• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

ksampson3

Giving 80% effort 100% of the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So I'll be there for the next 4 days (2 days at each) with the fam and was looking for advice on must-do runs. We are all Level 5 skiers, but not looking to do any chutes or double blacks. Mostly bowls and glades. I know that's kind of vague, but hopefully it's enough to get a discussion going. Also, any advice on how to stay away/get away from the crowds, i.e. any preferred lifts to ski that don't get totally jammed up.

Thanks much

blah

Getting on the lift
Skier

Poolskier Vinny

Red Bull Athlete Wannabe
Skier
Welcome:

You arrived just in time for a bit of fresh snow!

To avoid crowds:

Try to get your tix and rental if needed before hand. If you are in Banff there are locations to get tix (ski big 3)…and rentals etc.

LL: Get there early (by 8:00 or so) so you can park close to the lodge is. Parking lots are right across/adjacent to ski hill. Lifts spin at 9:00 (although sometimes they will open a bit early)

SS: You have to take a 20 min gondola ride up to the ski hill so make sure you have everything with you (or gear up at the car) as it’s a bit of a pain to come back down to your car.

If going to sunshine by car you definitely want to get there early…ie: ideally in parking lot by 8:00 am as you want to be somewhat close to the front or middle area where you will load the gondola. (If you want to be in the front rows plan on being there by 7:30)

Ski advice:

Both SS and LL have free tours of the mountain usually twice a day…once in the morning and once after lunch. Look for the “Ski Friends/snow hosts/free tours” Ask at the ticket windows or guest services…it may also be mentioned on the trail map. It lists that info on each hills website too. They are grouped according to ability. Highly recommended! You are welcome to go to both am and pm sessions.

Lake Louise:

The front side will be busy. Backside less so. Obviously you’ll want to ski the parts of the hill that has the best conditions...but in general to avoid crowds ski the backside first then move to the front. If you are on the front and you want to stay frontside for the morning then I'd ski the higher chairs (TOW) and avoid coming down to the base and the crowds.

Front side:
Grizzly gully/gulch is the run under the top of the world (T.O.W) chair…it will be busy and compressed since it’s in a gully…it can get really skied off so be aware. It can be fun if there is no one there and the snow is good. The sides/slopes of this gully area are great IF there is enough snow cover and they haven't been skied off. Coverage was pretty good a week ago and with the new snow i think they are definitely worth doing just be aware this is still early season and there are a few "surprises" under there.
While riding the top of the world chair near the top look to your right. All that area is great and will funnel down to the bottom of the TOW chair - just dont go lower than the blue #50 Lower flight run or you'll have to go to the base.)

Summit platter/poma style lift might be challenging for your group if they are 5’s. (very steep and can be icy…and I’m talking about the lift line/pull going up…not the runs) If you are a competent black diamond skier you will be ok…

Gondola…take it and get a great view of the area…especially if it’s a clear day.

Backside:

Paradise bowl…give it a try it before you try the platter. If you are ok there then you’ll be fine on the platter. This area is generally single and double blacks. It can be a bit moguly but if there is fresh snow then they will be easier. It’s a bit intimidating for some riding that chair…but it’s kind of cool to see it….and it looks worse from the chair than it actually is. Great view from the top of the chair as well. The main drop into that bowl is not super steep. There are adjacent runs (L and R) that funnel into that bowl that are more challenging/steeper. (Cirque/fenceline/swedes etc.)

Larch: has some nice blues and gentle blacks.

Ptarmigan: tree skiing

Sunshine:

If it’s really crowded…. You can ski Goatseye in morning then come back to the main lodge area in afternoon. (This is opposite of what everyone does so you’ll have fewer crowds but doing this is condition dependent) Goats eye has some of the tougher terrain so it’ll depend on your legs/ability.

Main area:

Runs of Standish are fun if there is good snow (short but worth it). Wawa is also worth doing if it has not been skied off…lots of blue/black runs. Strawberry has short runs but good for warmups and green/blue skiers.

Divide chair and teepee town areas are worth doing but watch the wind as it can get cold up there. Teepee is a heated bubble chair with heated seats so it’s worth doing just to day you’ve been on it.

SS has lots of “flat spots” if you have boarders you’ll need to watch ppl around you to so if they are “pinning it”…..it’s likely cause they know there are some flattiies coming up.

