• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Moving to a 2-ski quiver

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's not always just about the width. My MB108s "plane up" as well or better than my Ranger 115s.

And when things get cut up, the 108s are substantially better.

Beach Bum

Getting off the lift
Skier
My 2-ski quiver is Kastle MX88 in 189 and Head Kore 105 in 189 though I think they are more like 107 wide. But then I live in Midwest and ski a lot of ice and hard packed stuff. 95% of time in skiing fresh snow and powder between here and out west those will do. In the event of 12"+ I can demo some 115's. I guess that's point of a 2-ski quiver.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

pipestem

Out on the slopes
Skier
i guess i did this inadvertently - i have the old Black Diamond Kilowatts with barons as the big skis, and a new pair of Volkl Kanjos (so, so cheap) for the little skis. This is I admit mainly because I have been unable to unload the Black Diamonds and wanted different bindings on the Kanjos. So there I go. Living in NC, I need two pairs of skis like I need two holes in the head, but that's a different matter.

TS
M

Majikow

Booting up
Skier
It's been a few years, and haven't gotten nearly as much time on the Wildcats as I'd like (even had to defer my Ikon pass this year cause we had a 2nd kid), but of the times I've taken them out I have to say I love them. So thanks for all the guidance and recommendations. I've taken them out at Big Sky, Mammoth, Lake Louise/Sunshine and every time they've been nothing but pure fun. Obviously great in powder, but just like everyone mentioned you can really push them even on hardpack and crud and they are way more stable and confidence inspiring than I would have expected for such a wide ski.

Picked up my 23/24 Ikon pass to get some spring skiing in and while I didn't take them out at Big Bear last weekend for the 3 days I skied, I'm hoping to get on them up at Mammoth at the end of April. It's weird as I feel almost self conscious about them as they're so wide and people have commented on them in the lift lines (though I also just got that 2x this past weekend riding my enforcer 100s at Big Bear / Snow Summit, so who knows) as if they're just too wide to be riding in anything but 2+ feet of powder, but those skis are just too much fun that I want to ride them sometimes even if the conditions don't warrant a powder ski.

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
I had the original Bibbys (now Wildcats) and I didn’t really find them to be a very good untracked powder ski. Maybe newer models have changed that. They were an exceptionally good crud and rough-snow charger though. If I skied busy Sierra resorts, I’d want a pair.

Last edited:

angstroms

Putting on skis
Skier
It was interesting looking Moment Countach vs Wildcat and Black Crows Anima, could be another good option.

1681302709485.png

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
I had the original Bibbys (now Wildcats) and I didn’t really find them to be a very good untracked powder ski. Maybe newer models have changed that. They were an exceptionally good crud and rough-snow charger though. If I skied busy Sierra resorts, I’d want a pair.
The Wildcats aren't the best float for their width. But the Wildcat 108's are easily one of my favorite skis. They still work well enough in untracked and I find them very versatile. The Countach looks very interesting but I haven't been on them.