• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

My name is Brian & I have fat feet........

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
:snowball:

Most recently I’ve been in size 25 plugs with a little grinding. I arrived here as 24s were a ton of work & the cuffs were rather low. 24 plugs were more than lil trouble, the caused spurs & failed to overlap.

Trouble is the shell is little big on the 25 & this has not helped my skiing. Plugs are also quite twitchy in freesking crud (at my weight). End up slopping round in the 1 finger+ shell fit.

Nordica driver plates have solved the low cuff conundrum.

So pick me a new boot!

*looking for suggestions- will not spend $$ based of interwebz boot fitting.

Criteria-

Wide - thinking 100. I had some Tecnica Cochise Lites in 24 / BSL of 290 & the width allowed my to close the lower w some mild bunion grinds. They skied like poo, but they fit.

BSL ~285-290 don’t think I can do smaller ; 293 Full Tilts were comfy; 295mm Cochise was too long; 285 98mm infernos failed to close

Flex - 130+

Materials- PU; I’ve over powered Grilamid shells with catastrophic results this season.

Walk mode - Nope, I’ve broke bunch of them

GripWalk - Yes

Thanks!

C0235083-A8CF-4186-89BF-4A36D1C63319.jpeg

Last edited:

Uncle Louie

The Original Gathermeister
Skier
Take a look at the specs on the Solomon X Max ------------X pro. It's made in a 130 flex which feels a little soft to me. I think if I had it to do over I may have gone a little stiffer. I suspect they still mold the shell on those models. I don't know what Solomon's plan are for those boots in 2018. Comfy boot, great performance.

I think my foot may be about the same width as yours from the pictures. I'm in the Max which is actually slightly narrower than the Pro. Check em out.

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
I know it’s the end of the season & my feet are likely as swoll as ever, but here is my foot on the 25 Zeppa - may not get into a 24 well after all.....
FC1EA99D-6DB9-4B27-A225-166F20C6846C.jpeg

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
*I’ve got tiny fingers & thats a Zeppa from a long (297mm) Mondo 25.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I have wide a forefoot (100mm), very high instep, low arch and not very prominent ankle. One foot measures 25mm in length, the other 25.5.

My old boots were Tecnica Cochise Pro130. They were 100mm wide in size 26 which I needed to get enough volume and initially needed buckle extenders to get the 3rd buckle from the toe done up, punched at baby toe. They had great heel hold down and initially made my heels feel a bit numb.

My new this season boots are Head Advant-Edge 125. They are "Form Fit" which means the shell with the liner in the boot (but not the foot bed), get heated in an oven and then with the foot bed inserted, worn for 15 minutes.

These boots are 102mm wide in size 26 and 100mm wide in size 25, which is my correct length.

I work in a demo centre,so I order boots from the rep and do my own fitting. (I did find a pair to try on at a shop in whistler prior to ordering) Initially I needed a buckle extender to close the 3rd buckle on the first try on of the brand new boots but things compressed enough after that that the buckle extender was not needed. However my toes where numb after 20 minutes, but I kept them on for about 40 minutes.

I gave my feet time to recover by waiting until the next day to try on liners only. Toes went numb again after 20 minutes, so I decided to stretch the liner toe box. A jar of Snow Seal seemed to be the correct size, so I jammed it on its side as far up into the liner toe as it would go and then left it overnight. The next day my toes did not go numb so I skied a few runs and the boots felt pretty good but pretty snug.

I was told that the oven heating process tended to create room in the boots which was what I was looking for. I did not need to get these boots punched, they seemed just as stiff as the 130 flex old boots and no further adjustment needed. I started out with ultra thin socks and ended the season still wearing the same ultra thins after about 40 days in the new boots.

While at 125 flex, these boots may not be stiff enough for the OP, these days Nordica is also offering a 102mm wide in size 26 boot with a 130 flex called Sport Machine 130.

Sponsor