• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

My how things have changed.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
A shot from the collection in our shop.

We house the bikes of Durangatans who have competed in the Olympics, Worlds, or won national championships. Ned's World Champion globe lives at the shop. That is the start of the collection, in chronological terms.

That banner that you see.... That disappeared immediately after the 1990 UCI Worlds in Durango. It resurfaced in (I think) 2013, at a UCI event in France, and Ned brought it home again.

The 19876 / 87 NORBA Nationals were held in out community of Edgemont, before it became an upscale, white ghetto. Cindy Whitehead took the title when she came from CA for the race. She never left Durango, and now lives in the community.

Ben-Gavelda-MBS-TROVE-Bike-Mag-3.jpg

Show me a Tioga tension disc!

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
@Josh Matta - just picked up a “modern” used hardtail & it could use some updated tires. Suggestions for Vermont terrain? Size? 2.8? Would love to run 3.0” - but I’m reading it could be sluggish.

I am assuming it fits those tire right?

The reality is both are going to feel sluggish on smooth surfaces, but on rough terrain both should roll faster due to less leverage from the ground working to ping the tire.

I mean are you riding this for fun or expecting to XC race it? For Fun I d go with 2.8 since there are just better options in that size than 3.0. Minion Front and Rekon Rear should be great. if you looking for outright speed up and down 29er x 2.5 - 2.3 is still the way to go.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
I am assuming it fits those tire right?

The reality is both are going to feel sluggish on smooth surfaces, but on rough terrain both should roll faster due to less leverage from the ground working to ping the tire.

I mean are you riding this for fun or expecting to XC race it? For Fun I d go with 2.8 since there are just better options in that size than 3.0. Minion Front and Rekon Rear should be great. if you looking for outright speed up and down 29er x 2.5 - 2.3 is still the way to go.

Current bike is a 71°/ 73° Race Hardtail with either a rigid carbon fork or 100 mm XC race fork & Maxxis ardent’s @ 29x2.4.

This new rig is a 27.5+ bike that will fit 3.25 tires and has a dropper post and 130 mm upfront - still a hard tail for this retro grouch utilitarian. Angles at 67°/73. 36mm rims, has worn 3.0z now.

Have been coaching youth Mountain biking club and it’s mainly ride a little bit, huck some stuff and then rest. Mostly trails & 10% park.

Thanks in advance!

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I mean I d go Minions DHF 2.8 and Rekon Rear 2.8......heck I am literally planning a 27.5+ hardtail with those tires. The 3.0s avaliable dont grip better than the best 2.8s out right now.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
@Brian Finch - tires and size are a preference thing too. You may find that a certain tire that I like or Josh likes may be too much or too little tire for you. The Maxxis that Josh mentioned are popular and well regarded. But I personally found the Maxxis tires a bit aggressive for me. I prefer a rounder tire with shallower and tighter tread spacing. Unfortunately for me I think my mtn biking is pretty much done for the year as school has picked up and has been a time suck.

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
they do ride less on and off in the wider sizes than the 2.3 - 2.5 tires that tend to be lean over or die. There is reason Diane is conti Mountain kings and I ride mostly maxxis/specialized she does nt lean the bike over enough to make use of the maxxis tires, but in the plus sizes they tend to be easy to ride. I honestly dont know other companies plus tires I just know I would avoid scwalbe at all cost because IMO their compounds arent crap for eastern root riding.

My last WTB felts really good on wet rocks and roots, but I hated how the tire cornered because the side knob had no support. WTB newest stuff looks legit though but their plus size tires dont look like tires for me. Some of their 2.5 are looking great though....

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
they do ride less on and off in the wider sizes than the 2.3 - 2.5 tires that tend to be lean over or die. There is reason Diane is conti Mountain kings and I ride mostly maxxis/specialized she does nt lean the bike over enough to make use of the maxxis tires, but in the plus sizes they tend to be easy to ride. I honestly dont know other companies plus tires I just know I would avoid scwalbe at all cost because IMO their compounds arent crap for eastern root riding.

My last WTB felts really good on wet rocks and roots, but I hated how the tire cornered because the side knob had no support. WTB newest stuff looks legit though but their plus size tires dont look like tires for me. Some of their 2.5 are looking great though....

Took the rig out for a ride & HOLY COW!!!

With bald Kenda Havocs, it climbed like a beast & descends better that my old FS bikes. With the dropper, I was leaning the corners & drifted front/rear several times in a manner that said ‘best get some Maxxis on board :)

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Some old stuff.

I had a Schwinn Varsity, but not the kind with this funky Shimano Front Freewheel. The chain always turns with the rearwheel so you can shift even when you coast. Apparently, for safety, the cogs on the cassette would disconnect if you caught something in the chain. This bike is not a keeper. I've been garaging it for someone that has since decided it can go.

schwinn shimano FF 1977_10.jpg IMG_20190918_124616503_HDR.jpg IMG_20190728_094107669.jpg IMG_20190728_094058773.jpg IMG_20190918_124557084_HDR.jpg

The Ti Voodoo D-JAB was my first serious bike. My Bridgestone MB-5 was stolen out of my truck. The shop owner of the shop I raced for was selling it as he was upgrading. It was a touch too big but I got it anyway. Shortly thereafter I got a warranty frame replacement due to a crack in a dropout weld. I asked for (and received) a Medium in return.

The parts are from the original build. Missing is the Allsop suspension seat post that was replaced for the one currently installed. If I'd done the swap, I'd have held onto the old seatpost. Alas. The RockShox SL works well, but the installed Marzochi has about twice the travel. Look at the length of that DEAN stem. Oh my. I'll hold onto this bike for sentimental reasons as well as with slicks, it is fun on the road/rec paths.

IMG_20190918_125804965_HDR.jpg IMG_20190918_125559959.jpg

Sponsor