• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Moving to a 2-ski quiver

TS
M

Majikow

Booting up
Skier
That’s awesome! You’ll love them. Can’t wait to get on my new pair. And yes, the pivot 15/18 is a little beefier(but also heavier) compared to the 12/14 due to the metal. Can’t go wrong with any of them but most people would be totally fine with the lighter and still very solid 12/14.

The DPS A112RP is a fun surfy ski in tight spaces like the Wildcat but in crud, tracked powder and on soft groomers at higher speeds the Wildcat is in another league. The revised 2021 Wildcat will be better still. Unreal how good it is for it’s weight when things get rough in the afternoon. Think everyone has to experience the Bibby/Wildcat to see why they are so legendary.

Actually ended up just editing my order to get the Forza Pivot 15s just to check them out and get the metal body. I figured why not since I've saved a lot of money this year just by being stuck at home mostly.

Last edited:

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Actually ended up just editing my order to get the Forza Pivot 15s just to check them out and have metal body. I figured why not since I've saved a lot of money this year just by being stuck at home mostly.

Treat yo self!:ogbiggrin:
Those will look killer on the Wildcats!

TS
M

Majikow

Booting up
Skier
Pretty pumped to try these out on the mountain. After reading a bunch of forums, reviews, Blister, etc, these skis sound exactly like what I was looking for. Hopefully it's a good snow year.

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier
Please remember us. Come back to this thread and complete the circle by posting your ski review!
I agree, I am interested in these skis too. However, I tend to never pay full price my skis (lightly used demo, end of season deals...) Does anyone know if they do any discount during the season? Does powder 7 demos them?

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
Would Bent Chetler 120 fit the bill? I saw some on sale the other day and just curious of they would satisfy the OPs needs or are they a different category ski.

I did order myself 100mm version of Chetler to compliment my 70mm underfoot Redster X7.

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier
Would Bent Chetler 120 fit the bill? I saw some on sale the other day and just curious of they would satisfy the OPs needs or are they a different category ski.

I did order myself 100mm version of Chetler to compliment my 70mm underfoot Redster X7.
I did not ty these skis but from what I read I believe that the Bent Chetler is really on the playful side and more "pow" exclusive. The wildcat is more a playful charger and better in crud and mix snow conditions but with a bit less flotation.

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
I agree, I am interested in these skis too. However, I tend to never pay full price my skis (lightly used demo, end of season deals...) Does anyone know if they do any discount during the season? Does powder 7 demos them?

Oops. DPS has a "Dreamtime" sale every August. Pretty significant discounts.

Like in "last month."

Maybe jump on it and call them to see if there is any wiggle room?

P.S. I would like to pass on what a respected person once told me. "Demoing can be overrated. The demo conditions are rarely the conditions that you want to use the ski for. The conditions throughout the day are generally not the same throughout the day, so demoing two different skis during the same day in the same conditions is near impossible. So, read all the reviews you can especially on Pugski.com and take a leap of faith and decide what you want to buy, and then talk to the manufacturer's rep about what length to buy."

IIRC, that may have been @Philpug.

Or maybe not.

In any event, I bought the DPS Alchemist Wailer 100RP and skied them at Alta, Snowbird, Dear Valley and Kirkwood and am really happy with them.

I was looking for a trough skiing tight tree ski. The other skis I was considering were the Moment Wildcat and the Line Sick Day.

But these DPS 100RP really do everything I can ask of them.

Still would like to demo the Wildcat's to compare. . .

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier

Moment themselves demo from their Reno factory but there are reps around most major ski areas and have seen demos sold off at the end of the year at discount. They also have discounted skis at the end of the year as well. Just messaged with Luke at Moment and they have one pair of 2020 190cm Wildcats left and selling those for $599. These would be the same versions that Blistergear reviewed with the 2021 getting a little heavier wood core as well as upgraded bases. The 2020 would still be a fantastic ski!

The Bent Chetler 120 is a VERY light ski now that’s quite playful with a very forward freestyle mounting point. Very good float and super surfy but would not be in the same league as the Wildcat when it comes to tracked powder or crud.

