• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

My how things have changed.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
This came up on the local classifieds for 300 dollars(which is not worth it). So glad we finally figured out what makes for a good a MTB and got away from road angles and reach numbers.

70320875_10101970427050679_5936810238152802304_n.jpg

Ross Biff

The older I get, the faster I was....
Skier
This came up on the local classifieds for 300 dollars(which is not worth it). So glad we finally figured out what makes for a good a MTB and got away from road angles and reach numbers.

70320875_10101970427050679_5936810238152802304_n.jpg
Looks like a great durable xc bike for a 6'8", 300lb clydesdale

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Looks like a great durable xc bike for a 6'8", 300lb clydesdale

lol except the top tube is probably shorter than a modern day size "S" bike.

Ross Biff

The older I get, the faster I was....
Skier
If I recall correctly, this bike had a 24" rear wheel and a 26" front wheel......so now we have bikes with 29" front and 27.5" rear wheels which could conceivably be set up with 27.5 front and 26 rear! Every thing old is (kinda)new again.:rolleyes:

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
I don't know, there are times I'd like to get that kind of Bottom Bracket clearance again. It's amazing how many bikes still use the Horst link.... still one of the best active designs especially for square-edged small bumps and braking

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If I recall correctly, this bike had a 24" rear wheel and a 26" front wheel......so now we have bikes with 29" front and 27.5" rear wheels which could conceivably be set up with 27.5 front and 26 rear! Every thing old is (kinda)new again.:rolleyes:
Trek had a short lived 6-9 series too.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I'm curious. As someone who nearly bought an FSR back in about 96ish what is so terrible about it ( bought a super V instead and had a lot of fun)?

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I'm curious. As someone who nearly bought an FSR back in about 96ish what is so terrible about it ( bought a super V instead and had a lot of fun)?

There is nothing wrong with this "particular" bike this post is more a jab at the Geometery which is crap. Yes people rode, hell some people rode it pretty fast, and yes people had fun on these old bike, but the geometery was crap, just noone knew is back then.

There are hardtails that will go downhill better than an old DH bike like this bike simply due to geometery. The bike I posted BTW in the Original post was a size M.

I own the godfather of modern geometery a preproduction 2012 Kona Honzo size M, this bike literally changed the bike industry. The Honzo has a slacker Head angle, much steeper seat tube, shorter seat tube(more room to move around), longer Top tube, like much longer, lower BB, almost all modern bikes the past couple years follow this trend of long,low and slack.

IMG_4895[1].JPG

To put it in perspective a modern enduro bike will absolutely be faster than 2000s era DH bike downhill, and can easily be pedaled back up the hill.

Last edited:

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
There is nothing wrong with this "particular" bike this post is more a jab at the Geometery which is crap. Yes people rode, hell some people rode it pretty fast, and yes people had fun on these old bike, but the geometery was crap, just noone knew is back then.

There are hardtails that will go downhill better than an old DH bike like this bike simply due to geometery. The bike I posted BTW in the Original post was a size M.

I own the godfather of modern geometery a preproduction 2012 Kona Honzo size M, this bike literally changed the bike industry. The Honzo has a slacker Head angle, much steeper seat tube, shorter seat tube(more room to move around), longer Top tube, like much longer, lower BB, almost all modern bikes the past couple years follow this trend of long,low and slack.

View attachment 80252

To put it in perspective a modern enduro bike will absolutely be faster than 2000s era DH bike downhill, and can easily be pedaled back up the hill.

The first generation Process 153-the first full bus built on the Honzo geometry blew my mind. I still think the Kona process/ honzo geometry is the best in the business..I just wish they'd make a little more room for a big tire on the Honzo.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Umm they have the “big honzo” which can take 27.5 x 3.0 or 29 by 2.6. They also have the wozo which takes 4.8s.......

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
OK slacken head angle, shorten stem, tighten seat post angle, drop BB & the top tube length kinda takes care of itself.

From what I remember of test riding the FSR it felt kinda high and a bit boingy. But then all comparable bikes were those days. & importantly it was under $1000 which would get you laughed at as a hardtail budget these days. I think ideally I'd have bought a Heckler but just couldn't find them.

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Umm they have the “big honzo” which can take 27.5 x 3.0 or 29 by 2.6. They also have the wozo which takes 4.8s.......

I hadn't thought about the big Honzo, though you can't get that with 29er wheels, can you? You'd have to buy those after market, which seems like an expensive way. to go about it..wish they spec'ed them with the 29er 2.6's (or just made this the standard Honzo frame).

The standard carbon Honzo is a tight with the 2.25 ardent they spec it with (yuck), the Steel is a little better, you can get a skinny Minion in there,Though same with the now defunct Ti version.. maybe they've changed up the 2020 versions, I haven't seen one yet, though. Still a great bike, and that's just me nitpicking.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
A shot from the collection in our shop.

We house the bikes of Durangatans who have competed in the Olympics, Worlds, or won national championships. Ned's World Champion globe lives at the shop. That is the start of the collection, in chronological terms.

That banner that you see.... That disappeared immediately after the 1990 UCI Worlds in Durango. It resurfaced in (I think) 2013, at a UCI event in France, and Ned brought it home again.

The 19876 / 87 NORBA Nationals were held in out community of Edgemont, before it became an upscale, white ghetto. Cindy Whitehead took the title when she came from CA for the race. She never left Durango, and now lives in the community.

Ben-Gavelda-MBS-TROVE-Bike-Mag-3.jpg

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
@Josh Matta - just picked up a “modern” used hardtail & it could use some updated tires. Suggestions for Vermont terrain? Size? 2.8? Would love to run 3.0” - but I’m reading it could be sluggish.

Sponsor