Goatseye: South chutes areas are fun but may be outside your zone. You can explore the other blue/black areas in goats eye

Gear up:

LL:

You can boot up in any of the 2 lodges. Whiskyjack (WJ) is lodge on left as you come in from parking lot…Lodge of 10 peaks is lodge on your right side….(fancy high ceiling/big stone wood burning fireplace)

There is an area with racks where you can leave your gear (at your own risk) in the WJ lodge…to your immediate left as you enter the WJ lodge.

SS: you can gear up at the main lodge …there is the same type of free rack storage at the main lodge area.

Food:

TIP both Sunshine and LL have microwaves and hot water dispensers in the day lodges so its easy to bring your own lunch and save $$.

LL:

Is promoting a new $7 lunch menu at the cafeterias…

Eat lunch at Temple lodge which is the only lodge on the back side of the hill. Avoid the 12-1:00pm time. Go early or later. Eat upstairs it’s generally quieter.

OR go to the Whitehorn bistro is ½ up on front side of mountain is a great place to eat lunch if you are OK with spending a bit…great food! TIP: phone that morning and make a reservation for lunch…but be there on time as they only hold your table for 10 min.

SS:

You can eat at either the main daylodge or at goatseye. More selection at the main lodge. You can also eat/grab breaky/après etc. at the gondola base as well.

Hope you enjoy your trip!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Cleavage ar Sunshine.

TS
ksampson3

ksampson3

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks to all, especially Vinny. That's an unbelievable amount of beta for both places! Now if I could just get the kids out of bed. We had a Planes, Trains, and Automobiles scenario where we didn't get in to Canmore until 3:30 in the morning.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome:

You arrived just in time for a bit of fresh snow!

To avoid crowds:

Try to get your tix and rental if needed before hand. If you are in Banff there are locations to get tix (ski big 3)…and rentals etc.

LL: Get there early (by 8:00 or so) so you can park close to the lodge is. Parking lots are right across/adjacent to ski hill. Lifts spin at 9:00 (although sometimes they will open a bit early)

SS: You have to take a 20 min gondola ride up to the ski hill so make sure you have everything with you (or gear up at the car) as it’s a bit of a pain to come back down to your car.

If going to sunshine by car you definitely want to get there early…ie: ideally in parking lot by 8:00 am as you want to be somewhat close to the front or middle area where you will load the gondola. (If you want to be in the front rows plan on being there by 7:30)

Ski advice:

Both SS and LL have free tours of the mountain usually twice a day…once in the morning and once after lunch. Look for the “Ski Friends/snow hosts/free tours” Ask at the ticket windows or guest services…it may also be mentioned on the trail map. It lists that info on each hills website too. They are grouped according to ability. Highly recommended! You are welcome to go to both am and pm sessions.

Lake Louise:

The front side will be busy. Backside less so. Obviously you’ll want to ski the parts of the hill that has the best conditions...but in general to avoid crowds ski the backside first then move to the front. If you are on the front and you want to stay frontside for the morning then I'd ski the higher chairs (TOW) and avoid coming down to the base and the crowds.

Front side:
Grizzly gully/gulch is the run under the top of the world (T.O.W) chair…it will be busy and compressed since it’s in a gully…it can get really skied off so be aware. It can be fun if there is no one there and the snow is good. The sides/slopes of this gully area are great IF there is enough snow cover and they haven't been skied off. Coverage was pretty good a week ago and with the new snow i think they are definitely worth doing just be aware this is still early season and there are a few "surprises" under there.
While riding the top of the world chair near the top look to your right. All that area is great and will funnel down to the bottom of the TOW chair - just dont go lower than the blue #50 Lower flight run or you'll have to go to the base.)

Summit platter/poma style lift might be challenging for your group if they are 5’s. (very steep and can be icy…and I’m talking about the lift line/pull going up…not the runs) If you are a competent black diamond skier you will be ok…

Gondola…take it and get a great view of the area…especially if it’s a clear day.

Backside:

Paradise bowl…give it a try it before you try the platter. If you are ok there then you’ll be fine on the platter. This area is generally single and double blacks. It can be a bit moguly but if there is fresh snow then they will be easier. It’s a bit intimidating for some riding that chair…but it’s kind of cool to see it….and it looks worse from the chair than it actually is. Great view from the top of the chair as well. The main drop into that bowl is not super steep. There are adjacent runs (L and R) that funnel into that bowl that are more challenging/steeper. (Cirque/fenceline/swedes etc.)

Larch: has some nice blues and gentle blacks.