Some other skis that would be fun and playful but can still handle some crud would the Volkl Revolt 121, Black Crows Anima, Line Outline(not quite as good as the first 2 in crud) and finally the Blizzard Rustler 11. Some of these might be around at deals still too.

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier
Moment themselves demo from their Reno factory but there are reps around most major ski areas and have seen demos sold off at the end of the year at discount. They also have discounted skis at the end of the year as well. Just messaged with Luke at Moment and they have one pair of 2020 190cm Wildcats left and selling those for $599. These would be the same versions that Blistergear reviewed with the 2021 getting a little heavier wood core as well as upgraded bases. The 2020 would still be a fantastic ski!

The Bent Chetler 120 is a VERY light ski now that’s quite playful with a very forward freestyle mounting point. Very good float and super surfy but would not be in the same league as the Wildcat when it comes to tracked powder or crud.

Some other skis that would be fun and playful but can still handle some crud would the Volkl Revolt 121, Black Crows Anima, Line Outline(not quite as good as the first 2 in crud) and finally the Blizzard Rustler 11. Some of these might be around at deals still too.

What I meant was buying former demos skis. I did that for my liberty v76 and they have less sign of wear than my Rustler that I bought new and used 15 days (I fall more trying to do stupid things on the laters...). So, I was hopping to find something similar...
I looked at skiburger that is Moment’s outlet but they don’t have wildcats RN (and at 5’9” / 160lbs, I am looking for a 179cm).

I also have the Rustler 11 in mind, it’s easier to find good deal on these but skiing in Tahoe I would like to support a local business.

At the end it will depend on the deal I will find...

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
What I meant was buying former demos skis. I did that for my liberty v76 and they have less sign of wear than my Rustler that I bought new and used 15 days (I fall more trying to do stupid things on the laters...). So, I was hopping to find something similar...
I looked at skiburger that is Moment’s outlet but they don’t have wildcats RN (and at 5’9” / 160lbs, I am looking for a 179cm).

I also have the Rustler 11 in mind, it’s easier to find good deal on these but skiing in Tahoe I would like to support a local business.

At the end it will depend on the deal I will find...

They do sell off their demos at the end of the year as do all the company reps with their stock.
No 179cm till next spring as that’s a new size for this upcoming year-last year was 174cm then 184cm. Think they had a new 2020 Wildcat in 174cm left but with their long rocker, you should be on a 179cm-184cm Wildcat. Might see some used 184cm Wildcats come up with the upgraded 2021 models out. Already sold my 184cm Bibbys a few weeks ago.

A 180 Rustler 11 would be a nice ski too and some places still have deals in stock of the 180cm.

edit-just looked online and this place ships free anywhere in North America and has the Rustler 11 180cm for $480 CAN/$375 US. Not going to beat that deal.

Last edited:

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
Oops. DPS has a "Dreamtime" sale every August. Pretty significant discounts.

Like in "last month."

Maybe jump on it and call them to see if there is any wiggle room?

P.S. I would like to pass on what a respected person once told me. "Demoing can be overrated. The demo conditions are rarely the conditions that you want to use the ski for. The conditions throughout the day are generally not the same throughout the day, so demoing two different skis during the same day in the same conditions is near impossible. So, read all the reviews you can especially on Pugski.com and take a leap of faith and decide what you want to buy, and then talk to the manufacturer's rep about what length to buy."

IIRC, that may have been @Philpug.

Or maybe not.

In any event, I bought the DPS Alchemist Wailer 100RP and skied them at Alta, Snowbird, Dear Valley and Kirkwood and am really happy with them.

I was looking for a trough skiing tight tree ski. The other skis I was considering were the Moment Wildcat and the Line Sick Day.

But these DPS 100RP really do everything I can ask of them.

Still would like to demo the Wildcat's to compare. . .

Demoing powder skis is an exercise in futility and frustration if you’re OPs/my size. At many areas few shops even offer demos of 110+ widths and those that do rarely have the longest size of them. After you track the skis down you have to pray to the snow gods overnight.

