• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

My first full tune!

DanishRider

Getting off the lift
Skier
Just gotta share this little win. Usually i just drop my skis off at the shop for a tune, but with 6 pairs in the house, i started calculating the cost of this, and ended up with buying a complete set tuning-kit from Holmekol. Did 5 pairs yesterday evening, and couldn't stop since this i actually therapy - Why did i not do this before! The first pair took some time, but the i got the hang of it, and the next 4 pairs just came along nicely. The result and wax-job were much better than i expected! Obviously this wasn't a world cup tune, but i am very happy, and it about the same quality i would expect from a resort shop. I have spent hours and hours watching others on Youtube, and it really isn't that hard! Recipe here:

1. Tune one pair of skis
2. Drink a beer
3. Wax the above pair of skis - and leave for cooling
4. Drink a beer
5. Tune another pair of skis - And leave them for cooling
6. Drink a beer
7. Scrape the first pair of skis, and brush them good (nothing beats a good handjob!)
8. Repeat above steps!

No wife and no kids in the garage while doing it - Why did i not do this before?

Last edited:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Just gotta share this little win. Usually i just drop my skis off at the shop for a tune, but with 6 pairs in the house, i started calculating the cost of this, and ended up with buying a complete set tuning-kit from Holmekol. Did 5 pairs yesterday evening, and couldn't stop since this i actually therapy - Why did i not do this before! The first pair took some time, but the i got the hang of it, and the next 4 pairs just came along nicely. The result and wax-job were much better than i expected! Obviously this wasn't a world cup tune, but i am very happy, and it about the same quality i would expect from a resort shop. I have spent hours and hours watching others on Youtube, and it really isn't that hard! Recipe here:

1. Tune one pair of skis
2. Drink a beer
4. Drink a beer
6. Drink a beer
7. Scrape the first pair of skis, and brush them good (nothing beats a good handjob!)
8. Repeat above steps!

No wife and no kids in the garage while doing - Why did i not do this before?

I guess the last sentence explains a lot. ;) :D

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
it about the same quality i would expect from a resort shop.
Welcome to the addiction of quality.
You must have better shops where you are. Shop wax is hot belt wax around here. I've much more trust in the hand wax than the shop wax.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
1. Tune one pair of skis
2. Drink a beer
4. Drink a beer
6. Drink a beer
8. Repeat above steps!
With all those beers between each step, watch out when scraping second pair, that you are actually scraping second pair and not neighbors car windshield :D

TS
DanishRider

DanishRider

Getting off the lift
Skier
Will report back about the actual quality in two weeks - Going to Portes de Soleil/Avoriaz on friday ! I guess i would be able to get data, for checking if the above recipe ( mainly beer ) need to be adjusted in either direction. Sharp edges and good glide = ADD One more beer ( step 8 becomes step 9, and beer becomes step 8 ). Dull edge and bad glide = remove one beer!

James

Out There
Instructor
Bring a fine diamond stone or ceramic in your pocket in case there's a hanging burr. Very hard to turn on hard snow.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
There are two reasons I love to tune (besides the pure enjoyment of just doing it.)
The feeling of tuned skis all the time.
The gratitude and praise from my wife on how her skis feel.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
There are two reasons I love to tune (besides the pure enjoyment of just doing it.)
The feeling of tuned skis all the time.
The gratitude and praise from my wife on how her skis feel.

My wife is so spoiled! Sometimes I have to threaten her by telling her I will just forget about her skis for a month, and see how she like those apples!

I would also add that by doing your own, one can learn what they like or not. Knowing how a base shape can affect the way the ski handles.
Yes, I said base shape! Some shape in tips and tails is not always a bad thing. Maybe concave. Maybe convex. Who knows, maybe perfectly flat! Most NOT.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Bring a fine diamond stone or ceramic in your pocket in case there's a hanging burr. Very hard to turn on hard snow.

Hard snow? Oh, you must mean ICE! ;)

Sponsor

Staff online