• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MR95 Grand Touring build - 5 days of discovery

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Early in the summer building season I asked @mishka to think about a lightweight all-rounder, using his classic MR95 shape but with focus on weight and edge feel.

The first MR95 has been reviewed in other threads. I actually liked that pair, and I skied it for a week at the Whistler gathering. They did everything, and they did it like edgy little tanks. The words crud buster is thrown about but few skis could simply smash through at the level of those first MR95. And, in their forceful way they hooked up quick and held edge in anything, including frozen Wawa and skied out Blackcomb hardpack.

I have a confession to make - I thought that was the best pair he would ever make.

Then I got on these.

Wow.

I skied these fresh off a flat grind on early season snow at Stratton (that is right, 90 degree 0 bevel) .and they immediately felt more controlled than that old pair. Controlled and ...
supple.

Did I get a touring ski? No. I got an all-round survival ski that can smash through underbrush, over rocks and be used to decapitate zombies afterwards. All that with a weight just over touring only skis, all that sturdy enough to hold my weight on night skiing ice, all that with a supple flex.

I got more than I expected, much more. I apologise to all those waiting for me to review other skis, I just haven't wanted to, you know?

IMG_20190120_161403.jpg
IMG_20190120_133511.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
What size, and what are the dimensions/sidecut?

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

184cm, the 95 refers to the design waist size, and I was requested to not post dimensions other than ~17m effective radius.

I will say that on this build the effective radius can be modulated a lot easier than on the original. The effective shape is somewhere in between a Dynastar Cham (1st gen) and a Skilogic Ullr's Chariot, except narrower.

mishka

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider

each pair skis design and build around person specific needs. Where dimensions/sidecut only small part of it. Simple comparison of dimensions to other products will not work. this why no information disclosed in public. At the same time every little detail of design and build process discussed with person who getting skis

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online