• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Got a full face helmet (in this thread). Now, while getting psyched watching youtube videos for the coming riding season, I realized I don't yet have knee pads. Further more, I don't know squat about pads.

What's you favorite and why? What were your considerations when you purchased? Light weight, full protection, quick drying, slim - easy to store, other considerations?

Just in case it might be important, Where do you ride?

I'm riding Norcal and Tahoe. It's generally dry and arid. I'm starting to venture out on blue/black trails, and protection is probably recommended.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I use G-form elbow & shin guards. Super light & compact. They also make knee guards. Pretty minimal but better than nothing.

Reasons...
Most of the above. Light weight, easy to store, quick dry. I cut easily so I think I got them originally less for impact & more for shinning & forearming sticker bushes & other obstacles that are prevalent on a lot of trails that I ride.

I ride Tahoe, Utah & occasionally Santa Cruz.

3A6B52A2-EA74-41A4-9C91-2F892E34C708.jpeg

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There are SO many good, lightweight pads out there these days, but the fit and feel is super-personal. For example, @4ster loves his G-forms, and I've got a set that I've used twice because I hate them.

Google around, and you'll find lots of comparison reviews. Pick a few candidates based on those articles, then go try them on.

https://enduro-mtb.com/en/the-best-mtb-knee-pads-you-can-buy/

https://www.mbr.co.uk/news/best-mountain-bike-knee-pads-360439

https://singletrackworld.com/2017/07/14-knee-pads-tested-reviewed/

https://www.vitalmtb.com/features/13-of-the-Best-Light-Weight-Kneepads-Vital-MTB-Roundup,2364

My personal favorites are some older Kali pads. They are really comfortable, pedal well, and provide darn good protection, but they are a bit warm. The Troy Lee sleeve-style pads are minimilast, with decent light protection, but also a bit warm. I've always thought the Alpinestars and Dainese pads were worth a look, but never had the opportunity to try them on.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
You really need to try some sets on to see which you prefer. I’m using a set of Endura’s when needed. Just make sure they fit well with your shorts/shirts it’s gets annoying when the pad catches on the lower section if shorts/shirts.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I'm a fan of Dainese, can been using it for years. Right now I have knees from Dainese, POC and 661. I use Danes the most, I use POC for lift-served DH when I want to get after it. There are so many different levels of protection from G-Form (I don't really want to wear knee pads, but these make me feel safer) to the POC Bones (This is less awkward than wearing catcher's equipment).

This new Dainese is more beefy than the ones I have, but looks like real protection that you can pedal in. https://www.pinkbike.com/news/review-2019-dainese-enduro-knee-guards-updated.html

Last edited:

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Get them for protection, weight matters less when you fall.

And full shin and forearms.

TS
Plai

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi All,
Finally taking a closer look through the material you've kindly provided and .... I think I need to visit the LBS.
Sizing and fit seem to be an issue that can't be solved, because I don't have a good reference point.

That said, the Dainese Trail Skins 2 have peculated to the top for me.

@4ster In your pictures in comment #2, you've got shin and elbow protection, but not knee. Oversight or intentional? If intentional, please share your reasoning.

TS
Plai

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi All,
Finally taking a closer look through the material you've kindly provided and .... I think I need to visit the LBS.
Sizing and fit seem to be an issue that can't be solved, because I don't have a good reference point.

That said, the Dainese Trail Skins 2 have peculated to the top for me.

@4ster In your pictures in comment #2, you've got shin and elbow protection, but not knee. Oversight or intentional? If intentional, please share your reasoning.

@Rod9301 and cross posted at near the same time.
And full shin and forearms.

He's echoing @4ster picture.

Thanks for the course correction guys. Elbows and shins.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
2, you've got shin and elbow protection, but not knee. Oversight or intentional? If intentional, please share your reasoning.
I went years without pads at all. There are some rides where I will ocassionally where my old roller blade knee pads.
The reason I don’t wear them regularly is that I would consider myself primarily a XC ride. Knees need to breath like your wrist, head or the back of the neck when it is warm. It’s about temperature regulation.

WadeHoliday

Out on the slopes
SkiTalk Tester
HI Paul,

I use old mcDavid volleyball knee pads, have for many many years. I also used to sew them into pearl izumi knee warmers for winter, before the knee pad movement kicked in. I am a Med, but use XL pads as they don't constrict when riding but stay in place just fine.

I don't use elbows or shins, I can have a great ride, never crash and can still use my knee pads as they protect against top tube hits when moving the bike around. Only time I wear elbows or my heavier pads is at race pace a place like downieville or Northstar.

most of the knee pads you see are way overkill for what you'll use them for, so keep that in mind. Many companies are now realizing that and making more xc style pads, but I still like my basic mcdavids best.

Cheers!
W