• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Music, Home Studio, Gigs, and Gear. Rockers Unite!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
We need a thread for musicians and music gear. I decided this belongs in the garage for starters..

Drums are currently in the shed, but I have just embarked on a project involving these drums, which I purchased new in 1979. Had a little studio with drums, guitars, bass, amps, a small PA, 4 track etc.. but packed away at the moment while the nest is full. Dug the drums out to check their condition and clean off oxidation. Went hunting for some "enhancements".

Slingerland chrome over wood, 13, 14, 16, 20, Rotos, Zyldjian cymbals, 2 cowbells, and chimes (at present.. stay tuned!)
45095_154538434561703_2588246_n.jpg

LL

I also dabbled in some guitar and played a little bass in a gospel funk project awhile back. But, drums have always been my go to jam.. I suck at guitar. My kid's playing guitar (3rd year) and sax (2nd year) in 9th grade. Been playing piano forever. Hoping someday soon he will want drums in his room hahaha..

What ya got in storage or home studio?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Two cowbells?

More cowbell!

Well, somebody was going to say it......

I had a full Ludwig trap set bought used in 1970. Had fun with friends, then discovered girls and dirt bike racing. Sold at a profit to buy my first race bike. I still miss playing the drums.

As far as guitar went, I gave it a run, and was probably half as good as I thought.

And I thought I was horrible!

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
I totally suck as a guitar player (haven't had time for a while, but probably in retirement); but at least I have good gear. :)

Mesa Boogie Subway Blues amp

P4090762.JPG

2000 Gibson Les Paul Classic 60s re-issue, upgraded pickups, bridge/tailpiece, and tuners...

P3110644.JPG

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don't suck. I gig 2-3 times per month and jam or practice with others at least 1 weeknight every week.

I used to have a jam area in my basement with a cheap CB drum kit a good PA and a couple of amps. Post divorce I downsized to living on my sailboat and now I split my time between that and my girlfriend's 800 square foot co-op apartment.

My drum kit resides in my friend's basement jam space. My PA lives in my storage unit along with 1 of my amps.

I have 5 guitars in the apartment, 1 on the storage unit and 1 on the boat. We are thinking about selling the apartment and buying a small house. A basement suitable for jamming is a requirement!

I have decent guitaring gear - not top shelf because I haul it all around and abuse it. I have 1 really nice, expensive acoustic 12-string that hardly ever leaves the apartment. $500 guitars sound and play great and I don't have to worry about them getting scratched and dinged up. My main gigging guitar these days is a MIM Fender Telecaster I picked up used for $425 and a little 15 watt Fender Blues Jr. amp. Light and easy to cart around and both sound really good.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Got into fingerstyle guitar a couple of years ago. I find it crazy difficult and that's probably why I keep at it. I'm definitely not any good at it.

That said, it's my way to get in the moment. Being a tech dweeb in real life doesn't fill the need for instant gratification nor the exercise of other centers of the brain. Music helps (a lot). That, and exercise (which includes skiing) keep me relatively sane.

Now if I could just play w/o buzz and in time. A man has gotta dream.

A couple of acoustics, and a couple of strats. The strats are for practicing when every one else is in bed. The acoustics are to keep my playing honest.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, I do suck and am proud that I stick with it. I've been playing electric bass and taking lessons for about five years -- I have re-learned how to read music along the way and enjoy the challenge. Unfortunately, my fingers don't move fast enough to play sixteenth notes well, and I don't have a well developed sense of rhythm. I have a MIM Fender P bass and a Markbass micro amp. I tell people that I have played with all the greats: Albert King, The Allman Brothers, Rolling Stones, Steely Dan, etc. The first (and only) time I played live was at my daughter's wedding where I sat in with the band to play "Billy Jean". And I sucked, because I did not practice after downing a few bourbons, only while sober in my living room. But Oh What Fun!

