• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Music, Home Studio, Gigs, and Gear. Rockers Unite!

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Nice! My son's too much of a snob to jam with me... well, not really. I think he is just staying in his comfort zone with the high school guitar ensemble and Cadet mid level concert band I'm a little disappointed that he is opting to drop alto/concert band which is an easy A for him to keep an elective slot free for a video game design class he is barely making low Bs/high Cs in. Glad he is sticking with the guitar though..

Dug out my little Fender 4 channel PA and speakers today. Tucked them in the corner behind the floor tom and china cymbal. Might be a bit of overkill just using it to play my little MP3 jam music hahahaha!

-4-Channel-Fender-Powered-Mixer1-london-cp93t.jpg

But hey, never know when I might want to plug in an instrument or dig out a couple mikes.. That would probably require moving the speakers out from behind the drums though..

I should stop by with my Ibanez and make some noise. Of course, I totally suck, but I can make some noise.Give me some gain, a glass of bourbon and we'll rock and roll ... :)

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I should stop by with my Ibanez and make some noise. Of course, I totally suck, but I can make some noise.Give me some gain, a glass of bourbon and we'll rock and roll ... :)

Alright. Give me a heads up next time you are passing through Durham, NC with your gear.. Actually, you won't need to have any gear..
12985361_1275489102466625_315237957018341892_n.jpg

Only the one in the case is what guitar snobs call decent (56 Ramirez student classical my father bought in Madrid when he was stationed there back then). The stuff I play with is all Chinese made poor man gear.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
New score today, BT50
WP_20170308_003.jpg

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Added some wall hooks for guitars.. in the living room...

17457694_1613684838647048_223505304965908512_n.jpg

Last edited:
TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
OK, done adding stuff that doesn't fall in my lap (like a genuine old school Earth Ride). Added a 3rd cowbell (5.5", 8". 10"), ice bell, and a 12" China on the roto rack. PA/Mixer is plugged in for jam music next to newish bass 50. We're not in ear protection wattage but just enough for living room jams.
17553501_1615421841806681_4998317912725303708_n.jpg

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I am really thinking of getting a tube amp. Regardless, last Friday we played with my son and his music teacher at the institute where he learns (they have an open mic night). My son played drums and I played the guitar, his teacher the bass (he can play anything). It was a lot of fun. We did a little bluesie funk/rock piece that came from our jams. What better thing to do with your time (unless, of course, you are skiing :)

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I am really thinking of getting a tube amp. Regardless, last Friday we played with my son and his music teacher at the institute where he learns (they have an open mic night). My son played drums and I played the guitar, his teacher the bass (he can play anything). It was a lot of fun. We did a little bluesie funk/rock piece that came from our jams. What better thing to do with your time (unless, of course, you are skiing :)
My son came in to my "office" and borrowed an electric and Roland MicroCube to work on a Metallica tune his high school guitar ensemble is performing in May. Made me pretty happy. I have a feeling he will know some things we can play together by summer.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Ok, thead drift alert. But I cant find a better place ;)

We saw Radiohead with my son yesterday in Berkeley. Amazing concert. Paranoid android is in my opjnion a monumental creation, I was lucky they played it!

Super, super solid, inspired performance. No demagogic speaches, just music. Executed with a lot of soul, to perfection.

20170418_180603.jpg
image-20170418_194559.jpg

Btw, I think @Warp Daddy would enjoy this thread. Pinging him so he can share his gear :)

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Even though this might be about garage bands, moving out of the garage to Chez Ziggy.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Nice, a friend of mine is a merchandise manager at Cochella. I heard Radiohead has major problems and lost sound twice during their set there.. one time for like almost 10 minutes before the techs resolved it.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
My vintage Techniques turntable hasn't been all that solid, changed the belt but it still seems to not keep perfect speed regardless of how I adjust it. Today I saw another one, not quite as nice but same brand, same power cord and ground wire connections for $10 at a garage sale so I snapped it up. It doesn't have the micro speed adjustment my other one has but the drive motor is in better shape. Keeping my older one as a back up, parts donor, spare belts, needle, etc.. So, now I got two tables and a (three) microphone hahaha..
18274932_1663734133642118_2638858784145804982_n.jpg

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Nice, a friend of mine is a merchandise manager at Cochella. I heard Radiohead has major problems and lost sound twice during their set there.. one time for like almost 10 minutes before the techs resolved it.

