• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Has anyone skied at Mt. Lemmon Ski Valley? My mom lives in Tucson and it would be cool to ski at the southern-most ski area in the US. The way it sounds is, if there is enough snow to ski on the road is closed and by the time it gets plowed the snow on the hill has melted!

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
They've had a rough couple seasons up there the last few years but they do usually get open for skiing for at least a few days per season. They don't have any snow making. A few years ago they had a 40" base at Christmas due to some freak storms and I almost went down to ski but didn't and I highly regret it. The road is usually closed right after a storm until they get it cleared which can be a day or two.

clong83

Stauffenberg!
Skier
Has anyone skied at Mt. Lemmon Ski Valley? My mom lives in Tucson and it would be cool to ski at the southern-most ski area in the US. The way it sounds is, if there is enough snow to ski on the road is closed and by the time it gets plowed the snow on the hill has melted!
I lived in Tucson for a time. I usually skied at Snowbowl or Sunrise because conditions are usually much better at either one of those places. Mt. Lemmon is not a place I would go out of my way to get to, but it definitely should not be ignored if you are a local.

If a big storm is anticipated, it is best to go up there and camp out and weather the storm. I never did that myself, but as others have said, when a big storm comes in, the road can get closed for a day or two.

There is actually decent snow retention up there, though, so it doesn't melt the next day (usually). They plow the road, and you can go in a day or two. It's all north-facing, and the runs are kind of narrow and don't get much sunlight. I only skied there a few times in total, and it has all been a very long time ago, so someone can correct my memory if I am off-base. As I recall, a typical random winter day is icy and full of hazards. Much like spring skiing in most other locales. But it can be a fun and uncrowded place when it randomly gets hit. Doesn't happen every year, but it shouldn't be skipped if it does. Probably don't bring your super nice skis, it's definitely a rock-ski kind of place.

clong83

Stauffenberg!
Skier
Further:
If you do go, and especially if it is a random kind of icy day where it hasn't snowed in a while, you can fully expect people to watch and gawk at you from the parking lot. Skiing is a weird novelty down there, and even the locals that go up to build a snowman or sled a bit with their kids will be fascinated by these strange folks on waxed sticks careening around the mountain. It's not a big place, but the novelty of it is kind of fun even on an icy day. It is also dirt cheap (or at least used to be something like $30/day), and well worth doing once to say you did it.