• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mid-Atlantic Moving to North Carolina, school me on the resorts in the area

Fonzy

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I am moving to Charlote, NC, I have 2 kids 7 and 11 and I would like to have them join a local race team. I have read a lot about Sugar, Beech, Appalatian, Cataloochee Winterplace and Snowshoe. Did I miss any better option? I could not figure out the differences. I think local knowledge will help a lot. Do all the mountains have their own ski team? is one better than the other?

David Orr

Getting off the lift
Skier
I am moving to Charlote, NC, I have 2 kids 7 and 11 and I would like to have them join a local race team. I have read a lot about Sugar, Beech, Appalatian, Cataloochee Winterplace and Snowshoe. Did I miss any better option? I could not figure out the differences. I think local knowledge will help a lot. Do all the mountains have their own ski team? is one better than the other?
Sugar Mountain Race Team...racing is a priority at Sugar.

1) Junior Race Program
2) Nastar
3) Beer League
4) Crescent Ski Council Racing
5) Masters USSA Racing
6) College Racing

Remember this is NC long season variable conditions...not VT, CO, UT, WY

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Fonzy, welcome - CLT here as well - look forward to meeting y'all sometime and skiing or other mtn sports. WNC is a Shangri-La for Mountain Biking if you are also into that - Pisgah National Forest around Brevard being the epicentre.

We have this thread for 2021-22 season that is chock full of great NC resort beta - be sure to check this out: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/2021-2022-mid-atlantic-ski-resorts-conditions-meetups.24505/

Glad to have more of us here on Skitalk!

RE: Ski team - we did Sugar one year w/ my son and as others mention door to door it was 2.5 sometimes 2.25 (I could get there in 2h15 if we smoked it) which does become a burden over time. Practice starts at 8 AM sharp "on the fence" at Sugar. They're flexible though and pretty laid back even though they do emphasize Ski racing. It was a great experience for us, yet one we didn't repeat. Wasn't a 'take' for him - he's a great skier now at 12 yo - does wrestling and football. If we lived up there, might have tried more seasons, dunno.

I have a thread on that experience somewhere here, was the 19-20 season I think before the crazy times kicked in.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Basics - the big* three are around Blowing Rock/Banner Elk/Boone area and they are

Appalachian Ski Mountain - classic, small, closest to CLT by car - a great ski school, family atmosphere, IMHO best snowmaking, mainly because they're small.
Sugar Mountain Resort - next closest, Banner Elk, best terrain in the SouthEast in mine and other's opinions, Gunther's Way being a great run named after the still active owner. Can get grossly overcrowded, avoid on Holiday Weekends. Some good slopeside condos, accommodations to be had.
Beech Mtn - claims highest altitude at uhhh 540-something - good territory, we don't go there as much so hard to speak to very recent quality but draws similar crowds to Sugar sometimes. Definitely worth checking out.

Cataloochee - Wolf Ridge - small, and sadly I've never been to those. Keep meaning to.

Great additional online resource for here: https://www.skisoutheast.com/

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Can you imagine how much snowmaking infrastructure they'd need to keep more than 100 skiable acres covered in NC climate?
A lot. I guess the point was its a lot of driving for 800' vertical strip through the trees from CLT vs driving that same time from CT to Okemo. The juice isnt worth the squeeze on the regular.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
A lot. I guess the point was its a lot of driving for 800' vertical strip through the trees from CLT vs driving that same time from CT to Okemo. The juice isnt worth the squeeze on the regular.
Agreed, but it's where we live. I went many years of not skiing in the SE and would make trips out west or to Vermont. But in the end I've come to realize that skiing is fun even if only on a few hundred feet vertical.

@Fonzy welcome to NC!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Agreed, but it's where we live. I went many years of not skiing in the SE and would make trips out west or to Vermont. But in the end I've come to realize that skiing is fun even if only on a few hundred feet vertical.

@Fonzy welcome to NC!
+1. I'd drive three hours to and from to ski Cloudmont 3-4 times a season of that was the closest option I could afford.

I guess the point was its a lot of driving for 800' vertical strip through the trees from CLT vs driving that same time from CT to Okemo. The juice isnt worth the squeeze on the regular.

And for the record, Sugar's closer to a full 1K of vert. There's also Wintergreen nearby at nearly 1200. Beats the hell out of everything Midwest. I'd ski there too on the regular if that was home..

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Read the OP people. I ski up there on occasion. We are talking every week for ski team. not "on occasion." - which is 5 hours rtp when things "go right".

That's why we are all different.

Jay Marcoux

I ski and I know things.
Skier
I am a ski coach at Appalachian (2nd season, I am there most Saturdays), and coach a group of the junior race training program. I also live just outside Charlotte. I take my 14 yo daughter up to App on occasion. If I were managing race team with two kids, I would lean towards App since I'm clearly familiar with it - I can make it to the mountain in just over two hours.

Sugar has the most vertical drop. I really like Beech for its vibe, with the bar at the top of the mountain, etc. I've been to Cataloochee as well, and would teach there if I lived closer. I haven't been to Wolf Ridge.

I used to live in CT, and this is my third year living in NC. For pleasure trips *anywhere* at any of these areas, I avoid weekends and holidays when I can.

Charlotte has the Charlotte Ski and Snowboard Club. I am a member, and am joining them on one of their western trips this year (Schweitzer). Feel free to reach out with any questions. :)

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Read the OP people. I ski up there on occasion. We are talking every week for ski team. not "on occasion." - which is 5 hours rtp when things "go right".

That's why we are all different.
Lots of people drive 3 hours to and from a resort every weekend during ski season. A condo up there and they're gold. See Jay's post above. Many people disagree with you about whether or not it's "worth it".

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
^ So true, it's the only juice we got, otherwise we would starve.

We all have our favorites, you just have to try them all... which is easy ... since there are not many :)

edit: reminds me, I knew a guy in CA that drove 5 hours each way for his kids ski team.
double edit: I knew another guy that drove from CLT to Snowshoe each week for his kids team.

Last edited:
TS
F

Fonzy

Skier
Thanks all for the feedback.

TS
F

Fonzy

Skier
Fonzy, welcome - CLT here as well - look forward to meeting y'all sometime and skiing or other mtn sports. WNC is a Shangri-La for Mountain Biking if you are also into that - Pisgah National Forest around Brevard being the epicentre.

We have this thread for 2021-22 season that is chock full of great NC resort beta - be sure to check this out: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/2021-2022-mid-atlantic-ski-resorts-conditions-meetups.24505/

Glad to have more of us here on Skitalk!

RE: Ski team - we did Sugar one year w/ my son and as others mention door to door it was 2.5 sometimes 2.25 (I could get there in 2h15 if we smoked it) which does become a burden over time. Practice starts at 8 AM sharp "on the fence" at Sugar. They're flexible though and pretty laid back even though they do emphasize Ski racing. It was a great experience for us, yet one we didn't repeat. Wasn't a 'take' for him - he's a great skier now at 12 yo - does wrestling and football. If we lived up there, might have tried more seasons, dunno.

I have a thread on that experience somewhere here, was the 19-20 season I think before the crazy times kicked in.
Thanks for the info.
I do mountainbike as well so coming spring I will be definitely looking for spots to go.
By all replies I guess Sugar is the way to go for the kids to join a race team. We will be doing this drive every weekend, 2.5h doesn't seem too bad. Now I will have to figure out a place to stay up there, any suggestions?

Sponsor

Staff online