Yes. They then came to the Bay, played at the Greek two nights in a row. They had two different sets, Monday and Tuesday. We went to the Tuesday show. On Monday, they said something along the lines of "can we take you all with us?", in reference to their next show as Coachella. I really don't think Radiohead is festival material. Sound problems aside.

I have big respect for them as musicians, but I am not a big fan of some of their ambient , neither the electronica. But it all makes sense on stage. They are incredibly tight, there is a zen to their music, and they sound like what they are, one of the most creative bands since the Beatles (imho).

The most amazing part of the show was, for me, towards the end, in Paranoid Android. Everyone singing, really loud, very much into it, "God loves his children, Yeah!"

Berkeley is the perfect place for them. A little freaky, very artsy. Hipsters, old hippies, music nuts, everyone was there.

dean_spirito

Freestyle Ski Coach
Skier
Here is the setup I've been working with for the last 10 years or so....

Taylor 714ce

G&L Legacy Strat

Outdoor Ukulele

The Taylor has been my daily driver since college. It is undoubtedly one of my favorite acoustics on the planet.

I've had the strat since high school. It got a lot of use in high school and college when I was gigging with different bands, but I really haven't played it much since I moved in 2009. I wasn't able to take my amps with me and I've yet to purchase anything decent to play through. It is part of G&L's Legacy series, hence the faded vintage look on the pickguard and headstock. It also has alnico V pickups which gives it a classic 60s sound.

The uke is a recent addition to the collection. My girlfriend gave it to me for my 30th birthday. It is actually my 2nd uke. I picked up my first soprano when I was living in Hawaii. It is an inexpensive beach uke, but still has a nice tone. I always found it to be too small for my hands though and intended to pick up a tenor at some point. This year my girlfriend surprised me with this one. It is actually plastic and meant to be used as a travel uke. It is waterproof and not sensitive to extreme temps. On top of that, it has a killer sound!

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Scored an 80s Slingerland Chrome over Wood 6'5" deep snare. It is a good match for the drums, but the Grestch I got with them originally is a better snare drum in general..Slingerland looks bad assed though!
18342120_1665722963443235_373134450874838786_n.jpg

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Lots of good tube amps for sale now that digital has finally jumped that shark.

I've added some accessories to the kit in addition to the new(er) big fat bad ass wood snare. I'm a bit of a Star Trek and Star Wars geek..

18519623_1672542492761282_1180832667625013362_n.jpg

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
My son's 9th grade guitar concert gig went well last week. Metallica cover. He's playing the lead acoustic at the end..

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Great playing by your kid and his buddies! Kit is looking good! And, as nuch as a geek as I am, for music I prefer analog. The randomness of electromagnetic beats the reproducibility of digital, in my heart :)

hrstrat57

Skis guitars Mustangs
Skier
I am dying to get a tube amp. Should I? Ay!

Sold off all my vintage point to point wired amps, mostly Fender. Champs Supers Super Champs Bandmaster - many black and silver face monsters are gone. Got tired of keeping em tuned up.

Have 2 Chinese tube amps at the moment. VHT Special 6 head and a Creme custom Vox AC15. Swapped out tubes for quality valves and have a large collection of NOS vintage valves to rotate in for fun.

Both of the amps are absolutely killer. The Celestion Cremeback in the AC15 took forever to break in but breaking it in was fun.......The VHT is point to point based on a Champ circuit....crazy good for the price. Boutique tone for chump change

Jonesin for a Z (probably Carmen Ghia) or a Goodsell 17 tho.....

I'll get some gear pics up once I figure out Pugski photo hosting a bit better....

:(

Sponsor

Staff online