• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MTB Virginia?

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Looking for some recommendations. I'm heading to southern Virginia (Martinsville area) for work next week, for a couple weeks. Looking like I'm going to have a weekend or two to kill while there.

Anybody have any recommendations in VA/WV/NC? I'm willing to travel a few hours from where I'm staying if the trails are worth it. Any "destination" mtb towns in the mid-Atlantic? Also interested in any lift-access riding.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Massanutten is supposed to be good. How far is Knoxville from where you are going?

TS
Lauren

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
How far is Knoxville from where you are going?

Looks like just over 4 hours...long day trip but doable. Or I could potentially stay out there for a night. Knoxville a good place to look into?

I'll look into Massanutten as well.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I think if I was within 4 hrs of Knoxville I'd go check it out for sure.

TS
Lauren

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@Crank - I'll definitely check out mtbr forums. I sometimes get overwhelmed by the million sub-forums there (Thanks Pugski for not doing that here :). But definitely a valuable resource. I've been looking through mtbproject for information, and I've been finding I want to ride EVERYTHING. Ha!

TS
Lauren

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I think if I was within 4 hrs of Knoxville I'd go check it out for sure.

After a quick search...it looks pretty awesome. Plus looks like a pretty sweet little city. It's going pretty high on the list at this point.

Flying Squirrel

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
You are so very close to mountain bike heaven. Roanoke is a great little town just 50 minutes north of Martinsville. Nice foodie and craft beer scene if you're interested. Google Carvins Cove, which is just outside town and Douthat State Park which is 45 minutes north. Carvins is 38 miles of single track for all levels in a beautiful area and Douthat is a mountain bikers Disneyland. In Roanoke stop at East Coasters Bike Shop and Just the Right Gear, on the way to Carvins Cove, for terrific local advice and perhaps some folks to ride with if you wish.

If you want lift served riding, Snowshoe Mountain is the place to go. The National Mountain Bike Championships are being held there through this weekend. It is about 3.5 hours from where you are.

PS There are some very speedy mountain bikers from Martinsville so I know there are trails there. You'll need to dig. Also, take a few minutes and drive our to Philpott Reservoir and Fairystone State Park just outside Martinsville. Have fun!

TS
Lauren

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@Flying Squirrel - Thanks!

It sounds like there's so much in the area. I was considering heading up to Harrisonburg or out toward Knoxville, but looks like I need to do a bit more research closer as well. Roanoke sounds great...food + beer, right up my alley. Any advice on possible shops to demo/rent from? I decided on flying down cause I could get a direct flight from Boston instead of trekking 12 hours by car. My co-worker is driving, so there's a good chance my bike can get a lift down, but if I can avoid that and just rent for a day or two, it would be preferable.

Also, take a few minutes and drive our to Philpott Reservoir and Fairystone State Park just outside Martinsville. Have fun!
I'm actually working at the Philpott Hydro Station, so I'll be well acquainted with the reservoir. I'll look into the State Park as well!

Flying Squirrel

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
@elemmac-Harrisonburg is a great area to road ride and the mountain biking is terrific BUT it is very rocky and not as developed as the areas around Roanoke. It's an area that's nice to have a friend. If you wind up headed there check in with Rocktown Bikes (appropriate name) or Shenandoah Bicycle Company. Great shops that are happy to share all they know about cycling in the area.

Both Carvins and Douthat are well developed & marked trail systems and a lot of fun for all levels. You CAN ride all the trails in either area in a weekend but you will sleep very well. Just the Right Gear has demos from Santa Cruz, Pivot and a few others. East Coasters may have Trek demos. Snowshoe also has demo bikes. most are gravity bikes and they also have all the safety gear to go with them.

Knoxville is a great town. I was just there for US Pro Road Nats but no comparison to Virginia for mountain biking.......sorry Knoxville friends. If you are going to drive that far, head toward Asheville, and check out Pisgah and Dupont Forrest. Fabulous area for epic long rides however I always take a friend there. You go down in Pisgah and it is a longgggggggggg way out.

Hope this helps. You really can't go wrong. Have fun!

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January