• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mud and Grass Skiing

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Warming spring temps here in the Northeast means the chance to practice my mud and grass skiing skills is quickly approaching. Always need work on my form to prevent the dreaded face plant. Love to watch the true grass grazers mow down any patch of terra firma in their way. Face it taking off your skis and walking really sucks. Anyone willing to share their favorite tips?

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
air it out!

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
After lousy December weather, a fantastic January, and the return of warm temps the second week of February, here are a couple pics of spring conditions at our small local ski area. I am surprised with the lousy temps out east that you are still skiing. Skiing around here (Omaha) was done mid February (usually season goes to Mid March) -- still fun though for the final days -- snow corned up nicely.

Had a nice trip out to Breckenridge the second week of March. I have an epic local pass - I need to head out again. My wife and son are going to a cello concert in Arizona in a few weeks. May have to make a solo trip to the mountains while they gone???

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
it takes a long time to melt snow. Our man made base on the main mountain is quite thick.

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
it takes a long time to melt snow. Our man made base on the main mountain is quite thick.

Most likely most of your slopes face North. Slopes above face East/Northeast - not a lot of shade. A week before snow was probably 6 feet deep, plus everything had a natural snow cover as well.

Jeff N

I'm an anachronism
Skier
Most likely most of your slopes face North. Slopes above face East/Northeast - not a lot of shade. A week before snow was probably 6 feet deep, plus everything had a natural snow cover as well.

While obviously aspect matters, I think the issue is more exposure. Having a ski area top to bottom on a rolling hill means a lot more sun each day than having a ski area in the mountains where saids mountain block sun for several more hours each day.

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
While obviously aspect matters, I think the issue is more exposure. Having a ski area top to bottom on a rolling hill means a lot more sun each day than having a ski area in the mountains where saids mountain block sun for several more hours each day.

Exactly, since even some of the North facing slopes still get a lot of sun. Couple that with some warm days and some nights when temps don't drop below freezing - snow in the Midwest can take a beating.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Um, no, just no. Really? See, having only skied out west (with the exception of two trips to White Tail, which I quickly decided I'd never waste my money on again) I cannot fathom skiing on that. I get sad just seeing ANY dirt from the lift out here in UT. You really ski the mud and dirt??

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Can be fun skiing from patch to patch.

Dave Petersen

Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I am thankful for ANY snow I can get on.

I have a few pair of skis I use just here at home, but as someone else mentioned, there are no rocks under the snow - just mud and grass/weeds.

I have skied our neighborhood area parks in the past with just a few inches of snow on top of grass.

cropped.jpg

Honestly I think you could ski a nicely manicured park after a heavy frost - just no skidding!

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I am thankful for ANY snow I can get on.

I have a few pair of skis I use just here at home, but as someone else mentioned, there are no rocks under the snow - just mud and grass/weeds.

I have skied our neighborhood area parks in the past with just a few inches of snow on top of grass.

View attachment 5760

Honestly I think you could ski a nicely manicured park after a heavy frost - just no skidding!
Go find a golf course--they won't mind!
So, my husband could have landed a job in DC for at least 50K more than he makes in UT. But, we're in UTAH! Some things money can't buy :)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Don't mind the grass and shrubs. Do mind the rocks in said vegetation.
You were smarter than me, I followed @Alexzn through the shrubberies on the way back to the base.

Sponsor

Staff online