my Yakima box and still get in and out of it w/o needing a stepstool (and I'm 5'7"). And...for some incomprehensible reason, they're not selling all that well and you can get deals on them now.

For me...no 2nd thoughts ever.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I like Hondas (I have a 2002 CR-V) and have looked at the HR-V, but I don't like how small the rear window is, and the rear door handles are stupid. I'm thinking maybe Subaru Crosstrek (the plug-in hybrid version that's supposed to be coming). My CR-V is running strong though, so I'll wait to see what happens with that Crosstrek. It's at the top of my list right now, though.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
* 2019 RAV 4 / Torque Vectoring, or the Hybrid for that extra oomph if you can wait a little longer.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Short version, my car was totaled this week & I'm in need of a new ski car & box.

Currently leading is a Honda HR-V + an Inno box combo.

Thoughts?

With that short a roof line you will be able to feel every wind gust (and wind pocket and truck vortex) in the steering wheel. Conventional boxes fitted onto small cars basically create a badminton birdie shape - with the feathers facing front - and conventional air deflectors make the effect even worse.

Last edited:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I got in the Honda HR-V and immediately got out before I even drove it. Big on the outside and not big on the inside. I'm a fan of usable space. We ended up with a VW 4-Motion Sportwagon. I'm not sure they make the 4-wheel drive model in the Sportwagon designation anymore, but All-Track is same car with a bit lifted suspension and some cladding. VERY usable, well-thought out design, actually pretty sporty and drives great, and gets 35-37 mpg on highway trips. It also has factory rails that will accommodate Yakima/Thule bars, and rooftop is low enough that I can mount my Yakima box and still get in and out of it w/o needing a stepstool (and I'm 5'7"). And...for some incomprehensible reason, they're not selling all that well and you can get deals on them now.

For me...no 2nd thoughts ever.
I'd have to agree re: a wagon as compared to a SUV/CUV or whatever the current acronym is. They all look good on the outside but there's not much room behind the seat. If there is a 3rd row there's VERY little room behind the seat. I've been in @Philpug and @Tricia's Alltrack quite a bit and it's really nice. With real snow tires the only thing that will hold you up is deeper snow. If I were to get a replacement for our Passat the Alltrack or Sportwagon would definitely be at the top of the heap. You may even be able to pick up a diesel version that has been refitted after the cheat fiasco a couple of years ago. We got "the fix" on our Passat and there is little to no noticeable difference in drivability and mileage dropped maybe 1-2 mpgs on the highway.

Sponsor

Staff online