Ptarmigan: tree skiing

Sunshine:

If it’s really crowded…. You can ski Goatseye in morning then come back to the main lodge area in afternoon. (This is opposite of what everyone does so you’ll have fewer crowds but doing this is condition dependent) Goats eye has some of the tougher terrain so it’ll depend on your legs/ability.

Main area:

Runs of Standish are fun if there is good snow (short but worth it). Wawa is also worth doing if it has not been skied off…lots of blue/black runs. Strawberry has short runs but good for warmups and green/blue skiers.

Divide chair and teepee town areas are worth doing but watch the wind as it can get cold up there. Teepee is a heated bubble chair with heated seats so it’s worth doing just to day you’ve been on it.

SS has lots of “flat spots” if you have boarders you’ll need to watch ppl around you to so if they are “pinning it”…..it’s likely cause they know there are some flattiies coming up.

Goatseye: South chutes areas are fun but may be outside your zone. You can explore the other blue/black areas in goats eye

Gear up:

LL:

You can boot up in any of the 2 lodges. Whiskyjack (WJ) is lodge on left as you come in from parking lot…Lodge of 10 peaks is lodge on your right side….(fancy high ceiling/big stone wood burning fireplace)

There is an area with racks where you can leave your gear (at your own risk) in the WJ lodge…to your immediate left as you enter the WJ lodge.

SS: you can gear up at the main lodge …there is the same type of free rack storage at the main lodge area.

Food:

TIP both Sunshine and LL have microwaves and hot water dispensers in the day lodges so its easy to bring your own lunch and save $$.

LL:

Is promoting a new $7 lunch menu at the cafeterias…

Eat lunch at Temple lodge which is the only lodge on the back side of the hill. Avoid the 12-1:00pm time. Go early or later. Eat upstairs it’s generally quieter.

OR go to the Whitehorn bistro is ½ up on front side of mountain is a great place to eat lunch if you are OK with spending a bit…great food! TIP: phone that morning and make a reservation for lunch…but be there on time as they only hold your table for 10 min.

SS:

You can eat at either the main daylodge or at goatseye. More selection at the main lodge. You can also eat/grab breaky/après etc. at the gondola base as well.

Hope you enjoy your trip!

Vinny, great post! You pretty much just wrote the meat of an unofficial resort guide for both mountains. Do you have a few photos from each place to also share? Do you feel like doing any posting in the resort guide section of PugSki: https://www.pugski.com/forums/unofficial-resort-guides.66/
Or would you like me to help by posting some of your info there and then you could review for accuracy/completeness?

TS
ksampson3

ksampson3

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well we got to the Sunshine parking lot at 8:30 am and parked pretty close to the lodge. I'm guessing that it being -12 degrees Fahrenheit had something to do with the small crowd. There were zero lift lines all day, which I'm banking isn't normal for a Holiday weekend, or even a normal weekend. The snow was generally excellent all over the mountain, although some runs got a bit scratchy later in the day. I was really impressed with all of the mountain staff. Everyone was super friendly and professional. I'd highly recommend this place as a destination trip for anyone that's never been here. The scenery alone is worth the price of admission - which was free in the park due to it being Banffs 150th anniversary.
It's off to Louise tomorrow for another day of sub zero temps.

Poolskier Vinny

Red Bull Athlete Wannabe
Skier
Vinny, great post! You pretty much just wrote the meat of an unofficial resort guide for both mountains. Do you have a few photos from each place to also share? Do you feel like doing any posting in the resort guide section of PugSki: https://www.pugski.com/forums/unofficial-resort-guides.66/
Or would you like me to help by posting some of your info there and then you could review for accuracy/completeness?

Hi Jim...I've been meaning to do a resort guide for LL and/or SS....I know there are lots of locals who know way more about the hill than I do but I figure I can start one and others can add in info too. I can make it my winter project. I'll have to get the iPhone out and actually take some pics! Feel free to post that info wherever you think it would be helpful...just mention its a fast draft for now - just so ppl have some info to start with right away.....and a more comprehensive one will be forthcoming....

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Vinny, I'll try to start something in the resorts guide section in the next few days and let you know. There is no rush on this, so enjoy your holidays, but yes, if you can add a few photos to illustrate key features that's a big plus for the guides. Also, if others chime in later once we start something, that's great too.
I have an ulterior motive on this project. i hope to ski your mtns for the first time for few days in late March and your input is much appreciated:wave:.