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Ya, I'm a thumb thumper on bass. Also not good beyond strumming with a pick on guitar. I prefer classic chords to bar cords and struggle with the B and B-flat LOL.. That said I can learn some songs on guitar and play it as long as it is fresh. I can't listen to a song and instantly know exactly what the artist is doing the way I can with drums.. Sames goes for freestyle jamming., Can't jam guitar or bass at all, but drums just come naturally, always did.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I play drums but not well. Way out of practice since I sold the house 5 years ago. Drums are just a ton of fun and I am looking forward to having room for my kit again. It might be tough to reclaim my old one as it gets used a good bit at my friend's place.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Most of what I have decent mix recording of is originals but they aren't easy to compare. I've played just about everything but country over the years. Here's a cover I did with a friend that captures my style pretty well all in all though..

Post your favorite selfie recording..

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
We interrupt this thread for an important update. When I said "stay tuned" I was waiting on 2 matching drums to add to my original kit which I have had since 8th grade. Cymbals and hardware goodies were added over the years but I always wanted this to be the end complete state..

Inspiration..
IMG_0124_2%20(2).JPG

Neil Peart's "Chromey" kit played on the first Rush albums through 2112 and All the World's a Stage

My living room right now... Opted to leave the chimes off because... CAT! LOL

16865207_1584000444948821_641032215781912_n.jpg

16999158_1584000544948811_3879574329758807816_n.jpg

I'll play it for a couple days then break her back down and stack her in the corner of the LIVING ROOM hahaha.. Giant chrome cylinder from floor to ceiling

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Oh dang. the front shot photo never showed? Oh well guess I'll try again..

@ARL67 should get this vibe..

WP_20170304_001.jpg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sweet kit! I remember when Peart's kit was that "small".

At the risk of thread drift, let's list some all time favorite rock and roll drummers. For me:

1. Buddy Rich. Possibly played on more studio recordings for big name bands -- instead of their normal drummers-- than any other guy in history.

2. John Bonham. Many will argue that his untimely death elevated his legacy beyond his ability. I disagree. I think he was still improving as a musician when he left us.

3. Keith Moon. Unbelievably wild in live performances. Roger Daltrey once said it used to take about three days to calm him down when they finished a road tour, and moved into the studio.

No surprises there. Looking forward to seeing some more obscure nominations.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'm not one to dis anyone that works hard and gets up there to go for it live. As for kit size, back in 10th grade stage band we hijacked percussion from concert band and a 2nd kick from the choir room. Director went ballistic and made us play with nothing but a bass, snare, and hi hat for 2 weeks. Learning to do more with less is always a great lesson for any musician. I doubt I'll ever be comfortable behind even a small rush kit but it is a fun project and nice to keep old 70s equipment active. I'd never gig with the old fragile stuff. Last time I was gigging I had a 2nd kit dedicated for those rigors.

Bonham had better feet than anyone else at that time and a wicked feel for the tunes he played. There isn't a zeppelin tune drum track I listen to where I think, "humm, that would sound better a different way".

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
crgildart: nice sample of your playing! I'm not at all a drummer....but am a big fan and critic of drumming/percussion. I don't know that the general audience understands how much drumming affects the overall sound and impact of music. It tends to blend into the background if you're listening to the melody and riffs. But a song can be enhanced -- or ruined -- by the drumming.

One of my favorites is Ringo. I guess he's not technically the best, according to many folks, but he just knew how to complement and subtly drive the Beatle's music. Take the drums out of "Something" and you're left with pap.

And Charlie Watts -- I guess a technically better player than Ringo -- if he didn't have that by-play with Keith's slightly off-beat guitar, the Stones would be just another garage band.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
A little fun fact about Neil Peart. He covered his first Rogers kit with foil shelf paper to emulate Keith Moon. So, that explains his choice of.chrome in the early rush days.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Nice! My son's too much of a snob to jam with me... well, not really. I think he is just staying in his comfort zone with the high school guitar ensemble and Cadet mid level concert band I'm a little disappointed that he is opting to drop alto/concert band which is an easy A for him to keep an elective slot free for a video game design class he is barely making low Bs/high Cs in. Glad he is sticking with the guitar though..

Dug out my little Fender 4 channel PA and speakers today. Tucked them in the corner behind the floor tom and china cymbal. Might be a bit of overkill just using it to play my little MP3 jam music hahahaha!

-4-Channel-Fender-Powered-Mixer1-london-cp93t.jpg

But hey, never know when I might want to plug in an instrument or dig out a couple mikes.. That would probably require moving the speakers out from behind the drums though..

Sponsor

Staff online