• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Moving to a 2-ski quiver

Majikow

Booting up
Skier
So I moved out to the west coast a couple years ago from Pennsylvania and realized quickly once I found some powder that my Atomic carving skis were not the best equipment for skiing out here (mainly Mammoth, but also a trip or two to Colorado/Jackson Hole, etc each year). Finally picked up a pair of 193 cm Nordica Enforcer 100s last year (i'm 6'2", 220 lbs, like to ski fast in everything except trees) figuring that'd make a pretty solid all mountain ski, and I've been loving them whether in some powder (skied them in up to a 1-1.5 ft), hardpack, groomers, crud, etc. However I did notice at Mammoth and Jackson Hole over the last 2 years that when the powder gets deep or I'm in tighter stuff like trees/steeps, the 100 underfoot and larger turning radius of the 193cms can leave me feeling a little less than nimble.

Would something like a 115 powder ski be a good addition for those heavy powder days (which I've been pretty blessed with over the last 2 years)? And if so, anyone have any recommendations for a ski that would be a good fit if I really like the Enforcers? I saw that they make a 115, but don't want to rule out everything else. Doesn't seem like I really "need" a 2nd pair of skis, but I figure if I can pick something up at a decent price at the end of the season it doesn't hurt to keep an eye out, especially if it'll make those powder days a lot more enjoyable.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
When I started reading this, I thought, hmmm he wants to add a narrower ski to be your second ski....then I continued reading and read you wanted something wider. OK, paging @DoryBreaux our resident Tahoe/Mammoth clydesdale.

Oh, and welcome to the site and the west coast. BTW, you didn't happen to bring an Scrapple with you did ya?

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
I like my Enforcer 115's for deeper days, the Blizzard Rustler 11 also works great, as do Enforcer 110's. I also rode a 193 Enforcer 100 (21m turn radius) the past couple of years--you might want to try something in the 185-188 length range with maybe a 18m or so turn radius, as it will be a bit more nimble in trees and tight spots--I've been liking my 186 cm Enforcer 104's.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not quite your size (200) and love the E100. Above that, I would grab my Ranger 115s, but........they are just wider than ideal once things get cut up.

Ended up with a Mindbender 108, and I'm stoked. Only 8 mm wider, but they are made to plane!

TS
M

Majikow

Booting up
Skier
Oh, and welcome to the site and the west coast. BTW, you didn't happen to bring an Scrapple with you did ya?

I do have some soupies, no scrapple though. I could probably have my dad ship me some though since he's still in PA.

Does it make sense to size down a bit in length if I went with something like a 115 for the heavy powder days?

For the E100, I was kind of in between sizes but the guy at the shop recommended I go with the 193s because of the rocker and since I spent most of my time carving, ski aggressively, and I'm on the heavier side for my height. Then I had two seasons where I got blessed with like a foot plus of powder on half the days I went out and while the E100 held up great and I did't have a lot of complaints (especially after having to ski a foot of powder at Breck the year before with atomic megacarves that are 83 underfoot i believe), but I've also wondered if it made sense to try and pick up something wider specifically for those lucky days.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll definitely check those out.

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
I have some (now somewhat dated) Nordica Patrons that I love when I manage to score some Sierra 'Powder' at Mammoth or June. They're 117mm waist width and carve decent too.

Bu the guy who really tears the powder to pieces at Mammoth is Bernie Rosow who skis on Black Crows.
Here's his edit from last year. And his Instagram is worth a follow too, if you're into that sort of thing.

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Kastle FX 116 and Moment Commander 118 come to mind...
I would 100% encourage you to get a bigger ski. Fat skis are cool. Not as cool as everyone at Squaw seems to think they are, but they do make deep snow a whole different game. But I would also encourage you to demo first if you've never been on anything bigger than your Enforcers. Not so much to try a specific ski, but just so you understand the characteristics of a wider ski. It takes some getting familiar with.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The issue with 193cm Enforcer 100 in tight trees isn’t really the turning radius, it’s the sheer length, overall ski weight and swing weight you’re fighting against. You’re not really carving in those situations, you’re skidding and pivoting so a ski with more rocker, lighter swing weight etc will make a huge difference.

Even switching to the new 2021 Enforcer 100 in the 191cm length with it’s lighter swing weight would make things easier there.
Additional width like you’d get on the Enforcer 115 Free would as well hugely help float and it’s tail rocker and shape would increase it’s ability to pivot. I hear it’s getting updates for next year too but haven’t seen anything from Nordica confirming that.

Moment Wildcat in the 190cm is super easy to ski in tight places but can haul through crud and tracked powder. It’s as well getting updates for next year making it a little heavier and returning it to it’s “Bibby level” stability but should still be easier to ski than the Bibby was.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
Mammoth guy here, in my opinion you can get really really specific when you go for a Mammoth powder ski because it’s for one day.
The ski you have now will be perfect for the next four or five days.

TS
M

Majikow

Booting up
Skier
So I'm starting to look at picking up a new pair of skis again now that I've booked some Mammoth trips and a trip to Big Sky (fingers crossed COvID doesn't put too much of a damper on things for all of us). I think I've mostly narrowed it down to the Enforcer 110 in a 185 or the Moment Wildcat in 184. See some pretty decent deals for 2018 and 2019 demo Enforcer 110s which is enticing, especially since I know I'm already an Enforcer fan, but the Moment Wildcats have definitely caught my interest. Unfortunately doesn't look like there's many of the previous years models / demos available.

I'm not sure if the E110s in 185 would be too similar to my E100 193s, but seems like the width and shorter length would be good for days with a little more snow or for getting off piste into some tighter stuff and then having the E100s for days with less fresh snow when I just want to go fast and have more stability.