There is also a non-trivial issue in that many people’s favorite powder skis are from brands that don’t demo outside of their home markets. More trouble than it’s worth imo.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Demoing powder skis is an exercise in futility and frustration if you’re OPs/my size. At many areas few shops even offer demos of 110+ widths and those that do rarely have the longest size of them. After you track the skis down you have to pray to the snow gods overnight.

There is also a non-trivial issue in that many people’s favorite powder skis are from brands that don’t demo outside of their home markets. More trouble than it’s worth imo.
FWIW, I've yet to ski a 110+ ski that didn't ski powder extremely well. It might be the easiest design brief in the industry.

My two fav's are the Bodacious (186), and the Atomic Backland 117 (194) . Very very different skis, but if you can't ski powder on either of these, there are bigger 'archer and arrow' issues involved.

Last edited:

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier
FWIW, I've yet to ski a 110+ ski that didn't ski powder extremely well. It might be the easiest design brief in the industry.

My two fav's are the Bodacious (186), and the Atomic Backland 117 (194) . Very very different skis, but if you can't ski powder on either of these, there are bigger 'archer and arrow' issues involved.

I am a surfer and when my beginners friends ask my opinion on a board I usually show them this video of Kelly slater surfing on a table For sure it’s not the easiest, but like in skis there is no bad board, just some slight differences in program, feeling.

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier

I agree to some extent but then the premise of the question “what powder ski should I buy?” is rendered meaningless. My own experience is just like every other kind of ski, there are better and worse options for me with powder skis even in the target waist width. Especially if you add in the fact that I will often use the pow skis in soft chop in the afternoon I just don’t feel like they’re all the same (even if all or almost all are going to be better than an Enforcer 100).

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think most powder skis ski untracked powder pretty well, duuh. Its how they ski "not in powder" that separates them. If heli skiing one type of ski, if PNW dense powder skiing another, East Coast icy powder, yet another. Then there's the question of how wide do you go??

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
FWIW, the widest ski I've used on a PNW lift served pow day has been a 105. But the 118's are always there lurking in the closet. :)

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier
FWIW, the widest ski I've used on a PNW lift served pow day has been a 105. But the 118's are always there lurking in the closet. :)
I already have the Rustler 9 that I like as Tahoe "everyday" ski. It's fine on groomer where I ski with my wife (if I use narrower skis I am tempted to go faster and then I have to wait for her, with the Rustler I am more looking for small jumps all around), and works really in shallow crud and is easy to pivot in steep or trees. I look for 110-120 skis to not have to much overlap and avoid the dilemna about what skis to take in the morning.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Agree that all wide skis usually float quite well and make skiing powder way easier but as others have said, powder skis can vary hugely when you aren’t in untracked powder. Think powder skis actually vary their flex, rocker profiles, taper and shape and weight more than most all mountain skis do. Reverse sidecuts, lots of taper, all types of rocker types and weights from super light touring models to very heavy chargers.

Like choosing all mountain skis, the skier will have to prioritize what attributes they want in a ski based on their location and style of skiing. The great thing about the Enforcers as well as powder skis like the Wildcats and others discussed in this thread are their VERSATILITY. No matter what the conditions later in the powder day, the Wildcats won’t slow you down and have even used my Bibby’s a few days after storms if the groomers are still soft and there is still fresh snow in the trees. Also a blast in heavy spring crud even in the East!

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
I already have the Rustler 9 that I like as Tahoe "everyday" ski. It's fine on groomer where I ski with my wife (if I use narrower skis I am tempted to go faster and then I have to wait for her, with the Rustler I am more looking for small jumps all around), and works really in shallow crud and is easy to pivot in steep or trees. I look for 110-120 skis to not have to much overlap and avoid the dilemna about what skis to take in the morning.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that at all. It's just that time of year when everyone is thinking we all vehemently disagree with each other about everything even when we don't. :)

Sponsor

Staff online