• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

My First Ever Skinning Experience

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Firebannex posted a great thread about his first skinning experience. Now that I had mine, I thought I would take my shot. I will say up front, that you can just put me in second place for who has the best thread. I am conservative in nature, so I did a whole 500 ft skin in my buddy's ski house's back yard. It was the woods and it was in Maine, so do I get some prop"s????:thumb:

Actually, it was a really good way to start, I figured out I will need lots of water, a hydration bladder/pack will be ordered. I tried several coat/shell/layer combo's and figured out what works. After a few "getting the skins stuck to my (fill in any body part here------)" I got them on the skis and hooked up correctly. My buddies got a good laugh at my trials. I did forget to take the separator mesh with me into the woods, so I didn't dare take them off and deal with the glue again. There wasn't much pitch so I skinned back out of the woods too. I was surprised they didn't slide or glide much at all going downhill. The snow was a thin crust over some light powder. Really good grip going up, same grip going down, no glide or slide at all. I assume if there is enough pitch, the skins will slide slowly in the forward direction??

What I learned:

- The glue is sticky and the skins are long and a bit unwheeldy (sp)
- Bring the skin separator and pouch with you, don't leave it at the car
- The pins are tricky to get into, need to have the boot parallel to the ski, I was on a slope sideways and having trouble with this
- In the dense woods, skinning seemed very much like snow shoeing, I was constantly changing direction so short strides
- I wasn't getting any "glide" like I get on xcountry skis. It was basically one step after another
- I really like the new setup I have, I think it will be great for "beyond the back yard"
- The Blizzard Zero G 108's are awesome skis, nice and wide and supportive while skinning, and great in the resort, better than what I thought a 50/50 ski would be. They rock on groomers.

FYI, new setup is Blizzard Zero G 108mm, 185 cm, Atomic Hawx XTD 130's, Atomic Shift bindings.

Not sure about the extra friction in the shift binding I posted about. I thought I could feel it, but it wasn't a big issue either way. Flipping up the toe lever was difficult and I had to take the ski on and off a few times to get it to go into lock mode. I think I cleaned out the pins of snow and debree by taking the ski on and off.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
After a few "getting the skins stuck to my (fill in any body part here------)" I got them on the skis and hooked up correctly.

My #1 suggestion: Attach the skins to the skis BEFORE you go outside, unless you really really want to practice transitions. It just saves time and aggravation. Although in my case, it does add a good amount of dog fur.

JPM

Booting up
Skier
So I take you haven't yet knocked yourself out separating the skin from itself. Regarding glide,do you have nylon skins?
Nice read and hope you get out more.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Which skins did you go with? I'm always in the market for something clingy for spring (they all glide better than ski pons!). The extra bite will probably come in handy on steeper/icier terrain, but if you find it's overkill, you could always switch to mohair or a blend.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Which skins did you go with? I'm always in the market for something clingy for spring (they all glide better than ski pons!). The extra bite will probably come in handy on steeper/icier terrain, but if you find it's overkill, you could always switch to mohair or a blend.

I use the G3 Alpinists from a few years ago. They have made some really nice improvements in the most recent model which are nice. The ones I have have worked well. I dont carry the mesh. I remove them and fold them in half, glue to glue and then fold them again and in the pack they go. Pretty easy. By now they do have some dog hair! But the glue sticks well still and I have used them in a wide range of temps fro -10ºF to 45ºF. On steep slopes your technique needs to be spot on regardless of skins or you will slide. I have not used other skins so I take these are average but reliably performing skins from what I have heard.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
- Bring the skin separator and pouch with you, don't leave it at the car

IMHO....no. Skin separators exist only for long-term season-to-season storage. They just add fiddle factor. Fold the skin in quarters, glue-to-glue. Separators add another step to the process, get caught in the wind, etc.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I use the G3 Alpinists from a few years ago...... I have not used other skins so I take these are average but reliably performing skins from what I have heard.

I hope they got their glue fixed in the latest iteration. I've had multiple failures of older gen G3 glue.

Now if you want some smooooth sliding skins, I can't recommend Coltex's mohair enough.

Or if you like skins that are easier to separate but not glueless, the Contour Hybrids I just picked up feel awesome.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I hope they got their glue fixed in the latest iteration. I've had multiple failures of older gen G3 glue.

Now if you want some smooooth sliding skins, I can't recommend Coltex's mohair enough.

Or if you like skins that are easier to separate but not glueless, the Contour Hybrids I just picked up feel awesome.

No issues so far, and I do not baby them. Well see.

TS
ScottB

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
These are the skins I bought:

Black Diamond GlideLite Mohair Mix STS Skins feature an optimal blend of mohair and nylon with an updated BD Icon print. With a highly supple, packable design that's 60 g (2.1 oz) lighter than similar models of our Ascension skins, these skins bring the efficiency in any conditions. Our patented STS tail system provides up to 10 cm of adjustability and our adjustable tip attachment fits a wide range of ski tips.
  • Mix of 65% mohair and 35% nylon with updated BD Icon print.

163719_GlideLite-Mohair-mix-sts-140mm_web.jpg

I did get them stuck back on themselves in a few spots, I didn't dare fold it in half and stick together. I am a newbie wimp, I am sure I will get the hang of it with a little experience. I was kind of expecting cross country ski like glide, these feel more like snow shoes to me. I bet the snow texture, temp, ect... make a difference. I also was in gently sloping terrain. I really need to get these in the woods or on a resort slope to get a true experience.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I switched from bd skins to pomoca this year and i find them Superior in glue, packability, and everything else.

TS
ScottB

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
IMHO....no. Skin separators exist only for long-term season-to-season storage. They just add fiddle factor. Fold the skin in quarters, glue-to-glue. Separators add another step to the process, get caught in the wind, etc.

I get it now, not in half, lay it flat and then fold each end back to the middle. That sounds like a plan to me for next time.

My #1 suggestion: Attach the skins to the skis BEFORE you go outside, unless you really really want to practice transitions. It just saves time and aggravation. Although in my case, it does add a good amount of dog fur.

In my case I would probably get them stuck to the wall and then peel the paint off. :doh: Since mine are brand new, they don't lack for stick.

I have a Blister membership and these were their #1 skin. They said these particular ones had great glide!!! I guess I will avoid the "sticky' ones. Really its just me experiencing a new thing. Once on something steep, I will probably feel very different.

I just picked up someone above used the word "slide". OK, mine had good slide actually. I was thinking when I stepped or strided forward I would glide for a few feet. As opposed to when I take my weight off the ski, it is easy to slide forward for the next step. This is not cross country skiing apparently. I am not in Kansas anymore.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I get it now, not in half, lay it flat and then fold each end back to the middle. That sounds like a plan to me for next time.

In my case I would probably get them stuck to the wall and then peel the paint off. :doh: Since mine are brand new, they don't lack for stick.

I have a Blister membership and these were their #1 skin. They said these particular ones had great glide!!! I guess I will avoid the "sticky' ones. Really its just me experiencing a new thing. Once on something steep, I will probably feel very different.

I just picked up someone above used the word "slide". OK, mine had good slide actually. I was thinking when I stepped or strided forward I would glide for a few feet. As opposed to when I take my weight off the ski, it is easy to slide forward for the next step. This is not cross country skiing apparently. I am not in Kansas anymore.

Your setup is awesome. With practice you will get much faster. I am sure they glide well but your technique is not there yet. I mean, the ski/skin combo wont glide like a XC ski but they will climb slopes while still in stride that XC skis just cant.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier

Yep. There is also a trick to pulling them apart when extra sticky (especially noticeable in warmer temps). Sort of hard to describe -- grab the tip attachment point, and the middle (both in the middle -- stuck together when you start), put this 1/2 of the skin between your legs while standing/crouching a bit. With your hands pressing down against your thighs, use your thighs to rip apart the skins. You'll need a few spreading of the legs on each 1/2 of the skin, but it comes apart way easier.

In short....I'll need to make a video.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Yep. There is also a trick to pulling them apart when extra sticky (especially noticeable in warmer temps). Sort of hard to describe -- grab the tip attachment point, and the middle (both in the middle -- stuck together when you start), put this 1/2 of the skin between your legs while standing/crouching a bit. With your hands pressing down against your thighs, use your thighs to rip apart the skins. You'll need a few spreading of the legs on each 1/2 of the skin, but it comes apart way easier.

In short....I'll need to make a video.

I can imagine the google search results for the words "spread the legs" and "skin" ....

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I use a sharpie to mark the center point of the skins. When I’m taking them off, I grasp the skin at the center point with one hand then pull it through the other hand using the thumb and forefinger to guide the two halves together.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfLdhApPQaE

When reapplying them, I stand the ski on end (sometimes on my boot toe to keep it from sinking into the snow), hook the tip of the skin to the tip of the ski, and pull on the tail to separate and lay out the skin, straighten it if needed, then apply the tail hook. Sort of like this, but without the skin separator mesh, as mentioned above:

Dog hair and pine needles, carefully applied, will help with overly sticky new skin glue. ogwink

Also, you’re never going to glide like x-c skiing. Advanced tip: get Glop Stopper at Black Diamond, or Nikwax skin glide to prevent snow glopping up on the skin in the spring. Skins get wet in warm snow, then when you go in the shade or colder snow it can ice up on the skin, creating less than optimal “glide”.

Last edited:

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I can imagine the google search results for the words "spread the legs" and "skin" ....

100%

looking forward to the video......

I'll try to get to it this weekend.

I can't recommend enough getting in settings with experienced people. There are so many little tricks to moving faster on skins and in transitions. Its a never ending process of refinement.

Things like:

- In soft, unconsolidated snow when transition to skinning (from skiing) -- transition one ski fully at a time, so you have a better platform to stand on.
- Learn to transition skin to ski without taking skis off. No you don't need to have tons of flexibility. Especially true with skis with leashes which add a step. Warm skins retain tackiness better and it saves taking pack on / off.
- For short yo-yo laps (multiple laps on relatively small terrain), keep your skins in your jacket. Even if you don't have "pockets" for them, the waist belt of your pack will hold it up.
- A longer, but less steep skin track is more efficient than one you need to be in your high risers for.
- Start skinning cold. You'll be stopping in 5 minutes otherwise to delayer.
- Avoid snow getting on your skins religiously. If you do get some on, plant a ski in the snow, use its edge to wipe off the snow.

etc etc etc

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I like the skin savers. I use half ones on each skin. They help me to manage the skin during both transitions. They save my shoulders.

Sponsor

Staff online