Looks like I could get demo E110s in 185 with bindings for $400-500, whereas the best I'm doing for Wildcat is $750 just for the skis.

Anyone skied both of these skis?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Own the 186cm Enforcer 104, owned the flatter tailed 185cm Enforcer 93, owned the 184cm Moment Bibby(replaced with the 2021 190cm Wildcat) and have skied the older Enforcer 100 and 110. I’m 6’2”/175 and love to ski fast and ski mostly trees when out West.

The 186cm Enforcer 110 Free would definitely be an upgrade in the powder due to the increased float and would be easier to pivot in trees with it’s increased tail rocker and larger tail splay(twin tip tail). I would look more to deals on brand new models from last year as they would have the latest “Carbon Chassis” found in the Enforcer 104/88. The 2018/19 models didn’t and also I wouldn’t want a heavy demo binding on a ski you’d be skiing in tight trees. Deals on SkiEssentials on the 2020 versions and extra discounts for PugSki members.

The Moment Wildcat would be another big jump in float as it’s 118mm in the 190cm which is the right length for anyone over 175lbs or so. The deep rocker tip/tail along with very wide tip/tail splay and more forward binding mount makes it even easier to pivot than the slightly shorter Enforcer. The 184cm version could have some tip dive on larger skiers with a more forward stance that the 190cm

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Moment was supposed to update the 2021 Wildcat to make it as damp as the previous model(Bibby) while still being easier to ski. They changed the core to a heavier, damper wood and then upgraded the sidewall material and added faster, more durable bases. Should now be near class leading in crud yet still very light swing weight in tight spots. No deals on them as it’s a brand new model but you will see deals I’m sure of new buyers selling off their old Wildcats or Bibbys in the next few months. I’ve already sold my 184cm as they are highly sought after.

So 2020 185cm Enforcer 110 if you want increased float in an easier to manage and more playful ski than you have in your current 100s. 190cm 2021 Wildcat for even more float, even easier in tight trees ski that will be a revelation in tracked powder.

Pictures to compare the length, rocker and tip/tail splay of a 2021 190cm Wildcat, 186 Enforcer 104(similar to the 110) and a Fisher 102 FR(still more tail splay than your Enforcer 100).

CE06BC4D-1EAB-4DA3-9295-00CE816FE23C.jpeg
0DBE1B3E-8B11-43CE-9397-C378BF914E1E.jpeg

TS
M

Majikow

Booting up
Skier
Wow. Super helpful. Thank you! I didn't realize they updated the 110 Enforcer either, so thanks for that especially. I think I'm tempted to go for the Wildcats given your feedback. Maybe time to splurge a bit (I'm fine with riding my skis forever, so I usually get my moneys worth, got 20 years out of the old Atomic Megacarves). I currently have Look Pivot 12s on my E100s, so do you think that binding with the 115mm brakes (bent out a little) would be a decent binding for the Wildcats?

EDIT: I see that Moment actually gives you the option to buy them with the 115mm brake Pivot 12s so I assume that answers that question.

Last edited:

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
Agree with everything @GregK wrote.

My $0.02 in addition - if you want a powder & crud ski go 190 cm Wildcat and it's not close. I'm about your height/weight and it was amazing to me how much better a long, wide pow ski felt when I first got one. You can actually pressure the tips without tomahawking and looking stupid.

I would add that pow skis seem not to benefit that much from metal, though I do think they should be pretty stout ideally (which the Wildcat is by all reports). Moreover, the shape of the Wildcat is much looser and less directional than the Enforcer so it ought to be easier in trees and other places you need to pivot.

That said, I have no experience with either the "wide" Wildcat or Enforcer 110, though I own both narrower Wildcat models (my 115 ski is an ON3P). If you want other recommendations that are possibly more budget friendly happy to help but otherwise just buy the Wildcat and I doubt you'll regret it...

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
Often discussed with the Sick Day and the Wildcat is the DPS Alchemist Wailer 112RP:

1599594320470.png

May take some getting used to putting on in deep powder, but 2 more thumbs up for Look Pivot 12 binding.

TS
M

Majikow

Booting up
Skier
Alright. Just pulled the trigger on the Wildcat 190 w/ Pivot 12s. They also sell the Pivot 15s which are a little over a $100 more. Didn't even realize they were making the 15s again til I saw that. Not sure it's worth it for me (normally 8/9 DIN), but I'm guessing the metal construction would probably hold up better long term.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Alright. Just pulled the trigger on the Wildcat 190 w/ Pivot 12s. They also sell the Pivot 15s which are a little over a $100 more. Didn't even realize they were making the 15s again til I saw that. Not sure it's worth it for me (normally 8/9 DIN), but I'm guessing the metal construction would probably hold up better long term.

That’s awesome! You’ll love them. Can’t wait to get on my new pair. And yes, the pivot 15/18 is a little beefier(but also heavier) compared to the 12/14 due to the metal. Can’t go wrong with any of them but most people would be totally fine with the lighter and still very solid 12/14.

Often discussed with the Sick Day and the Wildcat is the DPS Alchemist Wailer 112RP:

The DPS A112RP is a fun surfy ski in tight spaces like the Wildcat but in crud, tracked powder and on soft groomers at higher speeds the Wildcat is in another league. The revised 2021 Wildcat will be better still. Unreal how good it is for it’s weight when things get rough in the afternoon. Think everyone has to experience the Bibby/Wildcat to see why they are so legendary.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
6' 2", 220#? I'll go out in the weeds here, but at the OP's size, a Blizzard Bodacious could added to the discussion. The beauty I'd the 186 is plenty long. Don't let the turn radius freak you out (32m)... there is no camber in these so they can pivot easily. They can also bust crud as opposed to bouncing around on top of the chop.

Last edited:

Sponsor