• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MTB Baggies for Short Skinny People

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Okay, now that it's deep discount time - shorts are something I generally don't want to buy used :eek: - I'm going to bite the bullet and get a pair or two of baggy shorts. SO few people are riding lycra in the woods now, I'm starting to feel like an out-of-touch geezer. (I may actually BE an out-of-touch geezer, but I don't have to advertise it.) But here's the main reason I haven't gone to baggies, after having tried them a dozen years ago and hated the way the wide leg openings - now thankfully gone, it appears - always caught on the back of the seat after a steep butt-behind-the-saddle drop. (A bit moot anyway now, with dropper posts on most bikes.) The main reason ... right. Back on track.

The main reason is that they tend to make me look even shorter and smaller than I already am. Shorts that are supposed to come to the knees - which already seems ridiculous to a guy who grew up with shorts that were actually shorts - come halfway down my shins. Plus they're so baggy around the butt. In brief, they make me look like I'm about nine, wearing my dad's shorts. So does anyone have a recommendation for baggies that are shorter and skinnier than the average? Looking for something that is lightweight with an included liner. Thanks in advance!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Pearl Izumi has some called Summits that are much trimmer in fit than most. Cheap at REI.

I will actually (occasionally) wear them, and I'm another out of touch lycra geezer.

Baggies just seem to keep me warm and damp in places that are better kept as dry as possible!

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
If the only reason is they look odd don't change. Lycra is the best. Having said that I do buy zoic shorts from time to time. I'm short and fat so my experience may not translate but I do love their shorts.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
But I did get a nice pair of shorts ... Stand by ...

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
FullSizeRender-2-03.jpeg
Bit dark and blurry, I guess. But also note the 2015 Gathering shirt courtesy of @Gary Stolt. :)

Last edited:
TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Is that Vermin Supreme? Looks like there's a boot on your head.

LOL. Had to Google Vermin Supreme. Just got lazy with shaving. Dim light and slow shutter speed - or whatever they call it now - makes the light-on-helmet look weird.