• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MTB Vacation, Where In October Or November

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We are thinking about skipping summer vacation this year and taking a week sometime around mid October - mid November.

About us: Ages: 60 and mid 50's (me being the 60).

Skill level: I am an intermediate rider and Robin is lower intermediate. We like some challenge but nothing super technical.

Fitness wise I would put us at reasonably fit, but think weekend warrior rather than dedicated athlete. For example our road rides are usually in the 20-30 mile range and our mtb rides in the 7-10 mile range. The MTB distances go up from there if the riding is easier. Longest mtb ride ever for us was about 22 miles.

We are thinking about Moab, or possibly a combo of Moab and Fruita.

We are also wondering about guided mtb vacations vs doing it on our own.

Would appreciate any information and opinions from those in the know.

Thanks.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
The earlier you go the better. Mid November can be amazing weather wise but its that time of year where even at lower elevations it can get chilly also it can rain quite a bit. I love riding in September and October in Colorado. (Havent been to Utah yet!)

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Fruita, Grand Junction and Moab are a great combo. October is great, November you may get snowed out of some of the higher altitude rides, but there will still be PLENTY of trails to keep you happy for a week. I've been there a bunch, but never with real guided tour. We did coordinate a few times with the now defunct Moab Fat Tire festival for some rides.

You could try to check out this year's Outerbike in Moab.

Reactions: Ron

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Here are a couple of unlikely candidates where I mountain biked in the 90s and loved it:

Brown County Indiana
Iron Range, Minnesota
You'd definitely want to go for Oct or even late september.

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
Rent bike or bring your own?

You didn't say what turns you on wrt mountain biking...

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
18 road in Fruita is amazeballs. The nice thing about its you can basically do 3-5 miles laps and choose how much you want to do.

TS
Crank

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Rent bikes. We love flowy stuff. (who doesn't?) Don't mind some tech, but don't want to beat ourselves up. Exposure doesn't bother. From what little western riding I have done it seems like we have more rocky/rooty trails near home. Though I know there are plenty of rocky, technical trails around Moab, I have only ridden on 1.

I think we have a week blocked out October 14-21.

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
For Oct 14-21, Fruita + Moab sounds like the ticket (I've only done southern Utah so no personal experience. But from what other said, it sounds like your kind of riding)

But if you end up in November, I'd add California to the list. It'll probably be warmer than Utah. And there're a lot of easy, flowy stuff all over the place.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Moab would be amazing. If you are thinking of leaving the US, there are other amazing options too. Maybe Finale Ligure.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
18 road in Fruita is amazeballs. The nice thing about its you can basically do 3-5 miles laps and choose how much you want to do.

Absolutely. You can park at the main trailhead, and do loops to your heart's content. NOBODY minds riding Kessel Run twice. Have lunch. Ride a bonus loop.

The next day, you can tackle a few of the easier Kokopelli Loops, provided walking a few sections doesn't bum you out.

So I'd echo everybody else and split the trip between Moab and Fruita. Start in Fruita, and "graduate" to the Moab Brands Trails next. If you go in mid-October, Moab is not crowded, and lodging cost plummets.

First Alternate: Bend Oregon. My wife is a strong rider with intermediate technical skills and desire. We are exactly your age. Bend is her absolute favorite mtb place. It is the rare combination of trails that are both easy AND fun.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The thing that's so amazing about Moab, is you can tour those pesky, boring national parks that are right there, too ;) Which, in fall, should be nice and quiet and stunningly gorgeous! I cannot WAIT to get back down there again in the fall.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'll jump on the Moab bandwagon. We close out summer by riding White Rim. Not sure if you saw the pics I posted on Epic from last Sep. Just a nice stretch your legs out ride. We make it a 2 day trip camping one night. That part is getting to be more of pain. Sometimes you have to be flexible with your dates to get a campsite or even access. If you are looking for flowy type stuff then I think you would like Dead Horse State Park. You may want to go over to Singletracks and research what they have listed.

One other place I love for some nice autumn, leaf peeping, not highly technical riding is Telluride. Your dates will be too late for this but it is not bad. If you are roadies then I can't recommend SW Colorado highly enough. Absolutely awesome riding.

TS
Crank

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks for all the replies. Leaning strongly towards the Fruita, Moab combo. I have been to Moab a few times on work trips. While there I did a bit of biking and 4-wheeling and also rented quads for a day many years ago. Did a 20 mile mostly double track ride down to Moab from Lasalle in a snow and rain storm with Hans Rey! That was in the early days of disc brakes and I had a rental with discs...was the only one on that ride with working brakes!

TS
Crank

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Update:

We were not sure we could take the time off and it turns out we can! We decided not to fly and rent a car and bikes. Instead, we just booked 4 nights at an inn on darling Hill which backs up right onto Kingdom Trails in East Burke, VT, and a couple of night in Stowe. Combining this with a trip to our friends annual cider pressing party in Sunape, NH . Gond October 1-8. Hoping for some great foliage !!! We will not ride every day, but will do some hiking and driving around as well.

If anyone wants to ride KT we will be there... probably do a day of lift served at Burke Mtn. as well.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Will you be in Stowe on Oct 8th? That is one Stowe Mountain Bike Club does it's annual big group ride. You can ride all of the stuff that is not on the map.

TS
Crank

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
No we will be in Sunape then.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Update:

We were not sure we could take the time off and it turns out we can! We decided not to fly and rent a car and bikes. Instead, we just booked 4 nights at an inn on darling Hill which backs up right onto Kingdom Trails in East Burke, VT, and a couple of night in Stowe. Combining this with a trip to our friends annual cider pressing party in Sunape, NH . Gond October 1-8. Hoping for some great foliage !!! We will not ride every day, but will do some hiking and driving around as well.

If anyone wants to ride KT we will be there... probably do a day of lift served at Burke Mtn. as well.

I've always wanted to ride the Kingdom Trails. Please report back, and have a blast!

Sponsor