• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MTB full face helmets

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, another helmet thread.

As luck would have it, went riding this last weekend and at the beginning of the ride, my buddies made sure to point out their full face head cans. And just to punctuate the experience, I biffed 3 times that ride. No injuries other than a few elbow and knee scratches. My ego already has enough scars that biffs don't hurt it any more. My confidence is another story....

Sooooo... Let's talk about full face helmets here. If you have one, which one, why do you like/hate it? Would you get it again? If not, what are you considering?

[And yes, I've seen the two MTB helmet threads focused on "cool"/ventilation.]

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I will say, the new generation of full face options are very good...and extremely light (for what they are). Personally I am not sure I could deal with the confinement and as good as they can ventilate, they are still pretty warm.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I use the Fox Rampage Pro Carbon. It's not cheap, but it fits great and I like the lightness of the carbon compared to the cheaper versions. Newer ones have MIPS. I figure that if you price out MRIs, the good full face helmets are pretty cheap in comparison.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Are you talking about DH riding or riding up and downhill?
For the former, absolutely full face, why not?
I am currently using the Bell Super DH. Why:: I travel to bike sometimes, not having to bring 2 helmets is good. I also have a area in town with short “free ride”trails, steep, rocks, and air. Full face very useful. But you ride into the park on Xc trails, and ride up to the top after each lap on XC trails too, so a regular helmet is also needed. Unlike the “regular” Super, it fully DH rated.
It also has a nice internal slip plane system, and a softer foam on the inside. Both of those *might* help reduce concussions and similar low speed injury.
It also fit me better than the regular Super.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I use the Fox Rampage Pro Carbon. It's not cheap, but it fits great and I like the lightness of the carbon compared to the cheaper versions. Newer ones have MIPS.

I use one of these as well. Love it.

Important to remember you can swap out the face pads on many full face helmets. I use a medium helmet, with the thickest pads they make for it.

TS
Plai

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, I went with the Bell Super 3R MIPS about a month ago. My use case is mostly trail riding (suffering the climbs to enjoy the downhills) with the occasional small (2-3ft) jump and steep rock garden thrown in. I'm going particularly fast since I'm relatively new to the sport, but would like full face protection. I've face planted in soft dust/dirt and that opened my eyes. So, I'm not looking for an aggressive/overly protective helmet, but something that will take the worst of a slower uncontrolled fall.

Here's a video that helped make up my mind...

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
So, I went with the Bell Super 3R MIPS about a month ago. My use case is mostly trail riding (suffering the climbs to enjoy the downhills) with the occasional small (2-3ft) jump and steep rock garden thrown in. I'm going particularly fast since I'm relatively new to the sport, but would like full face protection. I've face planted in soft dust/dirt and that opened my eyes. So, I'm not looking for an aggressive/overly protective helmet, but something that will take the worst of a slower uncontrolled fall.

You chose well for your application, IMO. Have fun!

Sponsor