Poolskier Vinny

Red Bull Athlete Wannabe
Skier
Sounds good Jim.

Also, If I'm around (and not skiing somewhere else ;)....) I'd be happy to give a fellow pugskier the "locals tour". Feel free to pm me if that's of interest to you once your plans have firmed up....Happy Holidays!

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Nice summary Vinny.

Let me know if you need any help with the guide or pics. We should meet up to ski sometime!

Ksampson are you skiing Christmas day?

mmascolino

Booting up
Skier
A lot of Sunshine is above the tree line which can be painful if it is really windy.

Here is a strange recommendation but at the end of the day take the green Banff Ave run to the car. With all its turns and the Canadian Rockies in the distance, it is the most beautiful Green run I have ever been on.

Turoa Kiwi

JH
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sounds good Jim.

Also, If I'm around (and not skiing somewhere else ;)....) I'd be happy to give a fellow pugskier the "locals tour". Feel free to pm me if that's of interest to you once your plans have firmed up....Happy Holidays!
Awesome review thanks That will see us around your hill easily I would imagine,but I would love to take up your offer of a " locals tour" when we are there in late February if you would like to show a couple of advanced ability Kiwis around. Local knowledge is immeasureable. We have four days skiing starting 29 Feb to spread between SS and LL. Cheers John

sky_chicken

Putting on skis
Skier
I second the suggestion of the tour. I've done 4 or so in the 2 trips I've taken to Lake Louise and Sunshine. In LL, the guides are not afraid to take you to the real stuff, and the skiers there are legit. Coming from Sunshine the day before I thought I was hot stuff for Canada, and the "black" group was filled with locals and backcountry guides. After going off what felt like a cliff to me I quickly bailed into an easier group, which still pushed me hard the whole day and ended up being my best ski experience ever.

Poolskier Vinny

Red Bull Athlete Wannabe
Skier
Awesome review thanks That will see us around your hill easily I would imagine,but I would love to take up your offer of a " locals tour" when we are there in late February if you would like to show a couple of advanced ability Kiwis around. Local knowledge is immeasureable. We have four days skiing starting 29 Feb to spread between SS and LL. Cheers John

Hi John, I'll be finishing up a two week ski trip (Whitefish/Fernie/Whitewater/Red/KH) that weekend so I'll be skiing at Kicking Horse that Sat. Feb 29 and Sun. Mar. 1
But I do have a few days free before heading back to KH the following weekend...so the Mon/Tues 2nd and 3rd might work for SS or LL. Unless of course you wanna join me at KH on Sat.29th/Sun1st...and we can run some laps on CPR and Whitewall too! ogsmile...

Be happy to show you around.

Send me a PM for contact deets....and once we are closer to the date we can firm things up.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
I'll be finishing up a two week ski trip (Whitefish/Fernie/Whitewater/Red/KH) that weekend so I'll be skiing at Kicking Horse that Sat. Feb 29 and Sun. Mar. 1
You're going to miss the Gathering? It won't be the same without you and your group.

I will be late joining the Gathering coming out of Mustang, but it's likely I'll be at Revelstoke part of the day on Fri 2/21 (when I need to be at Mustang pickup at 3) and I'm possibly there the preceding day.

After Mustang my plans are Kicking Horse or a Banff area Tues 2/25 and Fernie or Castle on Wed 2/26, all depending on conditions. Let me know if you'll be around any of those days.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
After the Gathering I will be heading to Whitefish for the first week or 2 of March. Looks like I will miss you guys.

Poolskier Vinny

Red Bull Athlete Wannabe
Skier
You're going to miss the Gathering? It won't be the same without you and your group.

I will be late joining the Gathering coming out of Mustang, but it's likely I'll be at Revelstoke part of the day on Fri 2/21 (when I need to be at Mustang pickup at 3) and I'm possibly there the preceding day.

After Mustang my plans are Kicking Horse or a Banff area Tues 2/25 and Fernie or Castle on Wed 2/26, all depending on conditions. Let me know if you'll be around any of those days.

Hey Tony
Yah kinda bummed that we won’t make the gathering this year... It’s such a great time and super to see everyone. (Family commitments this year so needed to be closer to home.) Be back next year tho!

Ahh man!...Looked at my itinerary and ill be at Fernie 20th then WW the 21/22 then Red till the 27th and KH 29/1...Shoot! If ur plans change let me know and we can connect.

Sponsor

Staff online

• dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid