• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

jspsj

Putting on skis
Skier
I am planning on going out West from March with my 8-year-old son to one of the Mountain Collective destinations. We cancelled a planned trip to Taos in January due to lack of snow. Where do y'all think we should go? In particular, any thoughts on Banff vs. Utah?

Some pertinent background:
-- The only Mountain Collective destination I've skied is Sunshine and Lake Louise. I loved it and would be happy to go back. (My son did not ski with me, and he's never seen mountains anything like that!)
-- I'm happy on almost all blacks at the big Vermont mountains I've been to (Stowe, Sugarbush, etc.), even though some of these do feel like a challenge (especially in icy conditions). My son keeps getting better, and he's comfortable on any blue he's skied, even in icy conditions. He's also skied blacks a handful of times and has done well, though usually I try to keep him on comfortable terrain.
-- Both of us skied at Copper last year and had a blast. (That was his only skiing out west, and one of my few times.)
-- In terms of price, Utah and Banff look like the best options for us right now, but Jackson Hole and Revelstoke aren't too bad either.

I gather that Utah hasn't had a great year, but has it recovered enough to make going there a good option for us? Maybe coverage won't matter as much given our collective skill level (mostly blues)? Is Jackson Hole too steep to be worth our while? Is Revelstoke decent for kids?

Any thoughts/recommendations appreciated! Will be purchasing ticket in next couple of days, probably, since prices are good now.

sbooker

Getting on the lift
Skier
Banff would be great but the Cottonwoods should be nice then because they preserve snow so we’ll. I’ve had two powder days after April 1 (in two trips at that time of year) at Altabird. The terrain at Alta and Snowbird is very interesting too.
If something miraculous happens with snow you could even get a day at Snowbasin.

I’ve only been to Jackson once (in early January) and it was great but I learnt enough regarding it’s orientation that I made a mental note not to visit there after February.
If you are going for sun baking however........

TS
jspsj

jspsj

Putting on skis
Skier
Chamonix :duck:

(seriously, if you're ever going to do it, have a think about it now)
Chamonix is a bit out of the budget, if for no other reason than we couldn't get away with going to France without bringing the whole family! One day, I hope...

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
You can't beat Banff in late March - it's still winter here :) and March is one of our snowiest months!

I feel like a broken record with all of this Banff-touting lately...

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm hoping to visit Banff and Revelstoke in late March. I skied Alta/Bird in early Feb and they were fine in subpar conditions, but by all accounts Western Canada is in better shape with a deeper base. However, you've got five or six weeks for things to evolve for better or worse??

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Never been to Banf but I know it is much prettier than Salt Lake City. In both cases you have to drive or bus to get to the ski areas. Jackson Hole can be crusty in March though it is a great destination with plenty of blue skiing.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I'm considering a few days in Banff post-Gathering, but will wait to see how conditions go.
Also looking at Jackson/Sun Valley, Aspen/Telluride, Taos or Squaw/Mammoth as road trip options on my MCP

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
Aspen/Snowmass has received a ton of snow in the last week with more to come. Late March is looking much better.

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Banff

Leave Utah for next trip, when you son is better and the snow condition is (most likely) better.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
I definitely understand the desire to check out a new resort, but if you want to return to Banff, this would be a good year.

Lake Louise already has received 119% of their annual average snowfall, and there's 2.5 months to go!

Coverage is great this year, and you have your pick of terrain.

Snowfall in other years can be pretty low.

You might as well come to Banff while things are much better than normal, and save the southern resorts for when they are having better years.

...unless you can book very last minute. If that's the case, follow the recent snow.

Sponsor