• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

eBike MTBR's Sub 32lb EMTB build

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So in this episode, we modified a Levo SL and did not stop until we arrived at a bike with under 32 lbs with pedals and a dropper post. Mind you, this is a proof of concept project to demonstrate what is achievable today, in 2020 with a lightweight emtb. We rode on three good rides, climbing over 3000 feet each time in about two hours with a single waterbottle battery they call the Range Extender. With a couple extra batteries in our pack, we could go on some big, interesting rides.

We did go light with the tires and lack of remotes but the ride was not compromised for the existing Norcal trail conditions. Of course we could have gone much lighter with no dropper post, ti pedals, single piston brakes, ultralight suspension fork. But we’re happy with how the project turned out as it showcases what is possible today with current technology.

Full article here:

A lot of what they said really makes sense. All the rage is for bigger batteries and longer range but, in my cases most of my rides used 25-40% of my battery, so why would I want to carry around so much extra weight. I like the analogy, if you are going for a 1 hour ride, why woudl you canrry 3 gallons of water? With the water bottle batteries, take as much power as you need. I don't think you need to take the dropper control off or the controls for the assist but this was an exersize is weight loss. It sounds like 35lb will give you a fully functioning EMTB that can still perform like a regular bike w/o battery if you want.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
How does the extra weight hurt you? You have a motor to push it up the hill.

E-bike weight is a very interesting topic. When shopping for an e-mtb for Mrs. K., we REALLY wanted to find something light, with lower power. She only weighs a buck twenty on a bad day, for gosh sakes.

But, unlike in the e-road bike arena, nothing was to be had. So we just bought her a Liv Intrigue that weighs nearly 50 pounds. Like @Philpug, she seldom uses over half her battery on 3 hour rides, and almost never uses more than the third of five assist modes. So....overkill, for her, at least.

Surprisingly, she loves the weight on rough downhills. Feels "planted". Everywhere else, the weight is a negative.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
E-bike weight is a very interesting topic. When shopping for an e-mtb for Mrs. K., we REALLY wanted to find something light, with lower power. She only weighs a buck twenty on a bad day, for gosh sakes.

But, unlike in the e-road bike arena, nothing was to be had. So we just bought her a Liv Intrigue that weighs nearly 50 pounds. Like @Philpug, she seldom uses over half her battery on 3 hour rides, and almost never uses more than the third of five assist modes. So....overkill, for her, at least.

Surprisingly, she loves the weight on rough downhills. Feels "planted". Everywhere else, the weight is a negative.
Funny, this is a conversation I have had with quite a few EMTB'ers..I want light weight...they ask the question...why, what are you really going to gain? The question made me take a step back and even ask myself the same question. To your point, I like the planted feeling of the Habit Neo. I then come to relate these FS EMTBs to a modern SUV...we have the immense power, 500+HP in some cases, 0-60 times in the sub 4 second range and a curb weight well over 2.5 tons...and they take the backroads like a sports car. What's not to like?

Today it was 96* when I left the house at noon, humidity in the double digits and smoke in the air from a neaby fire...I still went out for a bit over an hour and enjoyed myself...I came back sweat soaked and even a few pounds down so I did get a work out and wasn't cheated. I road right from my house, so I didn't shuttle and cheat that way and the only other bike I saw out there was another EMTB.

Again back to @Tom K. yes, in some cases they can be overkill but unlike regular MTB builds, there is just not the options in these EMTB's...yet. I imagine it will come but still ways out.,,since bike manufacturers are doing what they can jsut to keep up with demand.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

I've been saying this for years about "regular" MTBs, and see no reason it wouldn't be true for ebikes. When I weighed in the high 120s a 30lb bike was almost 25% of my weight. If you are a 180lb guy, imagine riding a bike that's 25% of your weight - 45lbs. If you think the difference in feel is quibbling, you're not being honest with yourself.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I once had a lengthy discussion with someone about the differences between a modern Nissan GT-R and a Cayman GT-4. If all you're doing is looking at the 0-60 and the skidpad numbers..well..

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've been saying this for years about "regular" MTBs, and see no reason it wouldn't be true for ebikes. When I weighed in the high 120s a 30lb bike was almost 25% of my weight. If you are a 180lb guy, imagine riding a bike that's 25% of your weight - 45lbs. If you think the difference in feel is quibbling, you're not being honest with yourself.
Yes, there is a difference in the feel for sure, at 185 (or when I was at almost 210) my 28lb Trigger feels different than the 48lb Habit Neo. I can get to make that comparison, you at at "A buck 20 something" cannot find a mountain bike that is much less 25% of your weight...without remortgaging your house. I guess a better comparison is in skiing, a full bore SL w/ a 15 or 18DIN binding and plate, verses say a DPS Alchemist constructed ski with a Pivot 12. With the SL, you are willing to give up the nimbleness of the DPS for the solid planted feel of the SL. I guess I could have also used one of the wider carvers that are in that upper 70mm range as comparison, Head Titan, Nordica Dobie RB ect.

craigsj

Booting up
Skier
Something that is often overlooked is that current batteries have peak and average power limitations proportional to their weight and this has a significant impact on the discussion. The reason you may not want a small, light battery is that it may be too limiting on your power requirements during the ride and usage may cause early life failures. All (non-DIY) Ebike batteries should be used at no faster than a 2 hour depletion rate, so if your idea is just enough battery for a 1 hour ride, as may be the case in the Levo SL in this thread, then there are better solutions from a reliability, longevity and safety standpoint.