• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Just bought a black shell by Sherpa and I need some good mid layer suggestions.

Non fleece/non cotton materials.

What are some good ones and if anyone has anything for sale that would be fabulous too :) XL is my size.

Can a mod fix my heading. I typed reed instead of need. Thanks.

Last edited:

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
No fleece at all? It's the most economical choice with solid performance. I love grid fleeces (like Patagonias R1) in ski conditions from 15-35 degrees.

Colder than that, I recommend a highly breathable synthetic down. Patagonia's nano air is an example, but anything with Polartec Alpha would also be a good choice. The highly breathable part is important as many down jacket products have not-very-breathable face fabrics that makes the down wet out and the wearer get clamy in a high activity sport like skiing. Synthetic is important because it retains performance when damp.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'd push synthetic in case you sweat - I'm a big fan of the Ether Driclime by Marmot, but I'm in the PNW, so it's pretty minimalist (just brushed nylon, like a Patagonia Houdini with a brushed interior). Patagonia Nanopuff or Nano Air or the Arcteryx Atom LT or SL (or the REI Activator is their generic version or the Salomon Drifter are similar). I also really love the Dynafit midlayers like the TLT Hybrid, Traverse Hybrid, Mezzalama hoodie, or Elevation Hoodie. La Sportiva, Rab, and OR also have great quality light to mid-weight synthetics.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I've been wearing Patagonia NanoPuff under my shells for years. I have the NanoAir as well... Some say the NanoAir breathes better, but I never had a problem with either one. Both work just fine.

One of those and a wool sweater keeps me comfy down to pretty damn cold... I have heavier weight fleeces I'll throw on under my Nano pieces if it's stupid cold (i.e., like it has been the past couple weeks here in New England).

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I think it was suggested no fleece or cotton in case I sweat. However, I'm not a big sweater so perhaps those materials are fine. The jacket is just thin as it's a shell so I just want to make sure I'm adequately warm underneath as I ski in pretty cold temps.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I use a thin base layer with fleece as my insulation. I have 2 vests (1 thin, 1 thick and 2 coats (1 thick pull over, 1 thinner zip front). Not sure what elsr would work better that's not cotton!

Magi

Instructor
Instructor
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. Heeded to Banff Saturday so I'll hunt around. Perhaps I'll find something there.

If you can't find anything at the thrift shops in/near Banff - use your PSIA discount on Patagonia gear. Return policy is great, warranty is even better, and everything performs awesome.

Fleece is fine for sweating, down is less ideal (wet natural down loses it's insulating value).

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
I use mostly fleece because its more breathable than a lot of down/synthetic midlayers. I think fleece is a really good option. For when it's colder, I have a Patagonia Nano Puff - but I don't like it for warmer days because I sweat too much and it gets too wet. I can bring it if you want to borrow it for a day and check it out. The Nano Puff is not super breathable. I have a North Face Thermoball and I much prefer that on not-too-cold days as well. And it dries out fast during lunch in case I get sweaty.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
If you can't find anything at the thrift shops in/near Banff - use your PSIA discount on Patagonia gear. Return policy is great, warranty is even better, and everything performs awesome.

Fleece is fine for sweating, down is less ideal (wet natural down loses it's insulating value).

Thrift/discount shop in Banff?? Not likely. Maybe on the way out of Calgary.

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
Thrift/discount shop in Banff?? Not likely. Maybe on the way out of Calgary.

Actually end of season sales have already started in Banff - Atmosphere has some good deals on right now. Also...Calgary Costco!!!

And Switching Gear in Canmore can be awesome: http://switchinggearinc.org/
It's basically a sporting goods consignment store. You can really find some great stuff here. Also the Banff kijiji is awesome, because a lot of people have high quality clothing/gear they sell for pretty good prices.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Plain polyester fleece can be had for a few dollars all over the place these day. Doesn’t need to have an outdoor brand on it. (Although the fit might be nicer)

If you want something for the colder days, Patagonia Nano-Air is very nice,: it breathes well and is lighter, more flexible than equivalent warmth fleece. It also cuts just a bit more wind, so can be worn on its own on warmer days, during midday, the covered back up by your shell when it cools down.

They are heavily discounted (~40%) all over the place. I have seen them at Pata’s website and at Backcountry.com.
Edit: Women’s not so much.
Here is the Nano Air light, which is thinner. Great for active use. Not enough on cold days under a shell.:
http://www.patagonia.com/product/wo...MI5Ja76LHb2AIVRF9-Ch1RZQ0wEAQYASABEgIJAfD_BwE

OR Ascendant are similar (bit more wind resistance, less breathable) and also often on close out.

Last edited:

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I bought a shell last spring and am still working out the layering, but three mid layers that work for me are the Patagonia Nano Air, the Patagonia Better Sweater (fleece), and the Patagonia Down Sweater. The Down Sweater is only good for colder days, otherwise it's too hot. The Better Sweater and Nano Air are better for warmer days. If it's not sunny and warm I think I'm going to need a second base layer with my Nano Air (maybe a thin fleece over my wool base layer).

Sponsor

Staff online