• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Music, Home Studio, Gigs, and Gear. Rockers Unite!

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Dug out the tape decks + 4 track and moved 2nd turntable to the office studio. Fun fact, a subwoffer really enhances that tape HISSSS! LOL ! Will I actually use those decks?? One of them is to the "don't want to rewind so flip it and fast forward instead" stage in life. Hell no hahaha! Just didn't want them hiding in storage..
1705857025850.png

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
^^^ I had to order a $20 pre amp converter to run the old school turntable with that post Y2K receiver.. Living room is running a 90s JVC 7.1 surround with a boosted Phono input. Most modern turntables have a built in pre amp now.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Found a Sherwood linear tracking turntable for the studio office. Regular turntable skips due to bouncy floor, and drums and people hopping around hahaha. This one isn't perfect, auto start drops the needle past the start point so arrow over and push cue. Good from there. Brand new needle and cartridge.
1708827001086.png

1708827044228.png

Looked at some other more vintage Sherwood receivers since looking at this mismatch bothers me a little. I do miss the old warmly lit old sckool ones with the meters banging. But, this one's 100 watts per channel X4 through some towers up front and high end bookshelfs behind my desk.

Most importantly, this handles my TV, Roku, Blueray/CD, Joey, all with the dish remote at my desk. Decided not to give that functionality up for a cooler looking vintage rig, likely pushing less air. Most of the other Sherwoods are <50 watts per channel, but tubes are definitely a louder 50 watts.

The traditional turntables are in the living room.. Top one for play, bottom one is working but mostly just saving for parts/spare. Tried it in the office studio then found the Sherwood worked better in that venue.
1708827499852.png

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
OK so the case color mismatch was triggering my OCD so my much I was looking at silver Sherwood receivers and black Sherwood liner track turntables. Then I just decided to go fat black sharpie FTW hahahaha!

Almost there..

1709062986830.png

1709062896966.png

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
^^^

There's a guy near me who has a small storefront shop crammed full of old stereo gear.

I stopped in there one day and we got to talking. He told me that he sells all his stuff on the internet. He also did some work on my old Music Man tube combo amp.

I'll see if I can find a link.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
^^^

There's a guy near me who has a small storefront shop crammed full of old stereo gear.

I stopped in there one day and we got to talking. He told me that he sells all his stuff on the internet. He also did some work on my old Music Man tube combo amp.

I'll see if I can find a link.
Marketplace also is full of local listings for cool vintage gear cheap.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
So speaking if vintage audio.. For no apparent logical reason I was looking at 80s boom boxes like I used to have. Started with Panasonics because that's the brand I had then saw this .. Montgomery Wards, just threw up a little in my mouth.. But.. but.. it had both cassette AND 8-Track. And it was super cheap. Untested except the radio, sight unseen I paid $70 delivered.

OK so play bent for the cassette is definitely toast.. but the 8 track still plays well along with the radio.. Took the back off to see how involved the cassette belt replacement would be.. 2 circuit boards would need to be removed, and it's all soldered or screwed, no clips to pop and get the stuff out of the way easily..

So, took it as a win since the 8 track works, and I have other cassette player options..

Then I got an idea.. a horrible awful late 80s, early 1990s ideal And it worked! It works hahahaha!

1710808242923.png

The IDEA
1710808275611.png

1710808294549.png

I can connect my phone via a usb-c to 1/8th audio adapter. .It totally works. Not that I'd ever want to hahaha.. But I CAN! WIN!

Sponsor

Staff online