• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MTB Project vs Trail Forks vs. ?

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I feel the same but as far as I know around here most open space is open to drones. More disconcerting to me is google or others stopping in front of my house to take a picture. With kids in the house and the Amazon subcontractors pulling into the driveway to deliver boxes I have reminded them to never open the door for any strangers.

I guess I just don't see these things as being related. If a drone is flying over me while I'm out alone using a trail which may or may not be heavily used by others It would be downright scary because I don't know what they are doing there. At least at home I can lock doors and not open them to unexpected guests.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I guess I just don't see these things as being related. If a drone is flying over me while I'm out alone using a trail which may or may not be heavily used by others It would be downright scary because I don't know what they are doing there. At least at home I can lock doors and not open them to unexpected guests.
Or get the over/under...

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
Thanks all. Had a nutty week but back in here now.

@Tony S I totally hear you on intersections. Our iOS engineer is actually playing with some AR stuff that might help in that regard but honestly it's going to be a while until anything like that lands in the apps. There are a few trail systems out here where the intersections can be really disorienting as well and it's true, the apps are only so much help in those scenarios. It often takes a few false starts to know you're on the right trail. I wonder if we could do something with the phone's compass to clear that kind of thing up...

@Wilhelmson Any chance you can give me an actual link to that trail system from the map you posted?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I was responding first to your statement that the map creators know there is a rogue trail but also to your request for a confirmation of being on the right trail.

Late response to your question.

First, of course the landscape of trails is constantly changing and even dynamic / crowdsourced maps are always at least a little behind the latest state of things. I'm not looking for the nth degree of accuracy, just fantasizing about enhancements to the 80%.

Second, the phenomenon I'm bitching about is much mitigated by good trail network design, dedicated to riding. (Crossing spaghetti strands are frowned upon, and uninterrupted loops are a goal.) So if you're lucky enough to have such trails local to where you are, the topic isn't pressing.

Third, I have a bit of a singular perspective on this because my S.O. makes MTB maps. She actually does go out and ride 99% of the trails she depicts. One of her original design goals was to show short stubs of the "wrong" trails, which are legion in our suburban area. Unfortunately the many land trusts and other open space stewards almost uniformly insisted that she NOT do that. They are deathly afraid of landowners squawking about "encouraging people to use illicit trails," even when DIScouraging accidental use of said trails is precisely the point. In fact in certain cases they don't want her including trails that the trusts' own literature indicates are open for riding. The reason? "We don't wasn't to advertise that too much." Personally I find this attitude unfathomable in an age when the world desperately needs more people experiencing the outdoors first hand, while it still exists. But again it's all about walking on eggshells with landowners and abutters.

Anyway, bottom line, my simple point is that when you're out there on the ground at an intersection, having a map that shows a two-tined fork when you're looking at a three-tined one is, yes, better than useless, but nowhere near as good as one that shows all three trails.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@Wilhelmson Any chance you can give me an actual link to that trail system from the map you posted?

What's really weird is that the Willowdale trails Wilhelmson referenced are the very ones where I was riding for the first time and wishing for better mappage! Total coincidence. (I asked.)

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I used ondago last week and it was ok. The mapping was specific to that area and app so it worked. Dunno how much mapping they have in general.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Late response to your question.

First, of course the landscape of trails is constantly changing and even dynamic / crowdsourced maps are always at least a little behind the latest state of things. I'm not looking for the nth degree of accuracy, just fantasizing about enhancements to the 80%.

Second, the phenomenon I'm bitching about is much mitigated by good trail network design, dedicated to riding. (Crossing spaghetti strands are frowned upon, and uninterrupted loops are a goal.) So if you're lucky enough to have such trails local to where you are, the topic isn't pressing.

Third, I have a bit of a singular perspective on this because my S.O. makes MTB maps. She actually does go out and ride 99% of the trails she depicts. One of her original design goals was to show short stubs of the "wrong" trails, which are legion in our suburban area. Unfortunately the many land trusts and other open space stewards almost uniformly insisted that she NOT do that. They are deathly afraid of landowners squawking about "encouraging people to use illicit trails," even when DIScouraging accidental use of said trails is precisely the point. In fact in certain cases they don't want her including trails that the trusts' own literature indicates are open for riding. The reason? "We don't wasn't to advertise that too much." Personally I find this attitude unfathomable in an age when the world desperately needs more people experiencing the outdoors first hand, while it still exists. But again it's all about walking on eggshells with landowners and abutters.

Anyway, bottom line, my simple point is that when you're out there on the ground at an intersection, having a map that shows a two-tined fork when you're looking at a three-tined one is, yes, better than useless, but nowhere near as good as one that shows all three trails.

HAHAHA

We have local trail network that is literally spaggetti on purpose to ensure that MTBproject and or any GPS device can not actually map the trail network at that first time riders with out guide will have an awful time.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1375078622/segments/34118972059

I honestly feel its the best riding in the whole state from a trail enjoyment stand point, if you expect your trails to go somewhere and or not cross other trails you would hate it.

IMO the trail network has done its job, tons of dedicated uses use it, but many tourist avoid it. Mean that the trail tend to never be chewed up and alway good loamy dirt and none of that hardpack stuff that is awful to ride on.

With that said there is very little chance of said networking getting shut down.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I have looked at both Trailforks & MTBproject but don't really use them except to find new trails in areas I am not familiar with. Trying to use or follow a map on my phone while riding ends up being a major frustration.
What would work for me would be something with audio like google maps or whatever you use in your car. "Prepare to take left fork in 100 ft." Something you could map out & program ahead of time & then get directions on your headphones while riding.
Maybe this already exists?

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Following up on this. I have found that Alltrails has better networks of trails mapped out than other apps.